News   Apr 19, 2024
 187     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 490     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 843     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

theyre installing glitter and strobe lights on the trains!
Personally, I am VERY interested in seeing Metrolinx add a Hamilton West Harbour GO stop (I've written a large article on this) to the Niagara GO train route.

Sleuthing doesn't reveal much, alas.

List of documents found ($40.00 to download)

upload_2017-1-24_17-7-26.png

List of vendors who has downloaded this document (so far):

upload_2017-1-24_17-7-45.png

As the lead of Hamilton LRT Citizen Advocacy, I might get our team to purchase this document ($40) as we are extremely interested in referring local Hamiltonians/businesses to participate in this (as it is not within our purview, but as a related transit interest -- we know several businesses and I am sure Hamilton would very much like to increase ridership at West Harbour GO...)

West Harbour GO station is still severely underused, but the Niagara GO trains are an amazing opportunity to increase the usage of West Harbour GO station -- if a single problem can just possibly be solved before the 150th anniversary of Canada...

It is quite important that the ~100 meter track switch gets installed as soon as possible, to enable through service for Niagara GO trains. Currently, Niagara GO trains passes tantalizingly within centimeters of the Hamilton West Harbour GO station, without stopping -- as seen in this video below:

It would help popularize ridership at the West Harbour GO station - if this low-lying apple 100 meter track switch infrastructure is completed as soon as possible (by Canada Day 2017, I'd sure hope).

The GO-Nigara promoting opportunity is an excellent opportunity for Hamilton to raise awareness of the West Harbour GO station -- if the Niagara trains stop at this station -- as this is 2-way service (Hamilton-Niagara, and Hamilton-Toronto). And it works in reverse, in bringing peopleto Hamilton too (Toronto-Hamilton and Niagara-Hamilton). If this can happen, then I know some other local Hamilton businesses that might be interested in bidding for this.

If this can happen, then this MERX RFI document technically should be labelled "Raising Awareness Of The Toronto-Hamilton-Niagara GO Experience"

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-24_17-7-26.png
    upload_2017-1-24_17-7-26.png
    10.3 KB · Views: 231
  • upload_2017-1-24_17-7-45.png
    upload_2017-1-24_17-7-45.png
    29.6 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Saw a couple of interesting tweets from the GO Barrie Line twitter account https://twitter.com/GOtransitBR

"Thank you Barrie Line Passengers. Your valuable feedback allowed us to make the necessary tweaks to our new automated announcement system to ensure a successful launch on our #GOtrain system wide."

Passenger response was not very positive. "if you're going to do this at least make it less alien like. The one at Aurora is brutal", and "I can't believe this is being rolled out. It was torture having to listen to the automated voice".

I'm aware of the digital signage+automated announcements project but this sounds like GO recently piloted it on the Barrie line, which I hadn't heard of. Anyone have additional info? Would love to hear a recording/see video of signs.

Saw a couple of interesting tweets from the GO Barrie Line twitter account https://twitter.com/GOtransitBR

"Thank you Barrie Line Passengers. Your valuable feedback allowed us to make the necessary tweaks to our new automated announcement system to ensure a successful launch on our #GOtrain system wide."

I wish the TTC would do the same and tweak their subway train announcements.

Man, that's a shame. CSA announcements are something that makes the GO what it is, IMO.

Man, that's a shame. CSA announcements are something that makes the GO what it is, IMO.
It would be nice to have good recordings for the announcements, so good fidelity, that it sounds like the real CSA announcing. With the only giveaway being automatic timing & sounding the same everytime it passed the same station.

It would be nice to have good recordings for the announcements, so good fidelity, that it sounds like the real CSA announcing. With the only giveaway being automatic timing & sounding the same everytime it passed the same station.

Kind of like the T1's on the TTC. But the thing with this is, you would need that same person over the long term to do new unique messages. If anyone remembers being on Line 2 during Pan-Am, there were messages by a male voice giving directions to downtown. The upbeat enthusiastic voice that does platform announcements (does Brad Ross do them?) sounded jilted following the smooth calm voice of Susan Bigioni.

So, here's a choice:
  1. Keep yourself open to jilted announcements by different human voices.
  2. Robot voices everwhere all the time.
  3. Drawing up a long-term (10+ years?) contract with someone with a great voice to record all station and customer notice announcements.
Option 3 doesn't necessarily have to be a transit employee either. Maybe a celebrity that can do it on the side?

Back