News   Jul 15, 2024
 41     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 498     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 601     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

While I like the idea of having quiet zones on GO Trains I find it strange that it's by level instead of by coach. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the quiet coaches in the UK, but I would have thought it would make sense to have say the two cars on either side of the accessibility coach (to be away from the noise of the horn) be zoned quiet and the rest are normal. That way noise from the lower levels isn't making it's way upstairs. Advertise that it is the quiet coach beside the doors, so people know what it is right away and can choose whether or they want that.

Agreed about designating specific cars rather than the top deck of each car. Amtrak of course is known for their popular quiet cars on their NEC trains and a few other short-haul runs. They have specific cars that are designated as quiet.

http://www.amtrak.com/onboard-the-train-quiet-car

It may simply be the case that it's easier for people to be aware that they are in a quiet zone if it is a blanket rule like all upper-level areas. I know I often do not realize which car I am in, and asking everyone to make the effort to know where they are in the train may result in the quiet zones being less successful.

While I like the idea of having quiet zones on GO Trains I find it strange that it's by level instead of by coach. Maybe it's just because I'm used to the quiet coaches in the UK, but I would have thought it would make sense to have say the two cars on either side of the accessibility coach (to be away from the noise of the horn) be zoned quiet and the rest are normal. That way noise from the lower levels isn't making it's way upstairs. Advertise that it is the quiet coach beside the doors, so people know what it is right away and can choose whether or they want that.

Also, earphones that don't bleed noise and quiet laptops and tablets are just being polite. People shouldn't have those too loud anywhere on public transit.

It may have something to do with the way people get on and off GO trains. Because the really convenient entrance and exit doors at each station are different, there is a clear preference for where people sit depending on what station they are headed to/from.

So, for example, the Bramalea Station on the KW line people tend to conglomorate near the east end of the train as that is where they have easy access to their cars when they get off....not as many of them board/exit the western end of their trains.

The same is true at the other stops on that line (and, I presume other lines).....so you get an uneven boarding/exiting of trains dependent on which stop.

If the "quiet" zones were restricted by car rather than level it might be harder to manage. So, instead, they are experimenting by level. So a noisy Bramalean (to keep my example going) would get on at the east end and stay downstairs....a quiet Bramalean can still get on the same car they would normally get on but head upstairs for peace and quiet.

In the end, though, the impact of this experiment will be minimal as GO trains (on all lines) operate during the peak times at (over?) capacity so people will sit where they can find a seat...or stand where they can find a spot....and it will be very difficult to say "if you want to talk go downstairs" when there are no spots for them to go downstairs to.

It may have something to do with the way people get on and off GO trains. Because the really convenient entrance and exit doors at each station are different, there is a clear preference for where people sit depending on what station they are headed to/from.
On top of that, it's not uncommon for certain cars of the train to not board at certain stations due to platform work. For example, if the east end of a Lakeshore train (if the program were currently in effect there, of course) were designated quiet, they'd be inaccessible to Ajax passengers right now since the easternmost cars are not boarding at Ajax.

I don't think it would make sense for GO to keep changing around which cars are quiet to accomodate construction. "Upper level" is simple and consistent.

Anyone notice that the TVs in the GO stations didn't update for the emergency schedule on Friday? I was in Millikan station on the stouffville line, waiting for the 15:18 train from Union. It normally only travels to Unionville, and that is what it said on the TV. It caused a bit of distress/confusion for me because the emergency schedule said that it was travelling all the way to Lincolnville, where I was headed. The emergency schedule of course ended being correct, but those TVs should be updated for when emergency schedule changes like this are made.

Anyone notice that the TVs in the GO stations didn't update for the emergency schedule on Friday? I was in Millikan station on the stouffville line, waiting for the 15:18 train from Union. It normally only travels to Unionville, and that is what it said on the TV. It caused a bit of distress/confusion for me because the emergency schedule said that it was travelling all the way to Lincolnville, where I was headed. The emergency schedule of course ended being correct, but those TVs should be updated for when emergency schedule changes like this are made.

Yep......i got to Union at about 6:10 p.m. on Friday. My train was 6:50 but figured best to be at the station.

Bumped into a friend who I had not seen in ages but I know goes west on Lakeshore line..... so we started chatting and before long we kinda lost track of time....at about 6:30 I asked him if he shouldn't be headed for his train he said he had lots of time because that next train goes express to Clarkson and he gets of at Port Credit.....when I told him that the emergency measures meant all trains were all stops.....he dashed off.

Makes you wonder how many others in that crowd were people who could have been on trains already with a bit more communication and better screen updates.

That said......with the accident on the Barrie line, GO was dealing with a real emergency and, in the end, that 6:50 train I was waiting for left only 10 minutes late and the GO/Brampton Transit combo got me home and shovelling in 1hr and 40 minutes.......only 20 - 25 minutes longer than normal........given the weather conditions, I am pretty pleased with that performance.

From what I heard today, pay parking is long over due considering over 50% of riders don't use the parking lot in the first place and paying for the ones who do.

The other things that needs to be address is Metrolinx getting into the REIT game for all the land they own for the stations and parking lots. That means putting parking underground with development on top of it.

Metrolinx is looking at a partnership with local transit systems than take them over to help to create the seamless fare integration between all areas including GO. There are a number of meeting plan for all transit systems to sit down with Metrolinx about the seamless systems to the point that these transit systems are to bring plans with them as what they see in the way of service for the next 5-20 year time frame in their area.

Crews being hire for training for more service in the coming months will be train twice, as they will end up on the Union Pearson line. They will see service on the Kitchener line first to understand the line and then move to the spur line as well the new trains once they show up in early 2014. This line will have to be staff 100% for 2015 first before more service can be added to the system. Metrolinx is hoping a lot of CN & CP engineers who have reach retirement levels with them will move over to them to cut down on the 2 year rule.

Time the Feds look at this rule, as it will take a shorter time frame like around the world to become an engineer in matters of months than years, as well moving to single person for the UP line, including shorter EMU's when they show up. This will apply to others lines as shorter EMU's come on line.

The Milton line is being push back due to CP changing the EA requirements time after time, since they want 4 tracks in the first place. Then there are the various grade separations that needs to happen first. Considering a number of these grade separation will have huge impact on the local areas, the local municipalities are not buying into them at this time. Mississauga has the most of those separations and I am not sure how the city is going to deal with 2 of them without a major tear down of the area, as well closing the roads until construction is done for the new underpass. You are looking at $15-$35m for these separations, with Mississauga having 9 of them. Mississauga Rd underpass could be around $50-$100m to deal with all the issues there.

If the pay parking means also a fare reduction, then I guess GO will no longer need to subsidize a discount for local transit users? The real problem was for people who walk to the station, and would finally not have to pay for parking anymore.

Anyone surprised that Milton is getting pushed back? Mississauga is screwed again. No surprise there.

The government needs to step in and just seize all the land from CP, imo. All that infrastructure shouldn't be in the hands of private individuals, especially considering that it was built with public money.

If the pay parking means also a fare reduction, then I guess GO will no longer need to subsidize a discount for local transit users? The real problem was for people who walk to the station, and would finally not have to pay for parking anymore.

A lot of the time I would have someone drop me off at the station, and then pick me up on the way back out. Seeing as how I'm not using a parking space (and the pick-ups and drop-offs are usually evenings and weekends), a small drop in fares would be a nice gesture.

And I totally agree Drum about developing around GO sites, particularly retail. Heck, even if it was just a Tim Hortons, an LCBO kiosk, and like a Dry Cleaner or something, that would be a good start.

A Tim Hortons at most GO stations, especially in the morning, would be a license to print money.

But, it seems, GO is now considering charging for parking as a part of its suite of revenue generation tools.....not as a way to lower fares. This new trial balloon being floated about pay parking does not give the impression that it is about fairness or equity across the passengers.....it is about increasing GO's revenue base.

But, it seems, GO is now considering charging for parking as a part of its suite of revenue generation tools.....not as a way to lower fares. This new trial balloon being floated about pay parking does not give the impression that it is about fairness or equity across the passengers.....it is about increasing GO's revenue base.
The end result would be similar though ... those not parking would pay less than those parking.

Anyone surprised that Milton is getting pushed back? Mississauga is screwed again. No surprise there.

Full service to Milton is getting pushed back, but service to Streetsville is not. Mississauga isn't getting screwed, at least no worse than any of the other communities that are clamouring for additional service.

.... especially considering that it was built with public money.

Sorry, what?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back