News   May 01, 2024
 1.5K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 377     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 369     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

those are some killer commute times. the 5:19am departure from Niagara will arrive at Union at 7:50am.. that is a 2.5 hour travel time.
I'm cynical on this, perhaps irrationally so. This drips of PR in the absence of substance. I'll revisit my senses on this when it's *successfully* up and running.
"No funding for that"...the link remains open, so won't embed, and it's difficult to actually parse his statements because of it. My cynicism grows...

Last edited:
That stop at West Harbour will require a backup move into the depot. That will consume some time. I imagine the schedule has been padded to reflect Seaway issues also.

I'm puzzled whether the Confederation Station work is stalled, or proceeding....especially the supposed track to West Harbour. And...no stop at Grimsby at all ????

- Paul

PS: 1967 standard train times: NF- SC 19 mins, vs 22 today SC - WH 43 mins+3mins dwell, vs 50 today; end to end 2:05 vs 2:32

That stop at West Harbour will require a backup move into the depot. That will consume some time. I imagine the schedule has been padded to reflect Seaway issues also.

I'm puzzled whether the Confederation Station work is stalled, or proceeding....especially the supposed track to West Harbour. And...no stop at Grimsby at all ????

- Paul

PS: 1967 standard train times: NF- SC 19 mins, vs 22 today SC - WH 43 mins+3mins dwell, vs 50 today; end to end 2:05 vs 2:32

Really? That's awful. I figured that by now there would be a through track.

- Paul

Really? That's awful. I figured that by now there would be a through track.

Confederation GO is under construction and proceeding as initially planned. Grimsby is now going through the ToD process the PCs have laid out.

And yes, it is confirmed that GO Trains will have to drive past West Harbour, then back into the station, at least temporarily. How hard is connecting the tail tracks to the mainline? Shouldn't be more than a few days work MAX.

As one from Kitchener who goes downtown fairly regularly, I wouldn't be surprised if people still drive to Burlington rather than take the train from Niagara.

2+ hours on a GO train is not very fun. I generally drive to Aldershot instead of going direct from Kitchener.

As one from Kitchener who goes downtown fairly regularly, I wouldn't be surprised if people still drive to Burlington rather than take the train from Niagara.

2+ hours on a GO train is not very fun. I generally drive to Aldershot instead of going direct from Kitchener.

Really, GO should implement local/express service on the Kitchener Line, and run all trains to Kitchener express between Union and Bramalea, and run locals to Bramalea and/or Mount Pleasant. Though that probably won't happen until the Bramalea Station work is finally complete, and GO may want that fourth track in the Weston Sub first. GO also needs to fix Georgetown Station so its through trains don't have to crawl in and out of the yard there - it takes less time for VIA to make its way through.

I'd rather see a higher speed regional rail service (not necessary Glen Murray's HSR fantasy) that can make the trip in 90 minutes, using a fleet suited for medium distance travel, including wifi and comfortable seating.

And yes, it is confirmed that GO Trains will have to drive past West Harbour, then back into the station, at least temporarily. How hard is connecting the tail tracks to the mainline? Shouldn't be more than a few days work MAX.

Connecting the track is easy, provided you have the work blocks set up to allow it. (Considering how short the lead-time is between this announcement and the start of the projected service, and that there are 3 major holidays between now and then, I suspect that there are no work blocks scheduled for any work there.)

The hard part is installing all-new signalling to allow it to happen. Especially since there was no plan to have the track through the station to connect back to the mainline there.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Was digging through Ontario's new Climate Change "plan" and found some clues as to the PC's plan on transit/future GO service increases/RER/GO Expansion/Rapid Rail. It is esentially the same as their election pledge: continue with "existing plan" and spend $5 billion more on subways and relief lines. So esentially, nothing has changed from the election period yet, minus getting the private sector more involved in station building.

EnvironmentPlan Transit.jpg

Apparently there might be an announcement by the Province at 12:30PM Monday at the Kitchener Station. Not sure what it'll be about but might be similar to what they just did for Niagara where one of the Georgetown or Mount Pleasant trains will be extended.

I'm not seeing any media advisory online yet and it could change given the legislature might come back to deal with the OPG strike issue.

Apparently there will be an announcement at 12:30PM Monday at the Kitchener Station. Not sure what it'll be about but might be similar to what they just did for Niagara where one of the Georgetown or Mount Pleasant trains will be extended.
Obvious difference being that 4 a day each way already are ;)

Maybe it will be the ultimate Ford shot at Brown......an announcement that for the next 4 years (at least) all GO trains on the KW line will bypass all stations within the boundaries of the City of Brampton. "Take that Patty!"

They really need to rethink that to get times down to a more reasonable level.
Indeed. This 151 minute train leaving at 5:19 AM arriving at 7:50 AM is actually slower to Union from Niagara Falls, then the current GO Bus that connects to the SAME TRAIN at Burlington GO.

And a 20 minutes longer than steam trains used to take in 1950 (departing NF at 5:45 AM arriving Union at 7:55 AM compared to this 5:19 AM train arriving Union at 7:50 AM). And the steam train had more stops (ten) compared to only nine with this service!

Until 2012, the VIA train used to do it in 124 minutes, leaving Niagara Falls at 6:21 AM arriving Union at 8:25 AM (stopping only at St. Catharines, Grimsby, Aldershot and Oakville). Back in the 1980s, VIA used to do it in only 115 minutes leaving Niagara Falls at 6:40 AM arriving Union at 8:35 AM.

I know traffic can be a killer ... but gosh, if you left Niagara falls at around 5 AM, you shouldn't be arriving Union at around 6:30 AM if you are driving! Hmm, Google Maps says 70 to 110 minutes if you leave at 5 AM, and 80 to 130 minutes if you leave at 5:20 AM! Gosh, and 110 to 190 minutes if you leave at 7 AM!

No wonder that old VIA train was popular! I don't see a 5:19 AM train from St. Catharines being very popular, especially not returning until 7:47 PM. That's a 14.5 hour day, if you live by the station! Compare to 13.3 hours in 2012 using VIA, or just less than 13 hours in the 1980s with more time downtown!

Last edited:
those are some killer commute times. the 5:19am departure from Niagara will arrive at Union at 7:50am.. that is a 2.5 hour travel time.

I feel like a sizable chunk of commuters are either heading to St Catherines, or Hamilton, Burlington, or Oakville, similar to Kitchener Line Commuters originating at Kitchener GO. Speaking of which...
Really, GO should implement local/express service on the Kitchener Line, and run all trains to Kitchener express between Union and Bramalea, and run locals to Bramalea and/or Mount Pleasant. Though that probably won't happen until the Bramalea Station work is finally complete, and GO may want that fourth track in the Weston Sub first. GO also needs to fix Georgetown Station so its through trains don't have to crawl in and out of the yard there - it takes less time for VIA to make its way through.

I'd rather see a higher speed regional rail service (not necessary Glen Murray's HSR fantasy) that can make the trip in 90 minutes, using a fleet suited for medium distance travel, including wifi and comfortable seating.
While I see a huge value in running express trains on the Kitchener line, not all trains should be express because there are still people who need to get off at Weston (Airport), Bloor (people work near there), etc. When 2WAD is running (8 trains morning peak), I actually would suggest running 1-2 trains local to Georgetown, and then express stopping at Brampton, Weston/Pearson Airport, and Union instead of stopping at the Brampton stations, or even one train that just runs express from Georgetown to Union (Assuming there are passing tracks)

Warning: long rambling. Skip to the end if you don't want to read not important stuff
Kitchener line services could theoretically could see trip times decrease to an hour with electrification (at least part way), express services, and track modifications Express services. The current express service takes something like 1 hr and 48 minutes, and it would be 1hr and 40 minutes if not for unnecessary wait times at a few stations (Obviously they're there for operational purposes, but still). Replacing the Schantz Station bridge can decrease that trip time by 5 minutes (currently, the train has to slow down to like 10 mph when crossing that thing), improvements through Guelph can shave off up to 10 minutes (and these are underway), removing the unnecessary wait times at Georgetown would save another five, and just like that, without any drastic improvements, we're already at 1hr and 28 minutes. With electrification through Brampton, another 20% of the 45 minutes traveling through there can be shaved off (9 minutes), track improvements between Kitchener and Guelph can shave off another 5 minutes, and running express services further (no stop to Georgetown with the exception of Brampton) would save another 15 minutes. This leaves us at around 59 minutes of travel time. Of course these estimations aren't scientific, and the actual ridership of the trains can be put into question, but 59 minutes for a train from Kitchener to Toronto is extremely competitive, especially when compared to driving. I wouldn't be surprised if Kitchener saw ridership increase by 1000 passengers per day (particularly at the future Breslau station) and Guelph by 500, and to use this one train alone. Given existing numbers (Kitchener express trains usually see between 200-400 passengers, with an additional 200 passengers getting on in Guelph and 50 in Acton), this one train could see in excess of 2000 passengers not including those getting on in Brampton. Given that Brampton users would be enticed by nonstop service, I can safely see this working with full trains.

And all these improvements can occur without the need for 110-125mph class 6+ track.

Apparently there might be an announcement by the Province at 12:30PM Monday at the Kitchener Station. Not sure what it'll be about but might be similar to what they just did for Niagara where one of the Georgetown or Mount Pleasant trains will be extended.

I'm not seeing any media advisory online yet and it could change given the legislature might come back to deal with the OPG strike issue.

Might need to change now:

Back