News   Oct 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 628     0 
News   Oct 01, 2024
 1K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Screenshot_2024-08-25_223815.jpg

Screenshot_2024-08-25_223831.jpg

@Willybru21 any idea what stretch of track is this?

View attachment 591245
They cut out the third track because they needed room to build the Ontario line and widen the corridor to 4 mainline tracks. Not only is there a plan to restore 3-track operations, but the plan includes opening a new 4th track that had never previously existed. Metrolinx has done a lot of stupid things over the years but temporarily reducing LSE to 2 tracks during construction is not one of them.

Last edited:
They cut out the third track because they needed room to build the Ontario line and widen the corridor to 4 mainline tracks. Not only is there a plan to restore 3-track operations, but the whole point of the closure is to add a new 4th track that had never previously existed. Metrolinx has done a lot of stupid things over the years but temporarily reducing LSE to 2 tracks during construction is not one of them.
Couldn’t have said it better, in the end we all gain from the work being done on the Lakeshore East Line right now, people that complain like the one in the screenshot above clearly don’t understand what work is happening and why it needed to happen. Which is a bit ironic because their name is The Railfan…

They cut out the third track because they needed room to build the Ontario line and widen the corridor to 4 mainline tracks. Not only is there a plan to restore 3-track operations, but the whole point of the closure is to add a new 4th track that had never previously existed. Metrolinx has done a lot of stupid things over the years but temporarily reducing LSE to 2 tracks during construction is not one of them.
Now to be fair, MX is very far behind on the project, like the express service wont be back until 2026 at the earliest, 5 years after the express service was removed

They cut out the third track because they needed room to build the Ontario line and widen the corridor to 4 mainline tracks. Not only is there a plan to restore 3-track operations, but the whole point of the closure is to add a new 4th track that had never previously existed.

No problem agreeing with this part, as its 100% factual!

Metrolinx has done a lot of stupid things over the years but temporarily reducing LSE to 2 tracks during construction is not one of them.

On this part, I will partially disagree; I maintain that the O/L should have been buried in this section, which would have avoided the need to eliminate Lakeshore East Express services and 15 minute weekday service for more than 4 years.

Additionally, I remain concerned by the non-OL portion of the corridor being limited to 4 tracks, this means VIA will not have an exclusive track, which in light of projected GO service levels by the 2030s will likely represent capacity constraints.

The cost to bury the O/L through Leslieville was only 800M according to Mx, or less than 200M per year of hassle eliminated.

No problem agreeing with this part, as its 100% factual!

On this part, I will partially disagree; I maintain that the O/L should have been buried in this section, which would have avoided the need to eliminate Lakeshore East Express services and 15 minute weekday service for more than 4 years.

Additionally, I remain concerned by the non-OL portion of the corridor being limited to 4 tracks, this means VIA will not have an exclusive track, which in light of projected GO service levels by the 2030s will likely represent capacity constraints.

The cost to bury the O/L through Leslieville was only 800M according to Mx, or less than 200M per year of hassle eliminated.
The way that Metrolinx prioritized its own trains over VIA, yeah I'd be concerned too. Last time I got back from Montreal the train just crawled behind GO trains.

Edit to Add: The ironic thing is that I had a GO bus connection to catch, so it was nerve-wracking wondering if I would miss my GO bus because GO was delaying my VIA train. They should realize that some of the people they're delaying have GO connections they want to catch.

Back