News   Jul 16, 2024
 78     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 259     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

I have to know. Are they ever going to run GO Trains to Hamilton? I always have to transfer onto a GO bus ar Aldershot which I find silly since the GO station in Hamilton has tracks and they run the trains at rush hour.

Why not just run them as if they were part of the schedule?

I have to know. Are they ever going to run GO Trains to Hamilton? I always have to transfer onto a GO bus ar Aldershot which I find silly since the GO station in Hamilton has tracks and they run the trains at rush hour.

Why not just run them as if they were part of the schedule?

The problem is that CN and CP own the both of the lines which lead into Hamilton, not GO. As it is, there is no agreement between the GO and either CN or CP to run GO trains into Hamilton all day. CP is notorious restrictive on GO in terms of allowing them to increase train service on any of their lines, never mind the busy single track, predominately OCS(none signaled track which reduces capacity) Hamilton sub. And truth be told they have far less trackage within the GTA than CN does and so they can only allocate a minimal amount of track time for GO trains without them interfering with their freight service.

Once an agreement is in place many track upgrades will likely need to be built, no doubt all of which will be paid for by GO (CP line/Hamilton subdivision – reconstruct and double track the Hunter st. tunnel, CN line Oakville subdivision – upgrade 4 miles of a service track into a mainline track). Also if the CN line is used a station will also need to be constructed as there currently isn’t one.

From the K-W Record today:
Local GO bus service could see 800-1,200 riders per day

October 30, 2009
Record staff

KITCHENER — The start of GO Transit bus service Saturday between Waterloo Region and the Greater Toronto area was officially kicked off Friday.

Ontario Transportation Minister Jim Bradley told local politicians gathered Friday at the Charles Street bus terminal in downtown Kitchener that between 800 and 1,200 riders are expected to use this expanded service daily.

Buses are scheduled to run between a number of Waterloo Region stops and Milton and Mississauga.

The schedule calls for 11 eastbound buses and 12 westbound on weekdays, to and from Mississauga’s Square One shopping centre. In addition, two daily peak-time trips in each direction will stop at the Milton GO station. From there, riders can connect with GO trains heading to Union Station in downtown Toronto.

Fares to Mississauga Square One are $12.30 per adult each way. Day pass is $24.60. Fares to Union Station are $14.35 per adult each way. Fares for people 65 and older and children up to 12 are half price.

"New GO stations coming on Richmond Hill line"

Richmond Hill
November 01, 2009 09:00 AM

BY SANDRA BOLAN
Two new GO train stations will be constructed along the Richmond Hill line just west of Whitchurch-Stouffville.

One station will be on Stouffville Road between Leslie Street and Hwy. 404. The other will be at Bloomington Road between the CN rail corridor and Hwy. 404.

see
http://www.theliberal.com/News/Richmond Hill/article/98758

Richmond Hill
November 01, 2009 09:00 AM

BY SANDRA BOLAN
Two new GO train stations will be constructed along the Richmond Hill line just west of Whitchurch-Stouffville.

One station will be on Stouffville Road between Leslie Street and Hwy. 404. The other will be at Bloomington Road between the CN rail corridor and Hwy. 404.

see
http://www.theliberal.com/News/Richmond Hill/article/98758

Based on a quick look at Google Maps, both stations would be in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by brush, golf courses and farms. Two more GO stations with massive parking lots and no transit access.

Based on a quick look at Google Maps, both stations would be in the middle of nowhere, surrounded by brush, golf courses and farms. Two more GO stations with massive parking lots and no transit access.

Where should they be instead? North of 19th the line heads northeast into the countryside, the next town is 30 KM away (Mt. Albert).

edit: I guess Vandorf, population 722 is 15 KM away

Last edited:
I assume they've done studies that show that there are a certain number of people already commuting to the Richmond Hill station from north of these new stations, so adding them will free up capacity at Richmond Hill... not sure about that though.
I think the major reason for this extension is to build the layover site, as they currently store the trains at Willowbrook AFAIK.

The real market for these new GO stations is places like southern/eastern Aurora and Oak Ridges. A station at Bathurst on the Barrie line would have been an alternative.

Who says there'll be no transit access? There could easily be feeder busses to pick up the more rural commuters and take them to the Go station. Depending on how they do it, Bloor Station on the Georgetown line could have less "transit access."

GO buses underway

November 02, 2009
By Jeff Outhit, Record staff

WATERLOO REGION — Maureen Dooley took a bus Sunday to see her daughter in Mississauga and was pretty happy about it.

She was among the first passengers on the new GO Transit bus service that launched Saturday.

“It’s great. It’s about time,†Dooley said. “We really need it.â€

Dooley and her husband Brian paid just under $25 for two return tickets to Mississauga, at the senior discount rate. The noon-hour bus took them from the Kitchener bus terminal on Charles Street to the Square One mall.

“We’ll be using it probably every other week,†she said. “We’re thrilled.â€

There were 38 people heading to Mississauga on her bus Sunday. It was slightly more than half full, after collecting some passengers in Waterloo.

Driver Alexis Gene said there were about 25 people per bus on Saturday, fewer on Sunday morning.

Commuter service kicks off Monday. The provincial transit service expects its buses will eventually carry 800 to 1,200 passengers a day between this region and Mississauga.

GO buses stop at two Waterloo universities and in Cambridge at Hespeler Road and Highway 401. Other park-and-ride sites are planned.

The buses do not go directly to Toronto.

On weekday mornings, two buses take passengers to the Milton GO station, where trains leave for Union Station. Kitchener to Union Station takes up to two hours, 12 minutes.

Most GO buses end at the Square One transit terminal. This trip takes up to one hour, 22 minutes.

Buses are pitched as a precursor to GO trains, which are under consideration for this region.

Bruce Norgren is happy to see GO service arrive and would be thrilled to see trains extended here. He drives to the Milton GO station, on his daily commute from Waterloo to downtown Toronto.

But he does not plan to ride the GO buses to Milton.

That’s because there’s no parking where passengers are collected, and because his current commute would get even longer, perhaps by an hour or more per day.

“For the five-day-a-week working commuter, this schedule just does not work. It adds extra time,†Norgren said. He sees GO buses as catering to students and casual travellers.

Sunday bus passengers Graham Goulet and Ana Perunicic said they too would prefer trains over buses.

“It may be faster,†said Perunicic. She was taking the GO bus to visit a library in Mississauga.

jouthit@therecord.com

A friend told me they're starting GO train service to Guelph in January. Can anyone confirm this? I thought it was going to be a while until that happened.

Back