News   Aug 09, 2024
 822     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 678     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 2.9K     2 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

He was guilty of fare evasion. If he bought a ticket like 99% of the GO Train riders he would not have had any of these issues.

He alleges that the CBSA held him for too long. He is not alleging that GO nor CBSA did anything wrong in the initial arrest. So if the person arrested isn't even suggesting the cops did something wrong why are you reading so much into it?

The police are there to assess and make arrests where appropriate. If you do not like the law, change it. Don't ask the police to selectively enforce a law.

Are you the type to think that 3-strike rules in law are a good idea? Because that's basically the logic here. An effectively harmless crime (fare dodging) shouldn't be used as an excuse to detain and deport someone. No doubt the Filipino guy should've bought a ticket but the response to his failing to pay $15-20 max has been completely disproportionate.

He was guilty of fare evasion. If he bought a ticket like 99% of the GO Train riders he would not have had any of these issues.

He alleges that the CBSA held him for too long. He is not alleging that GO nor CBSA did anything wrong in the initial arrest. So if the person arrested isn't even suggesting the cops did something wrong why are you reading so much into it?

The police are there to assess and make arrests where appropriate. If you do not like the law, change it. Don't ask the police to selectively enforce a law.

I do not care what he alleges. Transit fare inspectors are explicitly there to enforce selective laws. The purpose of their existence is selective law enforcement. This agents actions were a grotesque leap of authority and morality.

I do not care what he alleges. Transit fare inspectors are explicitly there to enforce selective laws. The purpose of their existence is selective law enforcement. This agents actions were a grotesque leap of authority and morality.

It's a bit like asking a building inspector or a Hydro inspector to report on whatever bad things they see when they enter properties to check on construction projects. In theory they have a duty to uphold all the laws. If they walk in on a grow op, maybe it gets reported. But if they see a small baggie of drugs on the kitchen counter....they look the other way. Officialdom is not absolute, and POP inspectors are not police officers (notwithstanding what authority they have on paper). Sometimes you stick to your knitting and leave the real detective work to the real cops.

- Paul

I will also throw in to this my experience. In the several thousand GO train rides I have taken I believe there have been ~10 times I failed the fare inspection because I forgot to punch, tap, buy a ticket etc. All were simple warnings telling me to make sure to pay next time, or even politely asking me to pay when I get to the destination. Zero times was I asked for ID.

I will also throw in to this my experience. In the several thousand GO train rides I have taken I believe there have been ~10 times I failed the fare inspection because I forgot to punch, tap, buy a ticket etc. All were simple warnings telling me to make sure to pay next time, or even politely asking me to pay when I get to the destination. Zero times was I asked for ID.

And in how many of those times were you given a ticket?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I don't ride the GO that often, but I have witnessed two incidents of fare inspectors coming across an non-fare payment and they asked for identification.

I think they answered that. The answer was zero.

I'll put money on them being white, and speaking with a Canadian accent.

I don't ride the GO that often, but I have witnessed two incidents of fare inspectors coming across an non-fare payment and they asked for identification.

I know it was zero. And that was kind of the point.

If you get written up for a ticket, the officer will ask for identification. If you don't have any identification on you, then you're going to have some major issues beyond just a ticket.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

I know it was zero. And that was kind of the point.

If you get written up for a ticket, the officer will ask for identification. If you don't have any identification on you, then you're going to have some major issues beyond just a ticket.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

It's kind of weird to ask for an ID though and expect someone to be able to produce one necessarily - unlike other jurisdictions, there is no legal requirement for anyone to carry, and not everyone drives.

AoD

It's kind of weird to ask for an ID though and expect someone to be able to produce one necessarily - unlike other jurisdictions, there is no legal requirement for anyone to carry, and not everyone drives.

AoD

Well its their way of keeping a record of repeat fare evaders. Makes sense to me. Helps determine if you're going to get a warning, a fine, or a ban from the system.

How that transcends into how GO officers should be enforcing other laws beyond GO's bylaws, I don't really have enough information to form a stance.

I also couldn't guess if he was targeted because of the colour of his skin; if he was checked on a train, it would be an absolute no because everyone gets checked. But since it's on a train platform, I don't know if they were checking everyone.

EDIT: some further research into By-law No. 2, under section 5.3:

Where a proper authority has reasonable grounds to believe an offence under this by-law has been committed by a person, the proper authority may require the name, address and proof of identity of that person, and the person shall provide the required information to the proper authority at the time of request.
So having valid ID while using the GO is a requirement.

Last edited:
I believe these will be in the new 16 loco arriving late this year and in 2017. Can do 125 mph, but our infrastructure needs to be upgraded before getting this high.

Part of the 16 new locos will be assign to KW line to keep the Weston group happy as promise for all the non EMU trains.

Cummins receives Tier 4 cert. for QSK95 locomotives

I believe these will be in the new 16 loco arriving late this year and in 2017. Can do 125 mph, but our infrastructure needs to be upgraded before getting this high.
Wow, that's 201kph

What about the consist itself? BiLevels are rated up to about 150kph.

Back