News   Mar 28, 2024
 80     0 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   Mar 27, 2024
 1.1K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

What's the significance of this/can you expand?
Look at the schedules above. Each train and bus run has a trip number. They used to be 3 digits for the trains. Now they are 4 digits.

I don't know if it's of particular significance - presumably just convenience for managing it. VIA uses a mix of 2 digits and 3 digits.

Look at the schedules above. Each train and bus run has a trip number. They used to be 3 digits for the trains. Now they are 4 digits.

I don't know if it's of particular significance - presumably just convenience for managing it. VIA uses a mix of 2 digits and 3 digits.

1 digit as well: The Canadian is 1 and 2.

That's exactly it. Originally they were able to keep things nice and tidy, with each corridor having its own set of numbers. As they've added more and more trains, the numbering system became a bit looser, and with more and more overlap. The 15 minute service on the Lakeshore Lines was the last straw, and required a whole new set of numbers.

By going to 4-digit IDs, they can keep things nice and tidy again, and each corridor has its own set of unique IDs. And there's the added benefit of not having to worry about any duplication with any of CN's or CP's existing train IDs, as they use 3-digit ones.

It's not, actually. The Canadians are identified as 001 and 002 in CN's systems.

Dan

[/QUOTE]
Well, P001 and P002 actually, so they are four digit already. But I'm being very picky ;
Well, if you want to be picky, the CP/CN computer systems would only have binary representations - everything else is just an interpretation of that.

Must run, I've got to catch the 111111010 in a few minutes!

The Victoria Day and summer (June 22 to Labour Day) weekend Niagara Falls trains are back - and they still appear to skip Hamilton West Harbour.

In a way I'm not surprised. When the Niagara Trains leave Union in the morning they are usually quite full. It would make sense to avoid stopping at Hamilton rather than cram people into crowded trains. If the trains did stop there whoever got on would likely not have a seat.

It would have made more sense to have a train run from Oakville to Niagara stopping at West Harbour. That's if they wanted to stop there.

In a way I'm not surprised. When the Niagara Trains leave Union in the morning they are usually quite full. It would make sense to avoid stopping at Hamilton rather than cram people into crowded trains. If the trains did stop there whoever got on would likely not have a seat.
From a station like West Harbour that has about - what was it - 40 riders a day?

Hm, looks like they've backed out of the new Oshawa express trips, no mention in the announcement and they've disappeared from the schedule as well. Odd considering the changes to train lengths imply they're still using an additional train in the morning.

When reaperexpress first posted the schedule PDFs, the Lakeshore East one showed new expresses at 7:50 from Oshawa and 16:50 from Union, which aren't there anymore.

When reaperexpress first posted the schedule PDFs, the Lakeshore East one showed new expresses at 7:50 from Oshawa and 16:50 from Union, which aren't there anymore.
Odd, I'm still seeing those new trains listed at the schedule at https://www.gotransit.com/static_fi...ipPlanning/FullSchedules/06042019/Table09.pdf

Edit - oh that's interesting. I went to my phone and downloaded that link, and it still works, but it doesn't show those runs - so I'm seeing a cached version on my desktop. Both have the same date on the timetable, but the internal PDF date has changed from March 18 to March 22.

Still no Table 01 that I can see. Though the combined Table 10 (without those two Pickering expresses).

Last edited:
And finally, this is the first change-of-card since the adoption of 4-digit train IDs 3 or so weeks ago.

That's exactly it. Originally they were able to keep things nice and tidy, with each corridor having its own set of numbers. As they've added more and more trains, the numbering system became a bit looser, and with more and more overlap. The 15 minute service on the Lakeshore Lines was the last straw, and required a whole new set of numbers.

By going to 4-digit IDs, they can keep things nice and tidy again, and each corridor has its own set of unique IDs. And there's the added benefit of not having to worry about any duplication with any of CN's or CP's existing train IDs, as they use 3-digit ones.

It's not, actually. The Canadians are identified as 001 and 002 in CN's systems.
Well, P001 and P002 actually, so they are four digit already. But I'm being very picky ;-)
Well, if you want to be picky, the CP/CN computer systems would only have binary representations - everything else is just an interpretation of that.Must run, I've got to catch the 111111010 in a few minutes
giphy.gif

There's currently a six-car train that arrives at Union from Gormley at 7:11, sits out most of the peak period in a yard, and then does the 8:55 trip to Mount Pleasant. I'm guessing they'll have this one do the 8:27 Bramalea trip and then go out of service until the evening, and then the train currently on the Malton trip would do the new 7:55 and turn back as the 8:55.

View attachment 178535View attachment 178536
The 8:33 train is now confirmed to be a 10 car train. While the 7:55 is a 6 car.

Back