News   Apr 26, 2024
 973     3 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 266     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 783     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

A few months ago, I was one of 3 people on a GO bus from Bramalea to Kitchener mid-Afternoon.
You must be talking the 30 bus. I've used it twice recently for cycling expeditions to attain the Kissing Bridge Trail. (which then connects me to the Elora-Cataract Trail, connecting me to the Caledon Trailway) An unfortunate feature of the bus being express from Bramalea to Kitchener (other than a few local stops in Kitchener) is that it doesn't make valuable connections along the way. Aberfoyle is an obvious one, and I'd take that bus a heck of a lot more if it afforded the ten extra minutes of travel time to loop at Aberfoyle. So would a lot of others. I live right at Bloor Station, and Metrolinx routing from the west end of Toronto to points further west is abysmal, save for the Mt Pleasant hourly service late morning to mid-afternoon.

The 30 bus makes it to the Kitchener station in less time than the present train service does when it runs to K/W on late afternoon peak. Which kind of indicates that demand for AD2W train service isn't really there.

Someone's not thinking at ML HQ. That 30 bus would be carrying a hell of a lot more passengers if it connected at Aberfoyle with the 29, 48, 25 and a new connecting run down to Aldershot/perhaps through to McMaster.

That being said, when I've taken the 10:33 from Bramalea both times, it's been half full. I just might take the 9:40 next time. I'd be a lot more avid to use the bus for distance cycling excursion if K/W wasn't such a nightmare to cycle out of, in any direction. That bus is such a fast way to get out to the region that I've scoured the maps to look for possible routes I haven't already tried. Those that I have I won't do again. Last time I took the GRT 200 Express down to Galt terminal just to get on a trail to escape the urban madness. (The trail to Paris/Brantford/Hamilton is superb, save for going through Brantford itself).

A loop at Aberfoyle addresses all those issues for me, and would make the run far more valuable to many others by connecting through on other routes.

My alternative to taking the Mt. Pleasant train and connecting at Bramalea? TTC subway to Islington, Mi-Way 109 to Square One, then 25 or 29 bus from there. Or the 47 bus after a half hour wait Bramalea to Square One, then another 20-30 min wait for a 25 or 29. The 30 is timed to leave 10 mins after the train arriving at Bramalea. How can such an incredibly useful 'extension' of the train service be so badly wasted?

Of course, if UPX allowed a GO fare to the Airport, and a transfer onto the two GO routes that connect there and Square One, life would be a lot simpler for many people, but alas. It's too obvious and sensible.

I do have the option of taking UPX down to Union, then the 21 bus from there to Square One, then a 25 or 29 bus west....but c'mon! In any other city, and according to Metrolinx' own Bylaw 2, transfers through the Airport at "fares equivalent to any other longer route taken" (by GO) must be made available. I can't think of any other city/region that forces such convoluted and time consuming circuitous obstructions. In a number of cities (London UK, Paris, etc) fares are cheaper if you *avoid the core* for obvious reasons. But not in Metrolinx Land.

That will be legally tested some time soon...

Last edited:
If US cities, even in Texas, car loving cities, can do it, so can we:

The difference in some of these US places is, the roads are full, the price of new roads has been costed, and the city is saying, "Holy crap, we gotta do something, but is there something cheaper?". Which is actually an action-provoking situation to be in ... perhaps moreso than our situation where the transit advocates are seen as simply serving partisan politics.

In that vein, I suspect it is dawning on the PC's that once the 401 gets extended to Highway 8, and once the streetcars are swept from the streets (their agenda, not mine)....there won't be many options left for highway expansion that will actually meet demand. So GO will be seen favourably. The tipping point will be when last-mile transportation is seen as a solution to local congestion and parking garages are maxed out.

I bet the contractor pays its Arlington drivers a whole lot less than TTC wages and benefits. All the same, a Mercedes ride on demand ..... nice :)

- Paul

The difference in some of these US places is, the roads are full, the price of new roads has been costed, and the city is saying, "Holy crap, we gotta do something, but is there something cheaper?". Which is actually an action-provoking situation to be in ... perhaps moreso than our situation where the transit advocates are seen as simply serving partisan politics.
[...]
- Paul
The irony is that is *excellent conservative thinking* to provide the cheaper, more efficient option. There are two issues that need to be separated, as it's easy to confuse *micro bus service only* and *micro bus for the last mile*. This affects the pros and cons.

From the article linked:
[...]
Via, which launched in 2013, operates its own vehicles in New York City, Chicago, and Washington, D.C., providing 1.5 million rides per month, according to its website. The company has licensed software to other public agencies in search of alternatives to poor-performing bus routes: Austin, Texas; Orange County, California; and the city of Kent in the UK all have Via technology working beneath their custom apps, apparently with relative success. Austin’s pilot, called “Pickup,” reached six-month ridership goals within the first two months.
[...]
https://www.citylab.com/transportat...-texas-towns-big-leap-to-microtransit/546134/

Not mentioned that I've read so far is whether Uber (or their ilk) could run *both* private cars and *community owned* micro buses depending on time of day and demand.

See:
How the Microtransit Movement Is Changing Urban Mobility
  1. ERIC JAFFE
APR 27, 2015

The UK and other nations have been running "Mini-Buses" for decades in smaller communities, the claim being that they've saved transit on routes that otherwise couldn't work financially.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/2-million-available-for-community-minibuses

http://www.powertochange.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2017/06/Research-Report-7-Transport-DIGITAL.pdf

^ I think someone posted this situation will get better in a couple of months when there is a CN Rail schedule change?

^ I think someone posted this situation will get better in a couple of months when there is a CN Rail schedule change?

Not that it will - but that it "could" get better with the change of card in October. Provided CN decided to change the scheduling of their freight.

Considering GO is already making noises about adding more track to the existing sections makes me think that CN isn't really obliging, however.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Possibly, but ML is going ahead with construction of a service track at King City that will let the CN roadswitcher do its work without blocking GO.

I'm told that all the purchase agreements of former CN lines contained clauses allowing CN to continue providing freight service to customers, on the same basis as was the case when CN owned the lines. In most other cases that clause was innocuous, because some of those services ran at night in CN days and continue to do so.... or because there is enough track in some other locations to accommodate CN as well as GO. It happens that CN moved the Newmarket roadswitcher to a day schedule a couple of years before the sale of that line. So CN's right to run that train to King City in daytime remains. ML either didn't think ahead, or didn't consider the conflict a concern before it signed the deal.

- Paul

^ Interesting. Thanks @smallspy @crs1026 - I wonder if it's impacting ridership. By the way, I assume there are any public documents showing the ridership of the mid-day new Barrie Line trains since they were introduced?

If these impacts are happening on Fridays or Sundays/Holiday Mondays, it's impacting the pilot with Ontario Northland.

The roadswitcher only causes issues for a couple of hours in the middle of the day on Mondays and Thursdays. It won't affect the pilot whatsoever.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

To be fair, in suburbs where there is essentially no last mile solution, how do you expect people to get to GO stations other than driving? Actually they should get the credit not driving all the way downtown.

Depends on the suburb. Mississauga, Brampton, Burlington/Hamilton, and most of the downtown areas of North York have no excuses to not run transit to and from the station during the early morning rush, and there should be no excuses during the midday (when transit is actually running). Even in Waterloo, the farthest location in the system, you can catch a bus from Conestoga mall and make 2 of the 4 early morning trains downtown. I still think they should extend the GO line to the Boardwalk in Waterloo because of all the available parking and transit connections. Oh well.

Imagine having an entire GO bus to yourself haha

Have you ever ridden the 30 bus?

Back