News   Apr 15, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.1K     5 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 661     0 

GO Transit Midtown Corridor

Not something I would be against. Keep the GO brand but you could differentiate the different types of services provided. Here's an example:

GO Regional Express Rail: All-day 15 min electrified service.

GO Intercity: The longer distance services. Ex. Union to Niagara, Union to London.

GO Home: The remaining peak-only services.
It's really confusing. Just call it "express" and "local" service, with "intercity" or "regional" for longer services.

RER is both. GO will run a mix of local and express trains. It seems you argument is either GO is incapable of running the mixed service, or that we should have another brand of service to separate local and express. Do we really need a different livery and service provider to differentiate local and express, or can GO just run it all?

We don't need another brand or livery. We do need to better differentiate between the local and express service. GO already does it for some lines, some of the time, but they don't do much in the way of advertising them as such.

Not something I would be against. Keep the GO brand but you could differentiate the different types of services provided. Here's an example:

GO Regional Express Rail: All-day 15 min electrified service.

GO Intercity: The longer distance services. Ex. Union to Niagara, Union to London.

GO Home: The remaining peak-only services.

It's really confusing. Just call it "express" and "local" service, with "intercity" or "regional" for longer services.
Both ideas work, but it has to be advertised.

From link...

Having a GO station at Keele Street and Junction Street, in the West Toronto Junction, would have a great source of passengers for the GO Midtown. Just south, they are plans to build a mid-rise.

Mid-Rise to Replace Gas Station in The Junction

46919-139960.jpeg

46919-139963.jpg

In the 1950's, 1960's, they were "thinking" about a "Crosstown Expressway". It's the 2020's, time to plan for a GO Midtown.

ed6e4ad6dd5c32b2ef320742d28c76ba

3dfe20ebbe3783b3f2546cdb1141b182

5629fd0273a727952996a51980553d1f

af6dce2d174459656a53dc60fc4603ef

You can barely make out the grey lines of the railways. From link.
But actually, I would not be surprised if Lakeshore GO line/lines become overwhelmed with demand 10 years after EMU's and rapid frequency is rolled out.

But actually, I would not be surprised if Lakeshore GO line/lines become overwhelmed with demand 10 years after EMU's and rapid frequency is rolled out.
GO has a peak capacity of over 20,000 pphd, if we're going by the standard of 1800-person trains at 5 minute frequencies (which is a huge underestimate). I'm wouldn't be concerned.

We don't need another brand or livery. We do need to better differentiate between the local and express service. GO already does it for some lines, some of the time, but they don't do much in the way of advertising them as such.

Both ideas work, but it has to be advertised.
Does Reece read this chat?

I had a speculation/question for this thread, but first I have to say.. Those highway maps are absolutely vomitous. I don't know that I've ever seen the detailed versions before.

Knowing that the the RER network isn't planning on using the the Richmond Hill line, would it be possible for the midtown corridor to allow for RER expansion on that line? I know a lot of the line travels through the Don valley so it's not currently considered viable for frequent service. There is a missing link at the DVP that would need some kind of bridge. I have no idea what the economics or viability of doing this is, but it seems like maximizing the use of current corridors should be a priority when Metrolinx eventually takes control of the corridor.

Screen Shot 2022-01-31 at 4.41.51 PM.png

I had a speculation/question for this thread, but first I have to say.. Those highway maps are absolutely vomitous. I don't know that I've ever seen the detailed versions before.

Knowing that the the RER network isn't planning on using the the Richmond Hill line, would it be possible for the midtown corridor to allow for RER expansion on that line? I know a lot of the line travels through the Don valley so it's not currently considered viable for frequent service. There is a missing link at the DVP that would need some kind of bridge. I have no idea what the economics or viability of doing this is, but it seems like maximizing the use of current corridors should be a priority when Metrolinx eventually takes control of the corridor.

View attachment 377776
They definitely could, and this could either be done via the Don Mills Park or the DVP Sub (the former would be better but prone to NIMBYism). Unfortunately the question really comes down to acquiring the Midtown Corridor, we solve that question first then we can discuss RH Line expasnsion.

The reason the CP midtown, CN Richmond Hill line (north of Doncaster Diamond), and Kitchener Line west of Bramalea typically don't feature in RER plans (and probably a factor in there not being a Bolton Line yet) is that these lines are the lines most of the freight is running on. If CN abandoned the line north of Doncaster (shipping everything via Chicago perhaps), or CP bypassed Toronto to the north, then the RER plan would likely have two more lines on it.

The reason the CP midtown, CN Richmond Hill line (north of Doncaster Diamond), and Kitchener Line west of Bramalea typically don't feature in RER plans (and probably a factor in there not being a Bolton Line yet) is that these lines are the lines most of the freight is running on. If CN abandoned the line north of Doncaster (shipping everything via Chicago perhaps), or CP bypassed Toronto to the north, then the RER plan would likely have two more lines on it.
But we could still utilize the traffic between union and Langstaff.

Or expend the corridor to support another track dedicated for GO transit between Langstaff and Gormely.

Not going to happen.

Back