News   Jan 21, 2022
 2.5K     9 
News   Jan 21, 2022
 2.3K     6 
News   Jan 21, 2022
 930     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Bordercollie

Member Bio
Reaction score
I wonder if this means a diversion onto the York Subdivision to the Richmond Hill line? Via was doing this yesterday for other not related reasons. Or they are going to do train/bus bridges.
Maybe they are negotiating that now. But it's pretty busy being CN's only path from the Kingston Sub to Brampton.

PL1

Member Bio
Reaction score
Delay on LSE now expected to last until Thursday a.m.
Per Metrolinx Blog,
"Starting Monday morning (Nov. 29), GO Transit will run half-hour service to all stations along the Lakeshore East line using a combination of rail and bus services. However, journey times for customers using stations between Oshawa and Rouge Hill and travelling to Union Station, will face delays of approximately 30 minutes.
Lakeshore East GO trains will continue to run between Union Station and Guildwood GO, and between Pickering and Oshawa GO stations. Shuttle buses will bridge the gap and take customers between Guildwood and Pickering GO stations, where they will be able to connect with a Lakeshore East GO train.
As a result, customers are asked to plan ahead, give themselves extra time and be sure to check the GO Transit website before heading out the door"

Links here:

Northern Light

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Ben Spurr has an unflattering take on GO service to London in this morning's Star.

Article is currently paywalled.

Two excerpts:

1638626126467.png

1638626209926.png

Last edited:

Jonny5

Member Bio
Reaction score
Metrolinx spokesperson Anne Marie Aikins said it’s too early to draw conclusions about the viability of the service.
“It can take many months to analyze results and likely longer given we are still coming out of the pandemic,” she said.

If it takes you more than five minutes to analyse what it means you're an ignorant dunce, but we already knew that about the laughing stock joke that is Metrolinx PR.
Deny, lie, obfuscate, cover-up, anything to keep those pay cheques coming in and stay a micro-celebrity on TV.

allengeorge

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m sure Metrolinx would be more than happy to improve the line and run more trains - just depends on whether this is a priority for the politicians involved (and they’re willing to fork over the money). This is definitely not the minimum viable product for this line.

Also, I’m curious what the connections on the London side are like? Are there good transit connections there?

Urban Sky

Member Bio
Reaction score
If it takes you more than five minutes to analyse what it means you're an ignorant dunce, but we already knew that about the laughing stock joke that is Metrolinx PR.
Deny, lie, obfuscate, cover-up, anything to keep those pay cheques coming in and stay a micro-celebrity on TV.
I’m afraid that if you believe that it takes just a few minutes to predict the outcome of a cost-benefit analysis weighing the operational, economic and commercial advantages and disadvantages of the current slot and other potentially more desirable slots and operating patterns in a post-Covid environment, then there might be very good reasons why those actually qualified for such an analysis and aware of the limitations of their own expertise are earning the big bucks, while nobody in the industry wants to hear your uninformed opinions even for free…

Last edited:

Krypto98

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m afraid that if you believe that it takes just a few minutes to predict the outcome of a cost-benefit analysis weighing the operational, economic and commercial advantages and disadvantages of the current slot and other potentially more desirable slots and operating patterns in a post-Covid environment, then there might be very good reasons why those actually qualified for such an analysis and aware of the limitations of their own expertise are earning the big bucks, while nobody in the industry wants to hear your uninformed opinions even for free…
I just want to add, Places like Stratford, St. Marys aren't large population centers. Yet every Friday I hear of 30+ people getting off at those stops. Again we shouldn't be judging this service after 5 minutes...

crs1026

Member Bio
Reaction score
I’m sure Metrolinx would be more than happy to improve the line and run more trains - just depends on whether this is a priority for the politicians involved (and they’re willing to fork over the money). This is definitely not the minimum viable product for this line.

Also, I’m curious what the connections on the London side are like? Are there good transit connections there?

London's rail station is right downtown, which is where it should be in some ways, but not necessarily helpful for an early departure/late return scenario. It is not directly on a transit hub, although there are many routes passing within the general area.... meaning a moderate sidewalk schlep with baggage, although in fairness not necessarily any worse than the schlep to rapid transit in Toronto, Montreal, or Ottawa.

The best thing that can be said for it is, it's surrounded by lots of parking lots. (..... say no more.....).

The significant thing for me that detractors are missing is that ML began its service without the benefit of any of the usual business case analysis. Not taking a position for or against ML, but they have stuck to that methodology up to now. That tells me that the new service originated at a political level without (or perhaps even against) proper due diligence and sage input from ML. No wonder the service is being criticised.

If there ever were a case for making the political-bureaucracy process more transparent and accountable, this is it. Ford has his vanity subway a-building in Etobicoke....and now we have the PC's running an unmarketable vanity train to London.

As for VIA - 0nce ML secured its slot, VIA had little option to find its own slot that was a) operationally doable and b) not a total redundancy or revenue-splitter with ML.... especially given that VIA has to charge a higher fare. They have done the best they can.

The solution is clearly to upgrade the line, and solve once and for all the difficult issues that affect CN from Georgetown to Bramalea. Again, I'm not supporting or blaming CN, except to note that a) they had a 2009ish agreement with GO that they may have relied upon as GO's end game.... and b) they have seen a succession of grandiose and not necessarily doable subsequent proposals, which have shifted repeatedly as Ministers and Premiers came and went. If I were in their shoes, I would be hunkering down and not believing a thing ML or QP are telling them.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2021-12-04 at 12.58.07 PM.png

Last edited:

E•MO•TION

Member Bio
Reaction score
If 32 people are willing to take an option that is slower than all other options, that says quite a bit about future possibilities.
32 people travelling London to Toronto or 32 people making intermediate journeys on a service comparable to VIA in travel time?