News   Jul 09, 2024
 622     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 571     0 

GO Transit Midtown Corridor

I'm not sure I see a strong case for HFR to go to Pearson. Air passengers from Montreal and Ottawa are not likely to use it, so that leaves the good folk in Peterborough. On the other hand the legacy passengers along the lakeshore between Kingston and Scarborough will want to get to Pearson. Having Kitchener services stop there makes sense but I think passengers coming from the east are likely to find transferring to GO at Union a better option than waiting for a VIA connection. And VIA seems more interested in beefing up the southern route and leaving Kitchener and Guelph to Ontario.

There's a significant business population base in the Kitchener-Waterloo region. HSR would make YYZ more accessible to business travelers going to/from that region. Sure Waterloo already has an international airport, but that's separate discussion.

Is there an issue with having a stop at Don Mills and Eglinton area? This could connect to Eglinton LRT and as well as Ontario Line?

Either east of Leslie and Eglinton or Don Mills and just north of Wynford Dr.

Thoughts on this.

Wouldn't this be more effective and deter crowding on the Yonge Line?

Hopefully by then Ontario Line North and West Extension will be completed as well as EG LRT Airport and East Extension will be completed as well.

I see Don Mills and Eglinton the ideal hub for the Go Transit Midtown.

Is there an issue with having a stop at Don Mills and Eglinton area? This could connect to Eglinton LRT and as well as Ontario Line?

Thoughts on this.

Hopefully by then Ontario Line North and West Extension will be completed as well as EG LRT Airport and East Extension will be completed as well.

FWIW The original 1992 study proposed stations at Eglinton (neither a Crosstown line or a Relief line were in the plans at the time) and at Sheppard (a Sheppard subway was assumed).

- Paul

Paris has a number of stations with each servicing various parts of France or other countries. Same for London UK as well a number of other cities.

What use to be downtown for businesses is shifting to other parts of the waterfront and the centre that some buildings are becoming residential.

The problem with Summerhill is CP since it on its mainline. If I remember correctly without digging of the track layout photos I shot years ago, there are 4 tracks for the station plus CP Main Line. There are a few pinch point to make the corridor 4 tracks wide, but can be fix with $$.

Is CP the better route over CN?? Regardless of either RR, you need a new ROW to have a pure 300-350km line that will cost big $$ and take a few decades to build it, but it will run on existing lines at various locations like the rest of the world does.
Slowly, many of the industries along the CP line are moving out of town. Along with many of the freight trains that would service them.

There's a significant business population base in the Kitchener-Waterloo region. HSR would make YYZ more accessible to business travelers going to/from that region. Sure Waterloo already has an international airport, but that's separate discussion.

The problem with adding more stations is that eventually you end up slowing the line down and making it no longer high speed. It may go fast, but the time savings would not be there. If GO RER is goingto be going to the Pearson area, there is no need for an HSR station too.

I'm not sure I see a strong case for HFR to go to Pearson. Air passengers from Montreal and Ottawa are not likely to use it, so that leaves the good folk in Peterborough. On the other hand the legacy passengers along the lakeshore between Kingston and Scarborough will want to get to Pearson. Having Kitchener services stop there makes sense but I think passengers coming from the east are likely to find transferring to GO at Union a better option than waiting for a VIA connection. And VIA seems more interested in beefing up the southern route and leaving Kitchener and Guelph to Ontario.
Having the trains stop at the airport to scoop up those passengers using flights is just one reason to route the trains there.

The other is that it's a convenient place to have a suburban stop. It already has established transit networks going to it, making it (relatively) easy for people to get there without a car.

Dan

Slowly, many of the industries along the CP line are moving out of town. Along with many of the freight trains that would service them.
Enroute customers served directly by rail has been declining for years and I'm not sure the few that are left, certainly inside the city, are significant in numbers. What is significant for CP is the need to traverse the city. All of their mainline traffic, destined for or originating in Toronto or not, enters and leaves to/from the west, east and north. Whether that could be accomplished by a northern bypass along the CN York sub remains to be seen. To me the best way to do that would be to create something akin to the TTR. Sorting out factors such as title, access/usage, compensation, would be tricky but I assume they had to go through a similar process to form the TTR.

But your statement raises an interesting legal point. If I'm a customer that is considered rail-dependent or even rail-preferred, would any increased business costs, costs to relocate, be included in any expropriation settlement? They would not be expropriating me, but my means to be profitable.

Having the trains stop at the airport to scoop up those passengers using flights is just one reason to route the trains there.

The other is that it's a convenient place to have a suburban stop. It already has established transit networks going to it, making it (relatively) easy for people to get there without a car.

Dan
Someone going between Toronto and anywhere else from that area most likely will fly. I am not apposed for a station there when the Pearson Hub is built, but I cannot see a draw.

Enroute customers served directly by rail has been declining for years and I'm not sure the few that are left, certainly inside the city, are significant in numbers. What is significant for CP is the need to traverse the city. All of their mainline traffic, destined for or originating in Toronto or not, enters and leaves to/from the west, east and north. Whether that could be accomplished by a northern bypass along the CN York sub remains to be seen. To me the best way to do that would be to create something akin to the TTR. Sorting out factors such as title, access/usage, compensation, would be tricky but I assume they had to go through a similar process to form the TTR.

But your statement raises an interesting legal point. If I'm a customer that is considered rail-dependent or even rail-preferred, would any increased business costs, costs to relocate, be included in any expropriation settlement? They would not be expropriating me, but my means to be profitable.
Would you move Agincourt yard? If you have northern bypass how do you get to Agincourt?

Would you move Agincourt yard? If you have northern bypass how do you get to Agincourt?
Who knows. I don't know if it would be an operational imperative since it isn't that far from CN and where it crosses both the CP Havelock and Belleville subs. I have heard various CP CEOs have mused about closing/moving it - somewhere. With the hump yard and some of the maintenance facilities removed, it's a shell of what it used to be.

Thoughts on this.

Union has, and will likely long have, the best regional connectivity.

Someone going between Toronto and anywhere else from that area most likely will fly. I am not apposed for a station there when the Pearson Hub is built, but I cannot see a draw.
What are you trying to say exactly?

The point of a station at Pearson is that anyone in the west end of the City of Toronto - or Mississauga, or Brampton - is likely to have a far easier time getting to Pearson than to Union Station. This is why VIA still has stops in places like Oakville and Guildwood and Oshawa.

Dan

What are you trying to say exactly?

The point of a station at Pearson is that anyone in the west end of the City of Toronto - or Mississauga, or Brampton - is likely to have a far easier time getting to Pearson than to Union Station. This is why VIA still has stops in places like Oakville and Guildwood and Oshawa.

Dan
I was referring to the development of the Pickering airport.

I was referring to the development of the Pickering airport.
That's fine.....but the point still stands. A suburban station on the east side of the City will be beneficial for many, many potential passengers.

Whether it happens at a potential future airport or somewhere closer, it just needs to have good access and connectivity.

Dan

Back