News   Apr 15, 2024
 872     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 639     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

^ I also wonder if it helps their benefit cost ratio because they can utilize a station they just renovated as opposed to the cost of a new station on Thornton?

Just by the virtue of having one fewer station to maintain I would think it would help. The Oshawa and Thornton stations would likely be the two closest together stations on the system, even though they wouldn't be on the same line.

Looking at the area, that looks like either expropriating land or a very tight corner.

Looking at Google maps it seems to be about a 215 meter radius corner with expropriation of Roadrunners Equipment. That's not nearly as sharp as the UP Express spur, but worse than the Canpa Sub Lakeshore West detour which was pretty slow when I rode it.

Last edited:
^ Interesting calculation. How much worse than Canpa is it? Is that the tightest curve on the tracks GO uses/sometimes uses? How does it compare to the Richmond Hill Line curve that meets the Union Station Rail Corridor?

^Those Canpa Sub trips were constrained by other factors, so I wouldn't compare. The dimensional comparison to the curve at the Don is more apt, and it's a very similar distance, from my inexpert Google measurement. The curve up where the line joins the CP looks like the tightest of all. (But may be easier to ease)

- Paul

"This is how every service started," said Diodati.

"None of them started out with a lineup at the door of the train. But when you look now and you see what's happening in Burlington, in Oakville … and you see all the infrastructure, the condos, all the development that's taking place … you realize that we're right on track with the way it's supposed to be."

LOL

Looking at Google maps it seems to be about a 215 meter radius corner with expropriation of Roadrunners Equipment. That's not nearly as sharp as the UP Express spur, but worse than the Canpa Sub Lakeshore West detour which was pretty slow when I rode it.

Regardless, its important to remember that Oshawa GO station is right next by to that turn.

So the trains will already be slowing down/just starting to move from that station anyways.

Well, since it says "(including extensions)" as part of this thread...

I honestly think that GO transit needs to create regional systems across the province to connect the various parts of the province. Something like a NW Ontario GO transit to connect Thunder Bay, Kenora, Lake Superior, Nippising along with a NE division to connect Ottawa, Kingston and Brockville and a SW division to connect Toronto with London, Waterloo, Guelph, Windsor.

Even a Northern Division would be nice to connect Toronto with Huntsville, Muskoka, Napanee, Etc.

I think it makes sense for GO to extend to Port Hope and Cobourg. Beyond that is probably too far.

GO stands for... Government of Ontario.
So, GO transit is literally Government of Ontario Transit. That means that it does not serve only Toronto's needs.

One day, I would like to see ONTC rolled into GO. Then passenger service might get the respect from the province it deserves. And, then GO has a refurbishment shop.

^By that logic, the White River RDC would be a provincially run train. With its own overheads such as supervision and ticketing? Presto Card, anyone?

There's a lot of economy in letting VIA run things outside the GTA. While we may feel that Ottawa is shirking its mandate, nothing good will come of creating a provincial bureaucracy to duplicate what is established federally.

If VIA does proceed with HFR, we may see the Province become more demanding for some sort of 403b type arrangement. But once a train runs express for more than 40 or so miles from downtown Toronto, it should be VIA's operation, perhaps under contract to Ontario.

- Paul

Back