News   Apr 18, 2024
 631     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 5.5K     1 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 2.3K     4 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

News from Metrolinx on the new Kennedy platform...
"The new platform is shorter in length than the current platform and door restrictions will be in place for trains that have more than six coaches."

I'm not too up-to-date on this. Is this a temporary platform? Surely, they didn't just build a platform not compatible with their monster trains?

It will; its got a good sized tower boom of its own in DT Hamilton.
When the central railyard relocates (and it will); Hamilton's waterfront will also see a boom.
I've never considered that before, but indeed, that would totally open-up a central part of Hamilton for very desirable development options.

"The new platform is shorter in length than the current platform and door restrictions will be in place for trains that have more than six coaches."

I'm not too up-to-date on this. Is this a temporary platform? Surely, they didn't just build a platform not compatible with their monster trains?
It's permanent, but the other 6 cars length is currently occupated by the SRT guideway. Once the Scarborough Subway extension opens, they will construct the rest of the platform.

I believe once the SRT is demolished they will lengthen it.

That being said, RER trains are supposed to be shorter, so they could make the one platform for the monster bilevels and both platforms for RER, which would make sense since the bilevels would be for long haul service only and infrequent.

The problem with Hamilton is that West Harbour is too far from the core, and it's too difficult to use Hamilton GO given CPs famous issues with GO.

Hamilton's downtown employment levels are slowly increasing, but they are experiencing a boom in apartment construction. Regional rail needs employment increases to work however and that isn't happening at a rate to make it justifiable.

I wonder if CN plans to relocate their Hamilton yard when they build their new facility in Milton.

The problem is that West Harbour is a joke that isn't even being used by current GO service. Doesn't matter where it is when there are no trains.

Its laughable that a station that has been around for 4 years with the purpose of bringing all day trains to Hamilton still doesn't have any usable service.

The problem is that West Harbour is a joke that isn't even being used by current GO service. Doesn't matter where it is when there are no trains.

Its laughable that a station that has been around for 4 years with the purpose of bringing all day trains to Hamilton still doesn't have any usable service.
That third track everyone was talking about is done, no? Shouldn't be long now *starts holding breathe*

That third track everyone was talking about is done, no? Shouldn't be long now *starts holding breathe*
My bet was that improved service was originally planned for the September schedules pre-covid, and is now delayed.

As ridership expands I fully expect at least hourly all day service to West Harbour.

My bet was that improved service was originally planned for the September schedules pre-covid, and is now delayed.

As ridership expands I fully expect at least hourly all day service to West Harbour.

Reportedly ML signalled its readiness to start the West Harbour service with the current service adjustments, but was told to not add any new service for now, just work on bringing back service that had been cut during the lockdown.

I can see why the political level might not want to muddy the waters by celebrating expansion while business is down and other routes remain cut back.....but letting expensive new infrastructure sit idle until its grand opening photo op has the right spin is a bit frustrating.

In general, transit agencies in the GTA are feeling their way with ridership in this new normal. ML is no different - it’s a case of guess where to restore service, count for a few months, and adjust where ridership hasn’t returned.

- Paul

Reportedly ML signalled its readiness to start the West Harbour service with the current service adjustments, but was told to not add any new service for now, just work on bringing back service that had been cut during the lockdown.

- Paul

The current plan is to try again with the Minister for the end of October.

Dan

I have heard a lot of people, even members of government bring this up, so I want to address this. The CN yard on Stuart St. is not going anywhere. The yard is used to serve Hamilton's massive industrial sector and port, and simply put, there is no place to move the operations currently located there. There isn't enough room anywhere nearby. To move this yard would mean longer times and greater expense for CN to serve Hamilton's north end as well as Stoney Creek. This would have the effect of deteriorating transport options of Hamilton industries putting employment and the local economy at risk. The facility in Milton, often cited as a location where CN could move their operations in Hamilton, deals with an entirely different segment of CN's operation, that being intermodal. That facility is being built to take the pressure off of CN's Brampton Intermodal Terminal and has no impact on CN's carload operations in the Hamilton, Burlington and Oakville areas. In recent years, traffic to the port and industrial areas has increased significantly, so plans of moving the yard are effectively a non starter.

I don't have any contacts on the rail side; except those I talk to here through UT.

I do have contacts on the government side.

I know discussions have been held in the past w/CN on the possibility of moving the yard, possibly with some gov't largesse involved.

I'm under the impression that other options were also mooted; including shrinking/re-aligning portions of the yard to maximize opportunities.

From what I understand, the yard is still decently busy, but nowhere near its heyday.

There are several tracks removed. (10, I think?).

Not enough to create meaningful development parcels, but enough (if consolidated, and pushed around) to grow the park space and create, maybe, 2 new development parcels off towards Bay street.

This is the last news article I saw on the subject.

It reflects my understanding of behind-the-scenes talks.

I can see why the political level might not want to muddy the waters by celebrating expansion while business is down and other routes remain cut back.....but letting expensive new infrastructure sit idle until its grand opening photo op has the right spin is a bit frustrating.

In general, transit agencies in the GTA are feeling their way with ridership in this new normal. ML is no different - it’s a case of guess where to restore service, count for a few months, and adjust where ridership hasn’t returned.

- Paul

I assume the issue of trains needing to back into West Harbour will continue for the foreseeable future? It will only be resolved when the track is extended all the way to Confederation? I can't recall the timing.

I assume the issue of trains needing to back into West Harbour will continue for the foreseeable future? It will only be resolved when the track is extended all the way to Confederation? I can't recall the timing.
Confederate should be ready at some point next year for trains, according to MX's website. I hope the through tracks at WH will be worked on for the same time.

I dunno, this is Metrolinx we are talking about.... that would make too much sense!
It not Metrolinx thing, but a CN one. Other than Metrolinx is paying for it, they can't force CN to fast track their project over CN ones. How long has it been since work started on that 3rd track to the east??

If this was a Metrolinx corridor, tracks would be in place to WH long ago. Right now, track work taking place to the Lewis Yard area. Based on what I can seen from the new station to WH, it shouldn't take more than 6-9 months to build the new track for that area, but that is based on straight forward work. What I don't know, will it be 3 tracks or 2 tracks for the WH area??? Can support 3 tracks that I can see. Now if the new station was on the south side, it would have a less impact on CN from WH to the Lewis Yard area and maybe to a few station to the south.

As it stands from my point of view, GO has to switch twice from one side to the other side from Aldershot to the new station and 3 counting Lewis Yard.

Its acc heartbreaking to see lakeshore west still have the hamilton problem, and that we’re only going to get just 60 minutes 2WAD in the future. The same service that we get at the farthest point of brampton and markham, will be the same exact service we’re getting with one of the most important and populous cities in the whole gta. I wonder if CN even thinks about commuters at all

Back