News   Apr 24, 2024
 424     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 593     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 499     0 

GO Transit Midtown Corridor

Canada isn't Europe. CN and CP are publicly traded companies who legally must consider the interests of their mostly American shareholders, and their track is their private property.

Comparing Canada & Europe in terms of freight is disingenuous at best, laughable at worse. Canada handles more tonnage of freight every year than Germany, France, Italy, UK and Spain..................combined!

In other words, it's easy for European transit systems to negotiate around freight lines because, relative to us, they are small and far less frequent and important to the economy. What ever we make think of CN/CP taking up rail corridors instead of allowing it for passenger rail is one thing but this idea that "Europe does it so why can't we?" is not a notion based upon reality.

Comparing Canada & Europe in terms of freight is disingenuous at best, laughable at worse. Canada handles more tonnage of freight every year than Germany, France, Italy, UK and Spain..................combined!

In other words, it's easy for European transit systems to negotiate around freight lines because, relative to us, they are small and far less frequent and important to the economy. What ever we make think of CN/CP taking up rail corridors instead of allowing it for passenger rail is one thing but this idea that "Europe does it so why can't we?" is not a notion based upon reality.
We are different but less different than often suggested. Europe's rail freight is more valuable because they tend to use it for higher value goods.

I'm looking at the ATCS and there is only 2 trains on the line right now between Milton and Toronto Yard.v

We are different but less different than often suggested. Europe's rail freight is more valuable because they tend to use it for higher value goods.
I also don't think comparing ourselves to Europe is the worst. Germany isn't altogether that different when it comes to density of cities when we're comparing to the GTA or Montreal.

There are other former passenger stations along the midtown corridor, like the North Toronto Station (Yonge Street near the Summerhill Station on Line 1), that could get resurrected with a GO Midtown train.

There was a Leaside Station in use until 1982, for example.

CPR_Leaside_station_1947.jpg

Leaside_CPR_Station_r-3374.jpg

From link.

The Leaside Station in 2002. Could it be reused again as a GO Station?
LeasideCPRCurrent-1024x527.jpg

LeasideCPRMap1924-1024x676.jpg
From link.

Wonder if they could adjust the location of the Thorncliffe Station on the Ontario Line for a future connection with the Leaside GO Station on the GO Midtown Line?
Thorncliffe-Park-Alignment-Update.jpg
From link.

Last edited:
There are other former passenger stations along the midtown corridor, like the North Toronto Station (Yonge Street near the Summerhill Station on Line 1), that could get resurrected with a GO Midtown train.

From link.

From link.

Wonder if they could adjust the location of the Thorncliffe Station on the Ontario Line for a future connection with the Leaside GO Station on the GO Midtown Line?
From link.

I think the location of Thorncliffe is better where it is now for accessing an area with ... places and stuff? Man my brain no workie right now. You know what I mean, its a good location for people and stuff.

Wow I need a coffee.

Anyways, they could always build another station near the MSF, with a bridge to a Midtown GO station etc, but only when and if that corridor becomes used.

I think the location of Thorncliffe is better where it is now for accessing an area with ... places and stuff? Man my brain no workie right now. You know what I mean, its a good location for people and stuff.

Wow I need a coffee.

Anyways, they could always build another station near the MSF, with a bridge to a Midtown GO station etc, but only when and if that corridor becomes used.
Compare with the l-o-n-g walks from most of Pearson Airport's airline gates to get to customs, luggage pickup, and connecting with the UPX train to downtown. The connection between the current location for Thorncliffe Park Station and the old CPR Leaside Station is quiet leisurely walk.

From link.

From link.

From link.
A better connection would be at Don Mills. Either have a stop a few hundred meters north of the "Science Centre" station directly on top of the Midtown Corridor platform or make people transfer by walking along Don Mills.

A better connection would be at Don Mills. Either have a stop a few hundred meters north of the "Science Centre" station directly on top of the Midtown Corridor platform or make people transfer by walking along Don Mills.

Why not TWO GO Train Stations for the GO Midtown Corridor to serve the Ontario Line? One at Thorncliffe Park/Leaside CPR Stations and the other at Science Centre/Don Mills Stations. The Ontario Line will still have a "local" station at Flemingdon Park.

Why not TWO GO Train Stations for the GO Midtown Corridor to serve the Ontario Line? One at Thorncliffe Park/Leaside CPR Stations and the other at Science Centre/Don Mills Stations. The Ontario Line will still have a "local" station at Flemingdon Park.
Only issue with Thorncliffe park is the geometry of any link.

If you’re keeping the current station where it is, the a connection has to snake its way across the train yard

If you’re moving the tracks, then there’s less ridership cause the GO station is out of the way ( unless there’s some TOD to replace the industrial park)

The whole point of running GO along midtown is for a higher speed, fewer stops "express" service - having stations this close by would defeat the purpose.

I tend to think having another OL stop as interchange would be better - maybe a T transfer to maximize the northeward coverage of the OL station - area which is prime for intensification.

AoD

I think the hydro people would have something to say about a bridge through their tower line connecting Thorncliffe to Leaside. :)

Back