News   Jul 19, 2024
 335     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 598     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 1.7K     3 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

If they move off CN onto CP, then it makes sense. The Stepenson and Gibb station in particuar is alomst exactly north of the current GO station on the CN Kingston Sub. Simcoe and Olive wouldn't be too far from where the old CP station was, and much closer to downtown.

Bloor and Grandview was about where I expected a spur from CN to CP would go to serve Bowmanville as per earlier plans (using the existing CN route west of there).

Ideally, I'd have a commuter-based bi-level service on the current route to Bowmanville, and regional electric (or even diesel) multiple unit trains splitting off CN near Simcoe and using the old Oshawa Railway alignment right into downtown, with an intermodal terminal (like Hamilton GO Centre) near where the GM Arena is.

New GO stations for Oshawa? Does Oshawa really need 3?

Could be a great new standard set here that could lead to massive construction of GO stations.

Using 2006 census date, that would represent 1 station for every 47k population.....Mississauga, then, would be short 5 stations from their required 14.....I am sure there are other places that would need new stations built too just to keep up with Oshawa ;)

To have stations so close together, I think we need to electrify first. The Mississauga stations aren't that far from each other, especially Meadowvale and Lisgar.

I was out at Lisgar Station on Friday and had to tell GO riders where to catch buses that operate from other station only with no connection to them from this station.

A video of what the station looks like at noon weekday.

One rider was trying to get to Guelph.

It would be nice for GO to have maps posted at station and show what bus goes where from them and how to get to a station where a route a new rider wants to get is.

To have stations so close together, I think we need to electrify first. The Mississauga stations aren't that far from each other, especially Meadowvale and Lisgar.

You can have what I call milk runs that stops at every station along with skip station service. This way a rider has a choice of staying on the milk train or transfer to a skip train at a station both use. The headway would be the same so that the connection is haft the wait time at the skip stop.

At the sametime, you can use mid and long haul express service for all day service.

There is no need for a station between the 2 stops based on what there now as well 20 years from now.

On either side of them, yes you need new stations that will be in between the current ones.

This also applies to other lines.

Has the new Credit River bridge on the Georgetown line started construction?

Strange that someone going to Guelph would end up at Lisgar. At Milton it would make sense since you would assume (incorrectly) that Milton being the closest station to Guelph on the Milton line might have service to Guelph but Lisgar?

A major infrastructure announcement is planned for today with the province and feds - I'm assuming it may be GO transit related - but I could be completely wrong.

I hope this wasn't it:

Municipalities Working with Federal and Provincial Governments to Create Jobs and Invest in Ontario

TORONTO, June 5 /CNW/ - The Association of Municipalities of Ontario
(AMO) today welcomed news that a total of $3.4 billion in infrastructure
investment is now committed to specific municipal infrastructure projects
across Ontario.
"Ontario's need for infrastructure investment is tremendous and our need
to create jobs and boost our economy is acute," said Peter Hume, President of
AMO. "All three orders of government understand this and we are all working
together to invest in Ontario's future prosperity."
The new investment is funded under two programs, and in each case, one
third of the investment is coming from each order of government - Federal,
Provincial and Municipal. It includes:

- $2.79 Billion that is made possible by the Federal Infrastructure
Stimulus Fund and matching dollars from the Ontario Government and
municipal governments.

- $614 million under the Communities Component of the Federal
Government's Building Canada Fund, combined with matching dollars
from the Ontario Government and municipal governments.

In total, these investments are contributing to nearly 1,400 new capital
projects across Ontario.
"Municipalities recognize the need to put economic stimulus money to work
in the interest of job creation, essential infrastructure investment, and
improved competitiveness. Collectively, municipalities are contributing more
than a billion dollars to the effort. Across Ontario, construction season is
in full swing as municipalities take advantage of this opportunity to invest
in road and bridge work, and other types of capital projects."
A Joint Provincial-Municipal Fiscal and Service Delivery Review,
completed in October 2008, estimated that closing Ontario's infrastructure
deficit would require increased investment of $6 billion a year for the next
10 years.

AMO is a non-profit organization representing almost all of Ontario's 444
municipal governments. AMO supports strong and effective municipal government
in Ontario and promotes the value of municipal government as a vital and
essential component of Ontario and Canada's political system.

For further information: Pat Vanini, AMO Executive Director, (416)
971-9856, ext. 316 or (416) 729-4394; Brian Lambie, AMO Media Contact, (416)
729-5425

Hopefully a lot of these funds are going to be earmarked for the various forms of public transit throughout Ontario.

Strange that someone going to Guelph would end up at Lisgar. At Milton it would make sense since you would assume (incorrectly) that Milton being the closest station to Guelph on the Milton line might have service to Guelph but Lisgar?

They studied the issue and found that Lisgar was more attractive. The main reason is that the severe congestion doesn't really start until Mississauga, and Lisgar is much closer to the 401 than Milton.

In the video I shot on May 29, work has started on the north side on the east bank. I love to get down into the area to get some real nice photo`s of the current bridge.

Some other video`s
Georgetown west end
Geoegetown east end
GO 525-526-527 on eastbound CN train at Georgetown
619 been move to Milton yard with red head lights
Last GO train for the day at Milton Yard. 626-619-618 sitting there with power off.
Lisgar empty parking lot at noon

Back