News   Apr 19, 2024
 584     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 618     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Agreed, although I suspect that the West Toronto Diamond and Georgetown South Service Expansion will be just as disruptive when construction really ramps up. I'd rather they stick with buses until it's all done than go through several cycles of re-instating and removing trains. That's my personal preference, of course.

Yes the Diamond and the whole line been upgraded as well poor ridership is the reason for the Cancellation.

Then there is work to be done on the fly-under at Bathurst Yard which still has yet to get underway.

Dufferin Jog has next to no impact on any service for any of the 3 lines now.

Mainly the Diamond was the major reason.

I'd not be surprised to see the GO Airport bus disappear. I did take it once, but there was only one other person on the bus. Seems like a waste of resources. I'd really like to see trains on the Milton line outside of peak though.

I'm hoping for more weekend service on the Waterloo bus route. I don't think they realized how much demand there was and still is, even after the last increase.

^ Agreed with this. More Waterloo service, preferably serving ALL of the Milton line trains, not just two. Also a park-and-ride at the Cambridge stop or better service to the Cambridge stop by GRT.

No 30 minute frequencies on the Lakeshore line? Are they trying to give me heartburn? I guess I shouldn't complain seeing as we get the most service of the entire system but, shit, I hate having to live according to the train schedule!

When I was still in Brampton, I really disliked the midday Bramalea-only trains, partly because they involved a much longer trip than the direct bus to Union that I enjoyed before. The bus would take 35-45 minutes tops from Shoppers World to Union Station and vice versa. The trains required a very inconvenient transfer that added 20 minutes to the trip (transfer walk across the parking lot and padding to make sure the buses would actually meet the train). I preferred the old bus service.

Since there are so many trip delays and cancellations lately on the midday trains, I see this as a reasonable short-term plan until Dufferin Jog (at the least) is done.

I agree, the midday Bramalea-only trains are horrible. I take the bus to Yorkdale whenever possible.

When I was still in Brampton, I really disliked the midday Bramalea-only trains, partly because they involved a much longer trip than the direct bus to Union that I enjoyed before. The bus would take 35-45 minutes tops from Shoppers World to Union Station and vice versa. The trains required a very inconvenient transfer that added 20 minutes to the trip (transfer walk across the parking lot and padding to make sure the buses would actually meet the train). I preferred the old bus service.

Of course the other way to eliminate that 20 minutes caused by the transfer from bus to train would be to extend the train?

Wouldn't it be cool if the April changes only brought service cuts, to go along with the fare hike?

Of course the other way to eliminate that 20 minutes caused by the transfer from bus to train would be to extend the train?

If they extend the train and it's not reliable I suspect we will have more people complaining.

City backs GO stop at Fifty
But Grimsby wants a train station, too, nearly next door

March 02, 2010
Rachel De Lazzer
The Hamilton Spectator
http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/731044

Councillor David Mitchell is spearheading an effort to get a GO train station at Fifty Road to make sure that Grimsby doesn't swipe the opportunity for a station in the area.

Council unanimously approved a motion backing the Fifty Road station, near the QEW, last Wednesday.

Mitchell says he became concerned after hearing from residents who attended a GO public information meeting in Grimsby last month.

He says they were told by consultants for GO that a site on Casablanca Boulevard in Grimsby would likely be preferred to the Fifty Road site, one highway exit away in Winona, and that there wouldn't be a station at both.

"That's the impression that I've got ... and I didn't know until I had my own public meeting (with) some of our residents in Winona that went to that (Grimsby) meeting that there was a major competition going on."

But Grimsby Alderman Wayne Fertich, who also sits on Niagara region's transportation strategy steering committee, says the issue has nothing to do with competition.

It's simply a matter of supporting what is considered to be the best site for a GO train station in that town.

"If we can get one in Grimsby, this is the one we want," he said, noting the Casablanca site has more parking capacity than two other proposed Grimsby sites.

Fertich added that the ministry representatives in no way suggested that a decision had been made or that there was any kind of competition between the Fifty Road and Casablanca sites.

GO Transit announced late last year its plans to expand its rail service to Niagara. It is looking at 14 possible sites, including four in Hamilton.

The transportation agency started an environmental assessment on the locations on Nov. 18 and says it will take a year to complete.

Part of the EA process is polling the public for feedback through meetings, including the recent one in Grimsby.

It will review the feedback from those sessions and present a pared down list of the sites sometime in spring, said spokesperson Vanessa Thomas.

She could not say how many sites would be chosen.

Thomas stressed that no decision about potential sites had been made: "It's important to remember that this is all potential and possible extensions.... At the end of the EA process, the province of Ontario will decide whether we can go forward with this rail expansion to and from the Niagara Region."

Mitchell says the unanimous vote from council should send a strong message to GO.

He said the consultants had told residents they had heard nothing from Hamilton council.

"I'm a little shocked at that because I'd been told that we'd be in the running."

Mitchell says having a GO station at Fifty Road makes sense because of plans to build an $85-million commercial development anchored by a Wal-Mart at the same location. The Wal-Mart plan will be considered at an Ontario Municipal Board hearing in September.

He cites ample development on the north side of the QEW as another good reason for a station at Fifty Road.

Mitchell says having a GO station at Fifty Road makes sense because of plans to build an $85-million commercial development anchored by a Wal-Mart at the same location.

Ah Hamilton councillors produce such gems of wisdom.

I'd not be surprised to see the GO Airport bus disappear. I did take it once, but there was only one other person on the bus. Seems like a waste of resources. I'd really like to see trains on the Milton line outside of peak though.

That must been me!!!...................LOL.

Many times I used the it to or from Sq One to RHC, I was a loner. The most I saw was 7 riders with some going to the airport.

More riders from what I saw used Sq One than RHC. 4 was the highest that left RHC.

It was faster for me to go through Toronto to get to/from RHC as well cheaper using a GTA pass.

There are a number of GO bus routes that are under performing where headway should increase.

If GO/Metrolinx wants to increase ridership, fare by distance needs to change as it too high in many cases.

Back