News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 456     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1K     1 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

This is almost certainly an oversight on their part and not a confirmation of any cut backs, but it says here:
The transit agency announced today (Aug. 12) that through the GO Expansion program, 15-minute, two-way, all-day electrified GO train service will extend past Aurora GO Station to Bradford GO in the future. Barrie South and Allandale Waterfront will see 30-minute two-way, all-day GO service as part of GO Expansion.
I guess the section beyond Bradford will no longer be electrified?

^I think this is a genuine enhancement to the plan, likely the result of development proposals for Newmarket and Bradford which would justify the headways for the longer distance..

The frequency restriction on diesel trains in the Davenport Diamond EA approval won't support 30-minute diesel service, so I do think we will see electrification all the way to Barrie. Makes no sense to invest that much money in wires to Bradford only to run half the trains on diesel to get them to Barrie.

(Stepping back to await the invevitable predictions about battery/dual mode operation beyond Bradford)

- Paul

so people are mistaking 2 different things here.
the entirety of the Barrie line is still going to be electrified
this is a service level increase from the full business case in 2018

Basically Newmarket, Gwillimbury, and bradford are getting 15-minute service all day instead of 30 minute service
This is actually a kinda significant change
This close to oncorr contract closing must mean that every bidder says this is possible

heres AM peak:
1628804627789.png

offpeak:
1628804702084.png

You have to be really careful with this though, first impressions are everything to the casual person.

You dont know how many arguments ive had with a casual Torontonian how ATC will fix the slow subway system, or that VIA HFR will fix the ontime performance of VIA. Theyve written it off permenently.

Its hard to rechange initial perceptions.

I think for any of these new services where slow track still has yet to be fixed, they need to run express through the 905, to compensate. Run the London GO with limited stops downtown to make up lost time.

Same should be with Niagara. It should stop at West Harbour, Aldershot and then express to Union.

Not only is there the risk of underrepresenting what service could be achieved with regional rail, there is also the simple fact that an abysmally slow service between Kitchener and London will be an obvious money pit. Hardly anyone will be attracted to the new service, leading to embarrassingly low ridership, which will create the illusion that there's no demand for rail in Southwestern Ontario. The operating cost per trip will also be exceedingly high, due to the large number of vehicle-hours and person-hours needed.

This seems like an exact rehash of the the situation around the old Niagara Weekday service, which only filled 18 seats out of 1825, thanks to ridiculously inconvenient schedule (1 departure per day from Niagara Falls, at 5:19 AM), and insanely long travel time. It was so slow that even GO's own route 12 local bus service was faster between Niagara Falls station and Union. And the train was so slow that even if you were standing at St Catharines station while the train is in front of you, it was faster to let it leave, walk 15 minutes to Downtown St Catharines and take the Megabus departure at around 6AM (don't remember exactly what minute).

If they're training operators right now, it's a sign that they will run service on the current horrendous tracks, rather than waiting until they are upgraded to the point where a passenger rail service could be even remotely successful.

so people are mistaking 2 different things here.
the entirety of the Barrie line is still going to be electrified
this is a service level increase from the full business case in 2018

Basically Newmarket, Gwillimbury, and bradford are getting 15-minute service all day instead of 30 minute service
This is actually a kinda significant change
This close to oncorr contract closing must mean that every bidder says this is possible

heres AM peak:
View attachment 341046
offpeak:
View attachment 341047
^I think this is a genuine enhancement to the plan, likely the result of development proposals for Newmarket and Bradford which would justify the headways for the longer distance..

The frequency restriction on diesel trains in the Davenport Diamond EA approval won't support 30-minute diesel service, so I do think we will see electrification all the way to Barrie. Makes no sense to invest that much money in wires to Bradford only to run half the trains on diesel to get them to Barrie.

(Stepping back to await the invevitable predictions about battery/dual mode operation beyond Bradford)

- Paul
Ye as I said I'm probably reading between the lines a bit too much, but the way its written does at least imply electrification ending at Bradford, but again, most likely an oversight.

If they're training operators right now, it's a sign that they will run service on the current horrendous tracks, rather than waiting until they are upgraded to the point where a passenger rail service could be even remotely successful.

One does wonder if this is a sly way of getting a few votes for the Tories.

The media is suggesting the election call is about to happen. The federal Minister's weak promises to "study" better VIA service will look even weaker when GO trains trains start running orientation runs.

The GO service plan doesn't need to be all that good to make the point to the voter - a train on the tracks today beats a promise of more trains maybe, some day.

- Paul

One does wonder if this is a sly way of getting a few votes for the Tories.

The media is suggesting the election call is about to happen. The federal Minister's weak promises to "study" better VIA service will look even weaker when GO trains trains start running orientation runs.

The GO service plan doesn't need to be all that good to make the point to the voter - a train on the tracks today beats a promise of more trains maybe, some day.

- Paul
If the Ontario PCs and Federal Conservatives are smart they will announce London GO service together at one of the stations in a swing riding. Thereby Outflanking the Liberals who announced exactly what you just described regarding VIA. Have service start just before the election.

If the Ontario PCs and Federal Conservatives are smart they will announce London GO service together at one of the stations in a swing riding. Thereby Outflanking the Liberals who announced exactly what you just described regarding VIA. Have service start just before the election.
Like the promise by Doug Ford before the last provincial election to extend GO service to Niagara Falls. One round trip per day. Next to useless, but promise fulfilled.

Realistically what would service look like? Not running weekend service would be stupid as the majority of users would be off pealed travellers. Friday nights would be very popular for getting to Stratford and London.
It should be limited stop for sure

Probably London>Stratford>Kitchener>Guelph>Mount Pleasant>Bramalea>Mount Dennis>Union

There's been no mention of this so far, but one thing that does occur to me about the Milton funding announcement is that the open ended nature of it suggests this might be something that could be used to move toward a Cambridge extension as well as just all day on the existing corridor.

Hilariously, Cambridge didn't even have service on that reddit fantasy map posted last week that showed trains to Goderich, Orangeville, and Collingwood...

It should be limited stop for sure

Probably London>Stratford>Kitchener>Guelph>Mount Pleasant>Bramalea>Mount Dennis>Union
I'd add St Mary's in there. Is small but the community is very vocal and organized for more train service. If they get GO then it'll become a very popular, quaint, hip village for weekend escapes.

Mount Dennis will be very popular too. As long as there's at least one stop with UP Express that isn't Union the service will be well used heading to the airport.

I imagine the London GO service is envisioned as a weekend GO tourism service, which GO has been getting very successful at lately. Lots of people making trips to Stratford, London, Kitchener, etc. I'm sure.

Back