News   Jul 15, 2024
 144     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit Electrification | Metrolinx

They are already starting to build the foundations for the catenary in San Fran http://calmod.org/gallery/. KInd of exciting to imagine that we will have this too in not too long but, on a much much larger scale. Frankly by about 2030 Toronto and Montreal and many cities in between will have almost European level rail transport options! Not bad at all.
But probably not connecting them...

It's up to the vendor who is selected for RER to procure whatever equipment is required.

So, assuming there is no change due to the election, another year at the earliest

- Paul

What are the responsibilitity of this vendor? From what I’ve seen, there are many different vendors responsible for delivery of different aspects of RER, and not a single vendor as your comment implies (although I’m pretty sure I’m misinterpreting your comment)

What are the responsibilitity of this vendor? From what I’ve seen, there are many different vendors responsible for delivery of different aspects of RER, and not a single vendor as your comment implies (although I’m pretty sure I’m misinterpreting your comment)

See here

Specifically -

PRELIMINARY DBFOM CONTRACT SCOPE

From a procurement, design/construction and maintenance perspective, the general scope of work for the DBFOM contractor (“Project Co”) is expected to include:
  • Fleet: new electric locomotives and electric multiple units
  • Systems: power system upgrades, and other works to deliver electric traction power, train
    control and communication systems
  • Civil works: bridges, retaining walls, noise walls, grading, drainage, track bed and track
  • Union Station: reconfiguration of platforms, track and vertical transport
Project Co will be responsible for the seamless integration of all these systems and components in a way that delivers the best operational outcome.

I read this document as saying that all of the above is in the RFQ for the operator. Its Item SQ-2017-RTI-014 if you have access to MERX.

- Paul

See here

Specifically -

I read this document as saying that all of the above is in the RFQ for the operator. Its Item SQ-2017-RTI-014 if you have access to MERX.

- Paul
If this RFQ is indeed for the DBFOM contract, then why is the presentation linked above saying the RFQ is to be released on Spring 2018? The RFQ above was released in summer 2017 and closed by now.
I really hope it's the same one, but I doubt it.

If this RFQ is indeed for the DBFOM contract, then why is the presentation linked above saying the RFQ is to be released on Spring 2018? The RFQ above was released in summer 2017 and closed by now.
I really hope it's the same one, but I doubt it.

Good catch on the respective timing - and I don't have the slightest idea what the difference is.

- Paul

Whoa..."Hydrail"? Clumsy and hysterical for all but a few applications.
100% of electric Dutch trains now run on wind power
NS Dutch Railways has partnered with energy company Eneco to use its wind turbines to generate the energy

Every electric train on the Dutch railways NS network now gets 100 per cent of its energy from wind energy.

NS Dutch Railways has partnered with energy company Enecoto use its wind turbines to generate the energy needed to power all of its electric trains. The pair had hoped to achieve this milestone by 2018 but managed the feat as of January 1 this year.

reportedly equivalent to the amount all households consume each year. The 100 per cent wind energy-powered trains transport 600,000 passengers and three strokes of an Eneco wind turbine drives a railway train one kilometre.
[...]
http://www.wired.co.uk/article/dutch-trains-wind-power

https://twitter.com/UNFCCC/status/818724655422984193

Looks like a hydrogen update is coming.

https://twitter.com/BenSpurr/status/966732781026885632

DWqGUyxU0AARnqn.jpg:large

While the hydrail projects progress and we continue to investigate which technology will be the right solution for the GO rail network, we are still very much focused on delivering faster and cleaner electrified services in 2025.
Dream on...

I think electrification should continue, I have however never seen the logic of electrifying the entire Barrie corridor. That's a 110 km line that doesn't get near the ridership of Lakeshore East/West. I can see the RER portion electrified but going all the way to Barrie seems an illogical waste of funds.

There are some clear technical benefits of using Hydrail over catenary:
First, the system is more reliable. Unlike catenary, all the carriages produce their own power so unlike catenary if one section is no longer working the train can continue to run although at a lower speed and a reduction in total distance. This opposed to catenary where if the engine fails the entire train shuts down.

Second, if there is a power supply problem the Hydrail keep running while catenary obviously doesn't. Important if there is a system wide electrical failure or more probably if a catenary electrical line is damaged due to wind/ice etc.

Third, they are more flexible than catenary. A catenary train cannot be converted to assist a broken down or over capacity line unless the section is electrified unlike Hydrail. For example, if there is a break down of a diesel at Hamilton Centre, a catenary cannot be deployed /temporary extension of service to replace the train from Aldershot unlike Hydrail which is not dependent on only using rail lines that are electrified.

Fourth, this could create a whole new industry for the province in a field that is going no where but up.

Fifth, they maybe able to get a reduced price from Alstom and SOLID vehicle and operation guarantees and service due to being a prototype and hence showcase for the crucial NA market. Having systems operational in Europe is one thing but having one in the 2nd largest transit system NA is the kind of another. Despite being developed by Alstom based in France, the reality is that there is limited amount of potential markets in Europe due to the fact that nearly all of Europe's rail systems are already electrified unlike NA where nearly none are.

Sixth, it can be deployed VERY quickly due to requiring little infrastructure where, at least initially, the only requirements are the rolling stock and fueling centre.

Seventh, Hydrail offers more seamless journeys. If commuter rail is one day extended to, for example, Orangeville, the line can go right from Union to Orangeville via Brampton without need of a transfer at Brampton which catenary to Brampton would require.

I think some of you are writing off the many benefits that Hydrail has over catenary as it basically offers the benefits of diesel without the pollution, noise, slower de/acceleration, to say nothing of the money and time savings of getting the system up and running in the first place

Last edited:
Reactions: BMO

Back