News   Apr 24, 2024
 961     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 623     0 

GO Transit: Service thread (including extensions)

Thank you for the explanations, I understand that sometimes the lessor of many evils is what needs to be done. Metrolinx still looks like it likes to dig hole just to fill them up again, and spend millions to do each. ;)

Metrolinx really has become the king of burning money. And believe me, I can point out tons and tons of different methods that they do, from multi-million dollar contracts to little things that add up to maybe a couple of bucks each time.

For the record, I suspect that the construction and eventual demolition of the platform will total a half-million dollars, if that. As far as wasteful projects from Metrolinx go I would suggest that its money well spent, even if they have to tear it out in a year or two.

Another example might be what may need to be done at Oshawa. VIA just built their platform bridge a few years ago, now Metrolinx may have to re-build it to extend the tracks for the Bowmanville extension.

The additional facilities that VIA built at Oshawa several years back will not preclude in any way the extension of GO's own tracks.

Dan

^ I would have thought the same thing Dan, but did you see the latest Initial BCA for the Bowmanville Extension? I don't have it in front of me but I'm sure I read that part of the structure for the island platform would have to be demolished and repositioned. I can find the reference tonight which will also check my memory.

^ I would have thought the same thing Dan, but did you see the latest Initial BCA for the Bowmanville Extension? I don't have it in front of me but I'm sure I read that part of the structure for the island platform would have to be demolished and repositioned. I can find the reference tonight which will also check my memory.
I seem to recall reading something similar.

I know, which surprised me to read it. Especially when the previous plan for the work was to move the GO platforms back west a couple of hundred feet to allow them to slew the tracks slightly to the south to avoid the structure - and it was under this pretense that they built everything.

So yeah - maybe yet another case of the consultants not doing their homework? It's not like it's never happened before (*cough* Union trainshed)...

Dan

I seem to recall reading something similar.
If I remember from the last time I went through Oshawa... there's plenty of space to place a pair of tracks between the station building and the existing bridge structure. Between them right now are only pavement and a temporary-looking canopy.

The bridge can be extended over this space to a new stair/elevator structure attached to the existing station building.

What WILL have to change is the GO platforms. The existing north track is roughly in line with where a south track would need to be to pass through the space between the station and the existing bridge. A new north track would have to be placed next to it, in the area now occupied by the ditch and fence separating the tracks from the bus loop. The existing south GO track would remain a stub track.

So the existing GO platorm and the north VIA platform would become a new island platform, and there would be a new GO platform next to the station building.

Going by Bathurst North Yard was eerie seeing no GO trains that are normal store there for weekday on Tuesday. Even Union Station was real empty and look like a couple trains being store there. All the seat were removed and pile up and tape off by the elevators. Noticed platforms have been extended east under the new park structure on the east side of the station. The movement to have 2 trains on the same track at the same time going in opposite direction could be coming once the east concourse this year with luck

As for Oshawa, I found it wear that there wasn't a walkway bridge from the station to the platforms and GO moving the platforms under the walkway. I stand to be corrected, but I felt the the current VIA platform and elevator could be a wide platform with a new GO platform on the north side for the south GO track and a walk up platform for the north track. It could require shifting the GO tracks north to line up with the new arrangement platforms.

With the movement to use CP tracks to the close GM plant now, having a platform as noted wouldn't work.

I noticed that Vaughan has a secondary plan for a future Concord GO station on the Barrie Line at Hwy-7.

Is a station there ear-marked for funding? Or are those more distant future plans?

I noticed that Vaughan has a secondary plan for a future Concord GO station on the Barrie Line at Hwy-7.

Is a station there ear-marked for funding? Or are those more distant future plans?
Probably far more distant. Idk why they'd want a go station there yet when they just got a brand spanking new subway line.

Probably far more distant. Idk why they'd want a go station there yet when they just got a brand spanking new subway line.
Frankly it serves a different area and interchanges with the Highway 7 BRT fairly well.

Vaughan has approved a bunch of residential density around the future station as well, with the first condo in site plan approval right now.

The reason I think Metrolinx isn't too enthusiastic about the station is that there is essentially 0 density there today, it would be solely a transfer station right now. They are probably waiting for some residential density to get built and ridership on the BRT to increase before they pull the trigger.

Frankly it serves a different area and interchanges with the Highway 7 BRT fairly well.

Vaughan has approved a bunch of residential density around the future station as well, with the first condo in site plan approval right now.

The reason I think Metrolinx isn't too enthusiastic about the station is that there is essentially 0 density there today, it would be solely a transfer station right now. They are probably waiting for some residential density to get built and ridership on the BRT to increase before they pull the trigger.
A chicken and egg problem. Remember, there was 0 density at VMC too; look at it now.

A chicken and egg problem. Remember, there was 0 density at VMC too; look at it now.
The City of Vaughan has proven to be very supportive of development. However, there is a strong distinction between a TTC subway line and a YRT/VIVA BRT line or even a GO station. Until the Barrie line is electrified and we see 15 minute service to Aurora or YRT gets the stick out their ass, makes fares reasonable, implements fare integration with the TTC, and significantly improves the amount of service (a bus every 2-4 minutes on VIVA orange), you're not going to see development in this area over VMC. It's best to wait until RER is running before they build the station. Keep land provisions obviously, but building a station there wouldn't be the most effective use of funds atm.

I don't think the lack of a station will prohibit development necessarily. The housing shortage being what it is, build it and they will come. The residents will just be more auto-dependent than otherwise with a station.

Barrie is the safest bet outside of Lakeshore Lines for electrification and RER upgrades. I suppose it really is just about how and where Metrolinx wants to prioritize funding.

I don't think the lack of a station will prohibit development necessarily. The housing shortage being what it is, build it and they will come. The residents will just be more auto-dependent than otherwise with a station.

Barrie is the safest bet outside of Lakeshore Lines for electrification and RER upgrades. I suppose it really is just about how and where Metrolinx wants to prioritize funding.
Even then, VMC should be prioritized. The Spadina subway has plenty of capacity. V/C ratios are decreasing sharply on lines like Barrie. It'll take a decade to fully develop VMC anyways, so we've got plenty of time. On top of this, there are plenty of other areas in the region (Scarborough Centre, North York Centre, Sheppard, Mississauga City Centre, Richmond Hill Centre, Downtown Toronto, Midtown Toronto, etc) that are also rapidly developing (some faster than others). It's best to wait for this one.

It's worth remembering the history here. ML looked at 52ish station locations in 2016 (report here) and at its June 2016 Board meeting, proposed 12 for further study. The report on the 12 was presented to the Board in March of 2018 - report here... by which time Del Duca had already put his finger on the scales on behalf of Kirby.

The 2016 analysis dismissed Concord altogether, but tipped its hat towards Vaughan's urban plans.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 2.50.19 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-03-30 at 2.50.55 PM.png

Back