News   Jul 15, 2024
 510     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 668     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 586     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

So I got thinking about a GO extension to Uxbridge and how it could be "bundled" with an increase in service on Stouffville to 9 rush hour trains instead of the current 6. To do this you would build a 3 train yard in Uxbridge, and only those 3 trains would make the trip up. They would replace 1/2 of the current runs, with the Lincolnville spots reserved for the more "off peak" runs. Maybe run the 3 12 car trains to Uxbridge, with the 10 car trains staying at Lincolnville. YDHR operations would obviously be displaced by this, and they could have a couple of storage tracks built in Goodwood. (they already have a siding there that they use in their operations) One Yard space would have to be a bit longer to allow for YDHR trains to reach the uxbridge train station on weekends, but you could still fairly easily fit 3 GO trains in the yard area YDHR currently uses. (with some renovations of course)

Red is rail lines, White is parking:

qWkWUKn.jpg

Compared to the current day setup:

vfbqWbp.jpg

So I got thinking about a GO extension to Uxbridge and how it could be "bundled" with an increase in service on Stouffville to 9 rush hour trains instead of the current 6. To do this you would build a 3 train yard in Uxbridge, and only those 3 trains would make the trip up. They would replace 1/2 of the current runs, with the Lincolnville spots reserved for the more "off peak" runs. Maybe run the 3 12 car trains to Uxbridge, with the 10 car trains staying at Lincolnville. YDHR operations would obviously be displaced by this, and they could have a couple of storage tracks built in Goodwood. (they already have a siding there that they use in their operations) One Yard space would have to be a bit longer to allow for YDHR trains to reach the uxbridge train station on weekends, but you could still fairly easily fit 3 GO trains in the yard area YDHR currently uses. (with some renovations of course)

I like this. I think we could find another parking lot somewhere near but this is very nice.

I think after 2015, we could see all day to Mount Joy and at 2025 Maybe 8 trains a day to Uxbridge?

Last edited by a moderator:
Service update; Barrie service going to 20 min in January with one additional train.

And FYI, Lakeshore West shut down next weekend isn't just for Dufferin bridge removal but also to allow GO to work uninterrupted on other sections along the line most notable at Mimico where the north Platform is being lengthened and will require a realignment of the yard lead - trains will be left at the Don yard all weekend long.

Nothing against the residents, but how many people from Uxbridge actually commute on GO? Extending to a town of 20,000 people (and that won't likely top 30,000 by 2030) just doesn't seem like a priority. If there is a high percentage of commuters from this town, I could be swayed on this though.

Service update; Barrie service going to 20 min in January with one additional train.

Should we expect any changes on the other lines?

Nothing against the residents, but how many people from Uxbridge actually commute on GO? Extending to a town of 20,000 people (and that won't likely top 30,000 by 2030) just doesn't seem like a priority.

Average ridership per station in 2013 for GO is just shy of 3000 people per day (train ridership / station count). I don't know how much stations deviate but I expect some like Oakville must be triple that number; which means some stations are going to be well below 3000/day.

If there are any secondary benefits from an Uxbridge station like room for train storage; then it's probably worth doing despite the small population. Capturing 4% of the current population would be sufficient to fill a train and their fares will be higher than average.

Last edited:
I don't think the demand is really strong, but I feel it would be more successful than Kitchener. (at least initially) half of the proposal is the increase in service on Stouffville as well, as it is difficult to expand Lincolnville, which restricts rush hour trip growth in the future. it would allow growth to 9 trips, which might be difficult to accommodate otherwise.

I don't think the demand is really strong, but I feel it would be more successful than Kitchener. (at least initially) half of the proposal is the increase in service on Stouffville as well, as it is difficult to expand Lincolnville, which restricts rush hour trip growth in the future. it would allow growth to 9 trips, which might be difficult to accommodate otherwise.

I'd rather see the Bolton service first, even two trains to start - it will serve the 25,000 in Bolton as well as 30,000 to 50,000 in Woodbridge and the far eastern section of Brampton. It will likely require some track work to accomodate GO on CP's track (perhaps even a new track in sections) and four new stations: Bolton (somewhere around Caledon-Vaughan Townline and Highway 50), Kleinburg/Nashville, Woodbridge and Emery. There should be a way to connect the CP MacTier Sub to the Weston Sub before the latter descends into the Weston trench/tunnel.

Bolton is another much needed expansion, and I normally thought of an Uxbridge expansion as fairly unimportant. My little "idea" came more from trying to think of a way of improving capacity on Stouffville than from an extension to Uxbridge. The fact that Bowmanville is such a high priority (Metrolinx is already buying land for it) along with the ridership figures for Kitchener, It makes me wonder if GO would consider an Uxbridge extension half as an extension and half as a service increase on Stouffville. The Bolton extension runs into other issues as well such as finding space at Union. an Uxbridge extension would allow for more riders than the 300-400 that would probably get on in Uxbridge as there would be more trips to serve Markham. The only thing is that Lincolnville would probably all but cease use. (the majority of people using the stop currently drive in from Uxbridge)

I'd rather see the Bolton service first, even two trains to start - it will serve the 25,000 in Bolton as well as 30,000 to 50,000 in Woodbridge and the far eastern section of Brampton. It will likely require some track work to accomodate GO on CP's track ...

Which makes it a billion dollar project.

Bolton is another much needed expansion, and I normally thought of an Uxbridge expansion as fairly unimportant. My little "idea" came more from trying to think of a way of improving capacity on Stouffville than from an extension to Uxbridge. The fact that Bowmanville is such a high priority (Metrolinx is already buying land for it) along with the ridership figures for Kitchener,

The same thing can/should be said about the KW extension though. Sure, if you look at the numbers who board at the new stations they appear disappointing....but that extension made possible the train that runs on the line that gets into Union just after 9 in the morning...that train is now running pretty well full and was not possible prior to the extension to KW.

Back