News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 390     0 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Practically speaking this would be useless; maybe just a distinction between electric (golden-yellow stripe) and diesel services would do.
Even that would be problematic, considering that for the first little while all they plan to do is buy electric locos to use with the current roster of cars.

Dan

2 GO Transit cars waiting for refurbishment at Thunder Bay, one (decommisioned) cab car and one regular car. (not my pic)
1690864806583.png

Last edited:
2 GO Transit cars waiting for refurbishment at Thunder Bay, one (decommisioned) cab car and one regular car. (not my pic)
View attachment 496678
I have been told the cab car in the photo is 249.

Afaik that car was delivered to Thunder Bay in late 2021, and yet it seems as though they have done zero work on it. Meanwhile other cars that arrived later seemed to have been stripped down already (247 and 248).

647 has now been moved outside to the east end of Willowbrook.

Guessing they are planning to put it into service soon after it's maintenace period.

And is there any modification necessary to the coaches? I've always wondered if there was opportunity to make consist sets (4-6, whatever) that were articulated. Kind of like they make those flatbeds for seacans. Or are the coaches too heavy for a single bogie?
That's a fundamental redesign and completely unnecessary. The only thing the coaches need are modifications to the door to be flush with the new platform height

I’m pretty sure they are planning on buying new electric locos. I have not heard any plans to convert existing locos to electric.
What I do expect however is the retirement of around half of the current diesel stock. I’m guessing the F59PHs, and the early orders of MP40PHs get withdrawn. While the later MP40s, MP54s, and the diesels go will acquire in 2024-2025 will remain.

And is there any modification necessary to the coaches? I've always wondered if there was opportunity to make consist sets (4-6, whatever) that were articulated. Kind of like they make those flatbeds for seacans. Or are the coaches too heavy for a single bogie?
800px-DTTX_724681_20050529_IL_Rochelle.jpg
Actually an empty bilevel passenger coach is about the same weight as an empty well. But a redesign to that would be, unnecessary and basically pointless.

There are certainly articulated passenger car designs that share an end bogie between cars. But GO bilevel model isn't one of those. Modifying them to accompish this is a very big change, and I don't see a good reason for doing so.

Even "pairing" them by replacing one end coupler with a solid drawbar would not provide much value .

If it ain't broke....

- Paul

Back