News   Jun 28, 2024
 2.7K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 599     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Why? do you think a station at Steeles is a bad idea?
Yes, it will have minimal ridership, just like the current York University. Actually, even lower considering Pioneer Village subway station is not far away.
Too many stops on the line would slow down the trip.

Yes, it will have minimal ridership, just like the current York University. Actually, even lower considering Pioneer Village subway station is not far away.
Too many stops on the line would slow down the trip.
But they can be closer together in 905? Isn't keeping a stop that intersects with one of Metrolinx's proposed rapid transit lines a good thing?

But they can be closer together in 905? Isn't keeping a stop that intersects with one of Metrolinx's proposed rapid transit lines a good thing?
A. Both Rutherford and Maple have high riderships, hence both are needed.
B. Pioneer Village station would not intersect this potential GO station at Steeles

Anything you can add to the strong support for Park Lawn GO? Did this come from Metrolinx or the politicians? I know there is strong political support, given the Liberals owning that part of Etobicoke, but what is Metrolinx saying? They have historically taken a very adversarial stance to a station there.

Most of the meeting was a lineup of people speaking, and then the pols (and Leslie Woo of ML) responding. The very first speaker went directly to this topic, and got applause from the room for it. Several subsequent speakers also raised it. Both MPP Milczyn and the Minister responded indicating they were aware of the issue and that it was one of the locations being studied in the GO "Additional Stops" review. Both were noncommittal about how that review would turn out, but their statements endorsed the speakers' assertions that transportation in the area is a mess and needed improvement. They got a couple of other suggestions for station locations over the evening and gave the same response, but with less resonance and less engaged body language. Leslie Woo even nodded a few times. I took that as a sign that they really do get the issue on this one, which doesn't mean it will get approved in the end. It got more applause than most other comments, too.

The Minister was there to look good, so no one was shooting down anything that was said - but my impression was that this one got more than polite indulgence.

- Paul

Isn't keeping a stop that intersects with one of Metrolinx's proposed rapid transit lines a good thing?
B. Pioneer Village station would not intersect this potential GO station at Steeles
No it wouldn't. But a GO station at Steeles does intersect Metrolinx's proposed rapid transit line on Steeles from Pioneer Village to Milliken GO station. We were discussing it when it was proposed in http://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/steeles-rt.9044/\

Hard to imagine why you would remove a GO station at a key intersection between two major routes!

Thanks for the summary. Much appreciated.

It's encouraging to read, but at this point I see a riot happening if Park Lawn GO does not get picked. Some of the suggestions flying around the various board meetings (and this one surprised even me) is for a wholesale refusal to pay property tax if you live in HBS.

Thanks for the summary. Much appreciated.

It's encouraging to read, but at this point I see a riot happening if Park Lawn GO does not get picked. Some of the suggestions flying around the various board meetings (and this one surprised even me) is for a wholesale refusal to pay property tax if you live in HBS.
There has to be an easier way to choose not to live in an area than to create a situation where there are judicial sales of properties for not paying taxes ;)

There has to be an easier way to choose not to live in an area than to create a situation where there are judicial sales of properties for not paying taxes ;)
Hey not my idea, but I wonder what would happen if 12,000 or so properties suddenly stopped paying? I'd like to see the city try and do something about it.

Hey not my idea, but I wonder what would happen if 12,000 or so properties suddenly stopped paying? I'd like to see the city try and do something about it.
What they would do is clearly mandated to them....they would accrue taxes on the property (and add interest at a fairly high rate) for 3 years....after 3 years of non-payment they would issue a notice of judicial sale.

Unlike other defaulted creditors (like mortgage holders) municipalities in a tax sale have no obligation to obtain/achieve "market value" for the property and can just sell the property for the amount of the tax arrears, interest and costs that are outstanding.

You must be really fun at parties.

It's meant as a symbolic move by a fed up community. Temporary until someone gets the message loud and clear.

I believe in political change and Grimey has got to go. Civil disobedience is better without involving assets.

This one kinda has two sides to it.

The people in the residential area north of Humber Bay are certainly fed up with watching the traffic from the condo's fill up our streets. The condo owners are fed up with not being able to get in and out of their buildings easily.

We ought to be on the same side on this. Everybody is equally frustrated, but the condo owners talk as if they just discovered the wheel, which alienates the residents to the north. The SOB's ("South of Bloor's") started protesting this long before the first condo's were built.....to no avail. So our response has a certain amount of Caveat Emptor.

But yeah, Grimes has got to go. Classic case of a self-serving guy who chastises other councillors over excesses going on elsewhere, but votes in favour of the similar things when they are proposed in his ward.

- Paul

You must be really fun at parties.

Not sure why you have to get personal?........you wondered what the city would do and I told you. For three years they would do nothing but Sen overdue Notices an accrue interest..........then, if not settled after 3 years they would sell the properties.

It's meant as a symbolic move by a fed up community. Temporary until someone gets the message loud and clear.

Fine, as long as the symbolic move ends before 3 years, the only cost to the protesters will be the interest and penalties.

I believe in political change and Grimey has got to go.
We actually have organized and institutionalized events of political change......we call them elections .

Gotta run to a party now ;)

We don't get rid of people like Grimes in this town. That fate is reserved to people like John Parker (who as a municipal thinker is pretty good but who I unfollowed on Twitter when his love for Republican thinkers like George Will became too much in my timeline)

What about Concord Go? A station at Steeles would be less that 3 km from Concord Go.
Though on opposite sides of the 407. That's a nightmare drive in rush-hour. I've taken more time to travel from the 407 ramp on Keele to Steeles than it's taken me to drive from downtown to the 407/Keele ramp in AM peak!

Back