News   Apr 19, 2024
 400     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 722     3 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 748     1 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

Not necessarily, but whatever passenger service is operated, the tracks need to be brought back to a higher standard, and that includes bridges.

A different design of bridge decking and fastening the crossties and rail to the bridge. While it’s unlikely to be the case here, this is one reason why many recent rail bridges are being built with rock ballast on concrete instead of wood ties on steel girders.

The engineering design would consider what speed is desired, and choose the design accordingly.

No, I explained that was the case on light branch lines where trestles and bridges were especially flimsy. The Guelph Sub bridges have always handled longer heavyweight passenger trains behind heavy steam and diesel locomotives at moderate top speeds, ie 60-70 mph. I am sure that the design was sufficient for those to run safely. But if we are now wanting GO or VIa to run at 90-95 mph, or more…. that may exceed the as-built design capability of the bridges. Bringing them back up to as-built condition (they were not well maintained for the past 20 years) may not suffice.

- Paul
It's sad that the line at one time allowed for speeds of 60-70mph and today we are running at 20mph. The neglect to the infrastructure to allow it to deteriorate to proof that railroads are doing everything they can to increase profits while neglecting to spend money on infrastructure.

How do you strengthen the lateral movement of the track? And will that result in doubling the current speed limit?
I thought he said longitudinal forces but I imagine lateral strength is important as well.
A different design of bridge decking and fastening the crossties and rail to the bridge. While it’s unlikely to be the case here, this is one reason why many recent rail bridges are being built with rock ballast on concrete instead of wood ties on steel girders.
I noticed that on recent images of the Kerch Bridge and wondered why. Now I know!

I thought he said longitudinal forces but I imagine lateral strength is important as well.

I noticed that on recent images of the Kerch Bridge and wondered why. Now I know!

Mark me directionally challenged ;-)

On solid ground, the lateral movement is largely controlled by the rail spikes and tieplates and the mass of the ballast. That's why curves are sometimes banked and usually subject to speed restrictions.

The longitudinal movement of the rail is controlled by rail anchors, which hold the rail in place against each crosstie. Whatever tension exists in the rail, the anchors prevent this tension from accumulating along the length of the section of rail, so it doesn't expand and kink or contract and break.

In CWR territory, there may be short sections of jointed rail and some special track material installed just beyond the ends of a bridge. Those rail gaps provide a little bit of cushion for movement so that any major expansion or contraction of the rail which does happen does not spread onto the bridge where the track structure may be less rigid.

- Paul

Mark me directionally challenged ;-)

On solid ground, the lateral movement is largely controlled by the rail spikes and tieplates and the mass of the ballast. That's why curves are sometimes banked and usually subject to speed restrictions.

The longitudinal movement of the rail is controlled by rail anchors, which hold the rail in place against each crosstie. Whatever tension exists in the rail, the anchors prevent this tension from accumulating along the length of the section of rail, so it doesn't expand and kink or contract and break.

In CWR territory, there may be short sections of jointed rail and some special track material installed just beyond the ends of a bridge. Those rail gaps provide a little bit of cushion for movement so that any major expansion or contraction of the rail which does happen does not spread onto the bridge where the track structure may be less rigid.

- Paul
What if you swapped it out for welded rail?

What if you swapped it out for welded rail?

Same issue. The bridge still needs to handle the linear forces that the train is transmitting to the rails.

CWR actually needs more attention to expansion/contraction and anchoring, hence the practice of gapping it in proximity to a bridge and adding some extra hardware. But that's not really the issue here. The track on the bridge, how it is fastened to the bridge, and how much linear force the bridge structure can handle, are the issue.

- Paul

Genuine question, is there a possibility that MX may get not get newly built locomotives?

I mean if the first 8 locos are supposed to arrive by September 2024, that's less than 2 years for a company to build every locomotive.

And considering how used locomotives that could be rebuilt are cheaper, is there even a slim chance that is what goes ahead?

Genuine question, is there a possibility that MX may get not get newly built locomotives?

I mean if the first 8 locos are supposed to arrive by September 2024, that's less than 2 years for a company to build every locomotive.

And considering how used locomotives that could be rebuilt are cheaper, is there even a slim chance that is what goes ahead?
If it's an existing design then it's just a matter of building the frame and assembling the components.

I see on wikipedia some of the cab cars were converted to fully passengers cars, then converted BACK to cab cars. Is this true?
light.PNG

I see on wikipedia some of the cab cars were converted to fully passengers cars, then converted BACK to cab cars. Is this true? View attachment 434167
Yes, cab cars 251 and 252 were converted into coaches, infact I believe they acted as accessibility coaches during this time.

I’d guess the need for some extra cab cars due to service increases prompted GO unconvert them.

Here is a picture of 251 taken during this time
01367B54-0FC1-4EBD-9A44-8B1331D2BEF9.jpeg

And that leads me to wonder, when will GO remove/replace those steps on all of the BiLevels that prevents them from using the at level platforms they were wanting to build?

I see on wikipedia some of the cab cars were converted to fully passengers cars, then converted BACK to cab cars. Is this true? View attachment 434167
The screenshot doesn't say "fully" converted. It is true that the coaches were converted to run mid-train, yes, but I would interpret a "full" conversion would include removing the cab to maximize floor space, which is not what happened.

Here is a pic of the cab area of a converted car, photo is mine.

img

Why would they keep the cab and most of its features
It probably would’ve been too difficult to remove the entire cab and strip all the controls and cab features away, I also believe they retained them incase there was some flaw that required the CEMs to be taken out of service, and allow them to temporarily be put back into leading service.

Back