News   Apr 24, 2024
 337     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 396     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 750     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

50 MB with a registered Presto card ... and who wouldn't have one of those?

I seldom eat through more than 50 MB of data during a transit trip, according to the Rogers bills I see. Should be able to just about anything except stream video.

Lots of people haven't registered their Presto. The card is pretty ubiquitous at this point, especially on GO; but its a long way to go for 100% registration; here's an incentive trying to change that.

Last edited:
50 MB with a registered Presto card ... and who wouldn't have one of those?

I seldom eat through more than 50 MB of data during a transit trip, according to the Rogers bills I see. Should be able to just about anything except stream video.
Instagram is a data hog.

For those thinking that this work from home would be permanent. It's already reversing.

Just as with any other major event, things in our day to day are mostly going to change on the margin after COVID is done. Those office towers will be full again in a couple years. The Ontario government already asked all their office workers to return to work.

GO will hit their usual ridership numbers probably by the end of next year barring anything else unusual jumping out of the woodwork.
those are ceos whining. companies will have to decide if these high rents and commuter credits are worth it.

For those thinking that this work from home would be permanent. It's already reversing.

Just as with any other major event, things in our day to day are mostly going to change on the margin after COVID is done. Those office towers will be full again in a couple years. The Ontario government already asked all their office workers to return to work.

GO will hit their usual ridership numbers probably by the end of next year barring anything else unusual jumping out of the woodwork.
I don't agree.

I work for a very large employer and we were told we are not going back to the office earlier than Jan 31, 2021. While no official policy has been announced, the comments from the head of HR were that we would eventually move to a hybrid model (in the office once in a while, probably no permanent work stations) and that there was no interest in paying for expensive real estate if employees were looking for a hybrid model. The pandemic proved we can operate remotely. Whatever disadvantages there were are outweighed by the advantages including the cost of not leasing vast amounts of expensive office space.

Many offices are currently restricting the number of people on elevators and other safety precautions. It is simply irresponsible to send 100% of the workforce back when remote working is an option.

I don't agree.

I work for a very large employer and we were told we are not going back to the office earlier than Jan 31, 2021. While no official policy has been announced, the comments from the head of HR were that we would eventually move to a hybrid model (in the office once in a while, probably no permanent work stations) and that there was no interest in paying for expensive real estate if employees were looking for a hybrid model. The pandemic proved we can operate remotely. Whatever disadvantages there were are outweighed by the advantages including the cost of not leasing vast amounts of expensive office space.

Many offices are currently restricting the number of people on elevators and other safety precautions. It is simply irresponsible to send 100% of the workforce back when remote working is an option.

While I agree with much of what you stated, there are plenty of the insecure micro-manager types who feel it's more important that they see you in the office even though it results in lower productivity. Remember that IBM and Yahoo both ended their remote work programs based on the whims of the CEO.

My point was more to contrast the medias constant "this will change things forever' message as when after 9/11, the media said no one would be living or working in NYC.. After COVID, the types of employers that wanted you in the office before will want you in the office again (even though your job could be done better remotely). I believe the change will be only a little more than marginal for any company that wasn't already moving in that direction.

While I agree with much of what you stated, there are plenty of the insecure micro-manager types who feel it's more important that they see you in the office even though it results in lower productivity. Remember that IBM and Yahoo both ended their remote work programs based on the whims of the CEO.

My point was more to contrast the medias constant "this will change things forever' message as when after 9/11, the media said no one would be living or working in NYC.. After COVID, the types of employers that wanted you in the office before will want you in the office again (even though your job could be done better remotely). I believe the change will be only a little more than marginal for any company that wasn't already moving in that direction.

I tend to agree but I don't think it is just micro-managers (although they are out there). Depending on the job, there can be many aspects of employee performance, productivity, whatever, that can't simply be evaluated by remote data metrics.

I tend to agree but I don't think it is just micro-managers (although they are out there). Depending on the job, there can be many aspects of employee performance, productivity, whatever, that can't simply be evaluated by remote data metrics.

It's not even just the job, it's also the employees as well.

In my organization, at least a couple of us have found that we are less productive at home than we are at the office.

And then there can be the issue of shared research or resources. At my company, much of that is not electronic or remote-able.

Dan

I don't agree.

My experience is very similar. One thing my employer is talking about and I share the concern is how you maintain cohesive corporate culture and build interpersonal connections in a world where you rarely see people you work with. Humans are still apes and it still matters that people meet you and know you're a real person and not just a name on an email or a voice in a box.

^To be frank, most of the talk about corporate culture is a bill of goods. In my experience, corporate culture is at best irrelevant fluff; at worst - outright toxicity. I'm hoping to see as much work from home as possible going forward.

Back