News   Apr 25, 2024
 381     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     4 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

The mayor has things a bit jumbled. Many of the complaints were about direct bus service (express to Markham GO) being replaced with a train and bus connection that almost doubled travel times and severely reduced frequencies. Of course we'd rather have trains, but for anyone north of Unionville GO (i.e., most of Markham) the old bus routes were better that the train/bus combo. Running trains to Mount Joy should have happened in the first place, but at least it's there now.
Until 3pm!

Is there any means to see which stations have a gap of 10km or less between them without checking all the fares manually, once that change is in the system?

I'm curious as to which trips will now be cheaper.

I assume Danforth - Union would be; but would Scarborough-Union be? etc. (to answer my own question using google, the answer is no, the distance would be in the range of 13.5km)

Of note, the Wynne version of this was similar but also stated any trip beginning and ending within the City of Toronto would be $3

I would like to see that promise brought back, even at $3.70

It would just make the price of many trips intuitive.

Last edited:
Is there any means to see which stations have a gap of 10km or less between them without checking all the fares manually, once that change is in the system?

I'm curious as to which trips will now be cheaper.

I assume Danforth - Union would be; but would Scarborough-Union be? etc.

Of note, the Wynne version of this was similar but also stated any trip beginning and ending within the City of Toronto would be $3

I would like to see that promise brought back, even at $3.70

It would just make the price of many trips intuitive.
The minimum fare currently is $4.71. So, any trip under 10km will be cheaper.

^ GO under 10km goes down. Apparently it goes up for longer distances.
Only about 4% - which is how much it goes up most years. Sadly the media will make it look like the longer trips are going up to make the shorter trips go down. But in reality, it's just their usual annual increase.

You'd think with all the PR people they keep hiring, that message would get better, not worse!

I can used google measurements to draw a line between stations, but that seems rather cumbersome.

Is there a table or map showing distances between stations somewhere?

I can used google measurements to draw a line between stations, but that seems rather cumbersome.

Is there a table or map showing distances between stations somewhere?
I'm sure there are pages for other GO lines, but this one is for the Barrie line:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrie_line

Distances from Union are displayed next to each station on the route map.

Wow, this won't change much. Even Danforth to Exhbition over 10 km. So from Union, the only existing stations that are less than 10 km, are Danforth, Bloor, and Exhibition. And Mimico if it's as the crow flies, and you don't include the total platform lengths :).

Even Kipling and Kennedy are more than 10 km!

I'm sure there are pages for other GO lines, but this one is for the Barrie line:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrie_line

Distances from Union are displayed next to each station on the route map.

Great resource, didn't know about that!

Thank you.

So Mimico to Union does not qualify, Weston to Union does not qualify, Kennedy to Union does not qualify, Scarborough to Union does not qualify..... LOL

The only to Union trips that do qualify are Bloor, Exhibition and Danforth

Wow, this won't change much. Even Danforth to Exhbition over 10 km. So from Union, the only existing stations that are less than 10 km, are Danforth, Bloor, and Exhibition. And Mimico if it's as the crow flies, and you don't include the total platform lengths :).

Even Kipling and Kennedy are more than 10 km!

Danforth does qualify, 8.4km

Great resource, didn't know about that!

Thank you.

So Mimico to Union does not qualify, Weston to Union does not qualify, Kennedy to Union does not qualify, Scarborough to Union does not qualify..... LOL

The only to Union trips that do qualify are Bloor, Exhibition and Danforth
Rutherford-Maple, Rutherford-Downsview Park, Maple-King City, etc.
There are many pairs of stations within 10km of each other

Back