News   Mar 28, 2024
 173     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.9K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.2K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Anyone know when the new bi-level cab cars are supposed to start appearing?

These guys:

nivjQzG.png

Anyone know when the new bi-level cab cars are supposed to start appearing?

These guys:

The first two are on the assembly lines in Thunder Bay, but may very well be subject to the same supply-chain issues that have been plaguing the legacy fleet streetcars.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Free WiFi Coming To 22 More GO Stations

TORONTO, January 30, 2015 – Metrolinx is rolling out free WiFi access at 22 more GO stations starting February 2, 2015.

This follows a successful pilot program that rolled out free WiFi at 14 stations and terminals starting in spring 2013. This second phase will provide about 80 per cent of all GO customers with free Internet access across a total of 36 stations. The remaining 31 stations and terminals across the GO network will be connected during a third and final phase later this year.

"Our unprecedented public transit investments are making transit a better choice for commuters," said Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation. "This is further proof of our government’s commitment to making the daily commute more convenient and the quality of life better for Ontario families."

"We’re bringing free WiFi to our stations to make it even more convenient to take GO Transit," said Bruce McCuaig, President and CEO of Metrolinx. "Whether it's free Internet access while you wait, an easy-to-use mobile GO website, or service alerts delivered right to your inbox, we’re committed to giving our customers the tools they need to stay in the know."

Customers can select the network name starting with “Free WiFi at GO” from their available networks to access the service, which is provided through a partnership with GO Transit’s advertising partner, IMA Outdoor, and its sponsors.

This project is part of Metrolinx’s plan to provide residents and businesses in the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area with convenient and customer-friendly transit. Working through its divisions – GO Transit, PRESTO, and Union Pearson Express – Metrolinx is transforming the way the region moves.

•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•*•

WiFi at GO stations

TORONTO, January 30, 2015 – As of February 2, through its partnership with IMA Outdoor, Metrolinx will be providing free WiFi access at a total of 36 GO stations and terminals.

Phase 2 – Begins February 2, 2015

WiFi will be available for customers at the following 22 additional locations, bringing free WiFi access to approximately 80 per cent of customers.

Aldershot GO Station
Brampton GO Station
Bronte GO Station
Burlington GO Station
Danforth GO Station
Eglinton GO Station
Erindale GO Station
Exhibition GO Station
Guildwood GO Station
Hamilton GO Station
Longbranch GO Station
Maple GO Station
Meadowvale GO Station
Milton GO Station
Mimico GO Station
Oshawa GO Station
Port Credit GO Station
Rouge Hill GO Station
Scarborough GO Station
Streetsville GO Station
Unionville GO Station
Whitby GO Station
Phase 1 – Completed in Spring 2013

The following 14 GO locations received WiFi access during Phase 1:

Ajax GO Station
Appleby GO Station
Aurora GO Station
Bramalea GO Station
Clarkson GO Station
Cooksville GO Station
Finch GO Station
Mount Joy GO Station
Oakville GO Station
Pickering GO Station
Richmond Hill GO Station
Square One GO Terminal
Union Station Bus Terminal
Yorkdale GO Terminal

"Our unprecedented public transit investments are making transit a better choice for commuters," said Steven Del Duca, Minister of Transportation. "This is further proof of our government’s commitment to making the daily commute more convenient and the quality of life better for Ontario families."

Typical political spiel. You would think they announced a new mega project, but it's only free wifi we're talking about here.

The WiFi is pretty limited in scope. It usually only reaches the main station building. 50 meters away and there's nothing, so you can't really access it from the platforms. I notice at Burlington station, the free wifi from the Wal-Mart 500 metres down the road reaches most of the platform.

Last edited:
http://t.thestar.com/#/article/news...ilot-project-launched-on-lakeshore-lines.html

It's a 1 year fare integration experiment for TTC users between Exhibition & Danforth stations. Nothing to do with Smarttrack in terms of service but in terms of a fare integration strategy between Go & TTC (but only in this particular part of the Lakeshore corridor).

One of the Stouffville CSAs has been having a great time with this: "You can all spread your legs now; all seven have gotten off." Granted this is a rough week to start a pilot, but I hope we move away from the idea of trying to run local and commuter rail on the same line, especially with the threat of Smartrack becoming "GO with more stops."

I have said from the early 2000 starting with the Halton 2nd track EA upgrade that all corridors must have 4 tracks when CN/CP are operating in the same corridor. I said we will be back in 15 years to add that 2nd GO track and on the books to happen now.

The same thing was stated during the EA for the Lakeshore line when the 3rd track was being added. The Lakeshore needs to be 4 tracks from end to end and this will require rebuilding overpasses which will be costly compare to the underpasses. Browns Line is the worse one that come to mind beside the ones in Parkdale. Parkdale area needs to be 6 tracks to the yards, but will most likely see 5 tracks because of the CNE station.

It is also time to close or grade separate various crossing. A fair number of grade separation will have a major impact on local communities to the point roads will have to be close or relocated as well tearing down buildings.

The Lakeshore would see local trains use tracks 1 & 4 with express using 2 & 3. In some cases you can add a 3rd or 5th track to corridors, since there is enough room to do so to offer more options to deal with a track being out of service or better operation.

One of the Stouffville CSAs has been having a great time with this: "You can all spread your legs now; all seven have gotten off." Granted this is a rough week to start a pilot, but I hope we move away from the idea of trying to run local and commuter rail on the same line, especially with the threat of Smartrack becoming "GO with more stops."

The real problem is that this pilot project is a half-baked idea. Even people who live within walking distance of Danforth GO aren't switching, because the time savings isn't enough to justify another $60 a month and having to adhere to the irregular GO schedule. If Metrolinx is serious, they need to include all Scarborough stops and offer more frequent, consistent service.

The real problem is that this pilot project is a half-baked idea. Even people who live within walking distance of Danforth GO aren't switching, because the time savings isn't enough to justify another $60 a month and having to adhere to the irregular GO schedule. If Metrolinx is serious, they need to include all Scarborough stops and offer more frequent, consistent service.

If Metrolinx was serious, they would set-up a co-fare agreement like every other GTHA transit agency. The TTC-GO fare sticker is a bit backwards. Other co-fares in the GTHA will give you a discount on municipal transit, not GO. This design is supposed to give you an incentive to take municipal transit as a complement to GO, not a substitute.

From the numbers I calculated, it didn't look like the TTC-GO sticker was completely out of line with the discounts available elsewhere in the GTHA. If it was cheaper (and therefore more people used it), then we would be talking about TTC users getting a deal (compared to those who use the GO and other GTHA transit other than the TTC). But the bigger question to me was the impact on space. A good example is Kipling. Someone living near there can choose between 40 mins on the TTC for $130/month (MDP w/ fare increase), or 20 mins for $180/month. If you made the GO-TTC sticker less than $60, they're looking at upwards of $120 in savings, and reaping all of GO's time benefit. I'm willing to bet some people will undoubtedly shell out for that. While that will provide relief on Line 2 and any major connection points downstream (+ vice-versa) it’s extra pressure on the GO.

I remember when I used to take the train back in 2012, it was always packed. I sucked it up because it was a nice 20 min ride with no stops. Now there are more trains, GO says every new rush hour train fills to capacity 6 months after being added to service. Now we face the question of how extra Torontonians on the GO impacts the space and comfort of 905/Greater Horseshoe commuters, who pay as much or more for their GO fare alone.

We could add more GO trains running within the City of Toronto, but this will be an operational and infrastructure building challenge. But why would we be wasting money on this run-around solution instead of building more TTC rapid transit now? If the province, the city and Metrolinx want to solve Toronto congestion, they are ignoring the solution right in front of them: implement the original Metrolinx Investment Strategy, raise $2 billion annually, and start building The Big Move. That includes a subway extension to Richmond Hill; the Relief Line; automatic train control; LRTs on Finch, Jane, Don Mills, Steeles, along the Western Waterfront and East Bayfront, in Scarborough/Malvern; and keep everything in good repair.

This TTC-GO sticker is just a waste of time and money. Implementing a co-fare would give Torontonians a break, not crowd the GO, and create an incentive for employment centres other than around Union Station.

If Metrolinx was serious, they would set-up a co-fare agreement like every other GTHA transit agency. The TTC-GO fare sticker is a bit backwards. Other co-fares in the GTHA will give you a discount on municipal transit, not GO. This design is supposed to give you an incentive to take municipal transit as a complement to GO, not a substitute.

Co-fare agreements would be much easier to implement with Presto, which is why I suspect GO and the TTC are waiting. Implementing a new co-fare system without full Presto adoption on the TTC would make things extremely confusing for the average user. The current pilot project is just a stop-gap measure using existing payment infrastructure, because it wouldn't be worth launching an expansive new co-fare system when that system is likely to be replaced by Presto within a couple of years.

At the very least, I think we'll see a co-fare agreement once Presto is fully adopted, although ideally I'd like to see a completely integrated fare system across the GTHA, not just co-fare agreements between agencies.

Back