News   Apr 26, 2024
 376     1 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 195     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 649     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Many are being replaced so I assume Metrolinx has determined they've reached the end of their life. They've done this on other corridors. From the October 28th Metrolinx Toronto East email newsletter:

View attachment 436069

The "here" link takes you to a PDF that has "November 2020" in the filename (screenshot below). That probably explains why the Notice below says the work is ongoing to "mid-2021". Looks like there's still more work to do. The delay bridge for the Phase 2 East Don Trail has been discussed in GO Construction and East Don Trail threads.

Latest TRCA update here from August 15, 2022.

View attachment 436070
Interesting. But none of the trestles need replacement? I was hoping that they would double track some sections between Oriole and Old Cummer to allow trains to pass. All of the bridges over roadways are double track compatible.

Interesting, I was looking at a 1992 schedule for the Milton Line and I noticed that there was 2 reverse peak trains running eastbound to Union. A 16:08 departure from Erindale and a 18:15 departure from Milton for Union.
512743DF-1D2E-4820-B73E-28883D44A728.jpeg

There was also a single reverse peak train westbound to Erindale from Union at 08:25 in the morning. Why exactly were these services cancelled?

Interesting, I was looking at a 1992 schedule for the Milton Line and I noticed that there was 2 reverse peak trains running eastbound to Union. A 16:08 departure from Erindale and a 18:15 departure from Milton for Union.
View attachment 436202
There was also a single reverse peak train westbound to Erindale from Union at 08:25 in the morning. Why exactly were these services cancelled?
I believe these were deadheads that they decided to put into service, but for what reason they were cancelled, im not sure. Perhaps another train yard was built that meant deadheading wasn't needed, or CP complained about slowing down their network by stopping at the stations for in-service.

View attachment 436202

GO Transit added limited mid-day and evening service on this corridor in October 1990. three mid-day trips Union to Erindale and one roundtrip to Milton in the evening.

The service was summarily dialed back 2 mid-day trips just one year later in October '91, this was one round of GO cuts imposed under the Bob Rae NDP gov't that also cut service back on other corridors as well, for instance they cut service to Acton and Guelph and rolled that corridor back to Georgetown in July '93

Mike Harris weilded the Axe again in '96 cutting the remaining mid-day and evening service.

For a history of significant GO Transit Milestones, good and bad, see this site: http://www.trainweb.org/railwayop/significantdates.htm

Last edited:
GO Transit added limited mid-day and evening service on this corridor in October 1990. three mid-day trips Union to Erindale and one roundtrip to Milton in the evening.

The service was summarily dialed back 2 mid-day trips just one year later in October '91, this was one round of GO cuts imposed under the Bob Rae NDP gov't that also cut service back on other corridors as well, for instance they cut service to Acton and Guelph and rolled that corridor back to Georgetown in July '93

Mike Harris weilded the Axe again in '96 cutting the remaining mid-day and evening service.

For a history of significant GO Transit Milestones, good and bad, see this site: http://www.trainweb.org/railwayop/significantdates.htm

Heh. I love this entry:
2004, Sept - Delays sparking reviews since accidents taking EMS extensive periods of time to investiagte while delaying 1000s of commuters
The more things change ...

Why would we need drinking water fountains in a regional train? People generally aren't in the train long enough to finish a bottle of water anyway. It seems like a waste of energy/acceleration to accelerate drinking water tanks to 100 km/h and back every five minutes along the ride.

Expanding water fountains in stations seems like a much better investment.

Why would we need drinking water fountains in a regional train? People generally aren't in the train long enough to finish a bottle of water anyway. It seems like a waste of energy/acceleration to accelerate drinking water tanks to 100 km/h and back every five minutes along the ride.

Expanding water fountains in stations seems like a much better investment.
Let’s not forget that there’s now 2-4 hour trips on GO, I think an amenity as simple as water should be provided. Up until COVID started they were lugging around an industrial sized tank full of emergency drinking water on the Niagara train.

How very Canadian. If something goes wrong with a fixture, feature, or amenity, close it off quick and dirty, then do nothing to fix it for a generation. Big fountain or little fountain.
All water fountains have been removed now, they aren’t in the coaches anymore.

Back