News   Apr 19, 2024
 672     0 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 636     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

GO Transit Fleet Equipment and other

They used to have 12 car trains with 2 F59's. Nothing out of the ordinary.
That was back in the 90s as far as I am aware

Plus it’s still unique as it seemed like the F59s would be limited to 6-8 cars trains only for the last few years of their service lives.

Supposedly the London Train rn is 10 cars with dual F59s

I believe this is the first time in nearly half a decade F59s were used on a 10 car train (not counting the L10L consists would bring it closer to a full decade)
This morning I watched the London Train depart Guelph with the dual F59 and using my grade 1 math skills I can confirm that there are indeed 10 cars. Great to see. Hopefully we’ll see this service made permanent and platforms extended.

Better start ordering those can cars.
Cab cars? I expect that a shift toward shorter trains is the reason that GO/ONR has been refurbishing old cab cars as cab cars (see above), as opposed to their previous plan which was to refurbish them as intermediate coach cars.

Did GO also mention something about new cab cars when they put out the tender for those new diesel locomotives?

They used to have 12 car trains with 2 F59's. Nothing out of the ordinary.

That was back in the 90s as far as I am aware
Two problems:

1. The platforms weren't 12 cars long in the '90s
2. The MP40s didn't start arriving until 2007, so all 12-car trains from 2000-2007 also will have been operated by F59s.

There were still L10L F59 sets when I was living next to Danforth Station in 2015:

L10L F59 at 2:50 in the below video

Plus it’s still unique as it seemed like the F59s would be limited to 6-8 cars trains only for the last few years of their service lives.
They're limited to 6-8 cars per locomotive, hence why the London trains always have 2 locomotives.

Back