News   Jul 23, 2024
 173     0 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 301     1 
News   Jul 23, 2024
 1.1K     3 

GO Transit: Union Station Shed Replacement & Track Upgrades (Zeidler)

We were all in some way responsible for 9/11 happening. Period. (And a nice way of deflecting from the inside job/conspirational theorists.)

Again, onward.

Whoopsiedoodle! I thought this was the thread on the GO train shed. My bad. Now, please, continue on with your 9/11 conspiracy talk!

Whoopsiedoodle! I thought this was the thread on the GO train shed. My bad. Now, please, continue on with your 9/11 conspiracy talk!

LOL, well not for a while now!! That was a pretty pointless discussion. Back on topic!! Any new info, I mean I literally haven`t heard anything about this for a while now!

Edit: Oh, right I know, it`s been canceled!!

LOL, well not for a while now!! That was a pretty pointless discussion. Back on topic!! Any new info, I mean I literally haven`t heard anything about this for a while now!

Edit: Oh, right I know, it`s been canceled!!

Not much, but I did read an article today that said Miller has been pressing the feds for cash for Transit City and the Union Station Revitalization, so we will see.

I could see the Feds committing $100 million or so specifically for the Union Station Revitalization as it could score some quick, relatively cheap, political points.

Last edited:
Not much, but I did read an article today that said Miller has been pressing the feds for cash for Transit City and the Union Station Revitalization, so we will see.

LOL again? I hope this time something comes out of the talks, I mean Miller's been begging for money since forever!!

I think this has already been reported earlier in the thread but GO are expecting to start work on the train shed early in 2009 (as soon as the new platforms 13/14) are finished. The Union Station Modernisation www site
( http://www.gotransit.com/unionstationrenewal/improvements.htm ) says:

Planned Construction for Train Shed Roof Rehabilitation

A design team has been hired to assist with the train shed roof rehabilitation project. This project will see substantial improvements to the passenger environment at platform level. The work will include:

Replacing the smoke ducts over the tracks with new ones. The historic design is actually very efficient at venting locomotive exhaust away from the passenger zone while keeping out the rain and snow, so the new smoke ducts will replicate the old ones but with new materials that will stand up to the elements better than the originals.
Taking off the built-up roofing and parts of the timber deck and replacing them with a new roof that is more watertight.
Fixing the rainwater downspouts.
Repairing and fixing the steel trusses and painting them. When they were first installed, they were painted a light colour to reflect light. We are going to repaint them in a colour close to the original.
Improving the lighting on the platform to make it brighter and more energy-efficient. The original lights cast some light up towards the roof so that you could see the trusses and the timber roof deck. The new lighting will also do this to make the roof less dark.
Removing all of the old wiring and generally organizing the loudspeakers, signs, and lights into a more efficient pattern.
We are starting to plan how we will do this work. We will have to take tracks out of service one or two at a time and use that area for our trucks and materials. The construction zone will be closed off to separate it from the rest of the passenger areas. Our design team will soon be able to tell us how long this work will take, but we will make every effort to make this time as short as possible.

LOL again? I hope this time something comes out of the talks, I mean Miller's been begging for money since forever!!

Its seems like I read a quote from Miller pleading for Transit City funds every day... in fact, one of Miller's New Years resolutions is to work with all federal parties to get Transit City funds :) (according to the Metro paper)!

LOL, well of course, his other New Years resolution is money for the waterfront. Although, I do understand that the city has no money and that these improvements are direly needed, but it's so hilarious when Miller goes around every politician in the country asking for money. How about cutting some of the councilor's budgets. I recall there was a councilor who didn't pay for his space because it was on city property, and his budget was extremely small, and instead of congratulating him, the council made him pay. I'm not sure if that's exact, but is was along those lines.

I recall there was a councilor who didn't pay for his space because it was on city property, and his budget was extremely small, and instead of congratulating him, the council made him pay. I'm not sure if that's exact, but is was along those lines.

I'm not familiar with this case but it seems appropriate. If it was on city land then some city department was stuck maintaining the space and this councillor wasn't paying.

At very least he would have had 50 sqft of real-estate valued at a minimum of $20/sqft per year (Class A) possibly higher (~$50/sqft) if it was potential retail space.

If it is a Rob Ford type deal, where he expenses everything to his for-profit business, then he was potentially committing fraud as councillors are not allowed to take donations -- including paper, staplers, office equipment, office space, etc. even from their own business due to conflicts of interest.

Keep in mind that shareholders of a business are generally not allowed to operate them when in federal/provincial office if there is any potential conflict. I'm not sure what city policy is but if Prime Minister Paul Martin decided to operate as prime minister out of his shipping companies office, Canadians would have serious issues with that.

Open, non-corrupt, and transparent government comes with a ton of rules and lots of expense to enforce them. This seems to become more complex and expensive as time goes on.

Last edited:
GO ridership explodes.

Up by 8.5%
http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2008/12/11/7703871-sun.html
Ridership from January to the end of October is up 8.2% compared to last year. That means there has been almost 46 million GO trips so far in 2008, up from 42.5 million for the same period in 2007.

So it was around 50 million last year and it will jump to 54 million.

However there was a York Strike.

I was wondering, if they based this on number of tickets it is easily off another 5%. I know some people who do not pay or pay for every 2 or 3 trips

JENNIFER LEWINGTON

CITY HALL BUREAU CHIEF

January 26, 2009

Amid signs of life for its long-awaited facelift, Union Station is seen as a strong contender for infrastructure dollars expected to flow from tomorrow's federal budget.

With an eye to Finance Minister Jim Flaherty's much-anticipated economic stimulus package, Mayor David Miller describes the station's renewal, planned over the next seven years, as one "that makes perfect sense to expedite."

The mayor has asked Mr. Flaherty to put $75-million toward the estimated $615-million renewal, which already assumes funding from the city, the province and an as-yet-unnamed private investor. As well, provincially owned GO Transit plans to spend about $500-million over the same period, including $280-million on signal equipment and $220-million for a new train shed, two new tracks and improved pedestrian flow inside the station.

"There is direct national economic historical and transportation interest in this hub," Mr. Miller said of the federally designated heritage building. "This is about Toronto's international competitiveness. This is about Canada's international competitiveness."

Ottawa has signalled its broad interest in a project that aims to ease the rush-hour crush for thousands of daily commuters from across the Toronto region.

"Revitalizing Union Station is an exciting process which ministers [Transportation Minister John] Baird and [Finance Minister Jim] Flaherty are working on," said Christopher Day, a spokesman for Mr. Baird. "It's something that will be considered as we prepare for the federal budget," he added, noting Mr. Baird has met with the mayor and Ontario Minister of Energy and Infrastructure George Smitherman on the project.

On an annual basis, Union Station handles more passengers (43 million on GO Train and bus, 20 million on the TTC and 2.4 million on VIA Rail) than Pearson International Airport.

Whatever Ottawa's financial pledge, this year already marks a quickening in the pace of renewal for the 82-year-old building.

By early spring, the city aims to name a private-sector investor (likely the real-estate arm of a pension fund) to manage new commercial space at Union Station, including a new lower retail concourse. Earlier projections of 18,800 square metres of retail were cut to 15,300 square metres to allow for wider pedestrian corridors through the station.

Despite the credit crunch, Mr. Miller says the city continues to have "positive conversations with potential private-sector partners."

Meanwhile, other work under way this year includes:

Rebuilding the pedestrian "bridge" on Front Street between the station and the sidewalk by 2010 at a cost of $4-million.

Design work on the northwest PATH connection, a $65-million underground pedestrian link between the northwest corner of Union Station and downtown offices.

Plans by GO Transit to seek industry bids next month to replace its aging train shed over the tracks. The new 2.8-hectare replacement structure would have a green roof over a portion of the tracks and a 15-metre-high central glass and steel atrium. Construction is set for later this summer, with completion by 2014.

Expected confirmation of a deal, announced in principle late last year, for GO Transit to buy a portion of the west wing of Union Station for its new head office.

Continuing design work by the TTC on a new subway platform and mezzanine at Union Station. Construction of the $137.5-million project is expected to begin in 2010 and wrap up in 2012-13.

Continuing design work by the TTC on a new subway platform and mezzanine at Union Station. Construction of the $137.5-million project is expected to begin in 2010 and wrap up in 2012-13.

DESIGN? I thought this had already started and was designed long ago. God knows we already saw renders years ago.

Back