News   Apr 16, 2024
 280     0 
News   Apr 16, 2024
 649     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.4K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Some tidbits on the LSE Expansion project in the Woodbine - Coxwell stretch (includes Smalls Creek)

I found this interesting:

1643221520210.png

Relatedly:

1643221573256.png

1643221592370.png

1643221613465.png

On the subject of the above......

The update on Mx GO Expansion projects that was on the Executive Ctte agenda for today saw an amendment pass:

1643240074923.png

Thank God, a traffic signal at Dissette! When I used the station just this fall, it sometimes took up to ten minutes just to leave the parking lot. I did notice they recently installed screens that are supposed to show when the next bus is to arrive, but the bus "loop" right now is more like a single curb.

I'm confused as to why they're installing three new bus bays when there's really only enough bus service for three bays total - GO 68, BWG Transit, and the Linx bus to Alliston. Or am I misreading this and it's not a net gain of three bus bays?

• We have delayed the construction for further community discussion and for Hatch, an independent third-party technical advisor, to complete a review of key alternative construction proposals

Also:

Alternative construction methods

Community members have asked Metrolinx to consider a different construction approach of the widening of the rail embankment to support the fourth track and electrification infrastructure. We reviewed the community’s proposals and it is evident that the original approach continues to have the least impact on the ravine.

One of the alternative approaches considered a buried bridge where the fourth track would be supported by buried pylons or piers. This approach would require a large access platform to be built through Merrill Bridge Road Park. This would lead to more trees being cut down for the enlarged access, laydown and construction area.

The approach recommended by our engineering consultants is known as “t-wall construction”, which use concrete panels that we can construct off site, and allows us to minimize our construction footprint and create space for replanting, once construction is complete. The ravine land at the bottom of the wall will be restored and replanted with the new slope having native grasses and shrubs.

During the planning stages of any Metrolinx’s project, we explore multiple options with a focus on creating infrastructure for the safe operation of trains and the protection of transit riders, neighbours and ravine users.

if i recall correctly, the 2nd track for the entirety of the corridor is going to be done by the oncorr peeps. same with lakeshore east
A large chunk of the 2nd track for the Stouffville line has already been laid, including a fully functional double track section just south of Unionville Station where northbound and southbound trains actually pass each other as part of the regular hourly service (doesn't happen during rush hour). The trains switch back and forth between future northbound and southbound tracks between Unionville and the LSE corridor. Many of the sections that don't have the 2nd track installed have the iron and ties laying nearby waiting to be installed. I think they're in no rush because none of the upgraded stations have both platforms ready for revenue service.

There's also a second bridge which needs to be constructed over the West Highland Creek where the line crosses under the CP North Toronto Sub. Construction equipment is there now looking like it's just getting started. All other bridges seem to be ready.

A large chunk of the 2nd track for the Stouffville line has already been laid, including a fully functional double track section just south of Unionville Station where northbound and southbound trains actually pass each other as part of the regular hourly service (doesn't happen during rush hour). The trains switch back and forth between future northbound and southbound tracks between Unionville and the LSE corridor. Many of the sections that don't have the 2nd track installed have the iron and ties laying nearby waiting to be installed. I think they're in no rush because none of the upgraded stations have both platforms ready for revenue service.

There's also a second bridge which needs to be constructed over the West Highland Creek where the line crosses under the CP North Toronto Sub. Construction equipment is there now looking like it's just getting started. All other bridges seem to be ready.
South of Milliken to the north side of Eglinton is double track except for the Agincourt Station area that is mostly done and will be once the station is finish. There maybe an area or so still to be double track that I can't get close to see first hand. Kennedy station is to be double track once completed late this year.

Rutherford Station, 4 February 2022

The temporary platform is still in use, but the east platform appears complete and the west platform is progressing nicely.

Looking northbound from temporary platform, note the extra-tall concrete bases on the columns to enable the platform height to be raised to 610mm for level boarding.
Rutherford2202 TempPlat.jpg

This angle clearly shows how space is reserved for a future centre express track. I suspect that the three bumps on the underside of the pedestrian bridge are mounting points for overhead electrification. Also note how the elevator shafts for the pedestrian tunnel are extra-tall to future-proof for level boarding.
Rutherford2202 Platforms.jpg

The landscaping between the platforms and the building is still under construction...
Rutherford2202 Building.jpg

... so the pedestrian route to the waiting room and bus terminal passes through the parking garage instead.
Rutherford2202 Garage.jpg

Here are the garage's 3 elevators (and staircase). The elevator sign shows an icon for "trains" on level 1, but fails to mention that you actually need to go to level 4 to access the bridge to the east (northbound) platform. If you're here, I suppose you could walk to the pedestrian tunnel instead, but I certainly hope that the other floors of the garage direct people to Level 4 for northbound trains.

Rutherford2202 Elevators.jpg

The new waiting room and ticket office is in service. Bright, clean and attractive, but nothing particularly interesting about it.
Rutherford2202 Waitingroom.jpg

The site is crossed by these canopies with attractive wood trim. They will make it possible to transfer from a GO train to a YRT bus without ever being exposed to precipitation. This is a massive improvement in customer experience compared to previous station designs where passengers would get soaked (or faff around with an umbrella) between the bus and the shelter on the platform, and between the shelter and the train. TTC stations have always been designed with canopies, and it's great that Metrolinx is finally following suit.
Rutherford2202 Canopy.jpg

A look from the front of the station. The bus bays will be where the black hoarding is on the left of the canopy. There is currently a temporary bus terminal in the parking lot.
Rutherford2202 Front.jpg

Four lanes of traffic are open along Rutherford Road through the new underpass, as well as the north sidewalk. However, that sidewalk was blocked off by "sidewalk closed please use other side" signs on both ends, even though the south side is deep inside the construction zone, and the north sidewalk is complete and meticulously cleared down to bare pavement (unlike every other sidewalk I encountered that day).
Rutherford2202 Underpass2.jpg

Here is the new multi-use trail bridge east of the tracks, which connects the station to the existing multi-use trail running along the east side of the railway 2 kilometres up to Major Mackenzie Drive.
Rutherford2202 BikeBridge.jpg

Last edited:
Rutherford Station, 4 February 2022

The temporary platform is still in use, but the east platform appears complete and the west platform is progressing nicely.

Looking northbound from temporary platform, note the extra-tall concrete bases on the columns to enable the platform height to be raised to 610mm for level boarding.
View attachment 378882

This angle clearly shows how space is reserved for a future centre express track. I suspect that the three bumps on the underside of the pedestrian bridge are mounting points for overhead electrification. Also note how the elevator shafts for the pedestrian tunnel are extra-tall to future-proof for level boarding.
View attachment 378881

The landscaping between the platforms and the building is still under construction...
View attachment 378877

... so the pedestrian route to the waiting room and bus terminal passes through the parking garage instead.
View attachment 378880

Here are the garage's 3 elevators (and staircase). The elevator sign shows an icon for "trains" on level 1, but fails to mention that you actually need to go to level 4 to access the bridge to the east (northbound) platform. If you're here, I suppose you could walk to the pedestrian tunnel instead, but I certainly hope that the other floors of the garage direct people to Level 4 for northbound trains.

View attachment 378878

The new waiting room and ticket office is in service. Bright, clean and attractive, but nothing particularly interesting about it.
View attachment 378884

The site is crossed by these canopies with attractive wood trim. They will make it possible to transfer from a GO train to a YRT bus without ever being exposed to precipitation. This is a massive improvement in customer experience compared to previous station designs where passengers would get soaked (or faff around with an umbrella) between the bus and the shelter on the platform, and between the shelter and the train. TTC stations have always been designed with canopies, and it's great that Metrolinx is finally following suit.
View attachment 378885

A look from the front of the station. The bus bays will be where the black hoarding is on the left of the canopy. There is currently a temporary bus terminal in the parking lot.
View attachment 378879

Four lanes of traffic are open along Rutherford Road through the new underpass, as well as the north sidewalk. However, that sidewalk was blocked off by "sidewalk closed please use other side" signs on both ends, even though the south side is deep inside the construction zone, and the north sidewalk is complete and meticulously cleared down to bare pavement (unlike every other sidewalk I encountered that day).
View attachment 378886

Here is the new multi-use trail bridge east of the tracks, which connects the station to the existing multi-use trail running along the east side of the railway 2 kilometres up to Major Mackenzie Drive.
View attachment 378876

Excellent report @reaperexpress

Thorough, well documented and insightful.

Good to see that future proofing built in; I don't mind the extra $ in the least, as it should save a bundle down the road. Would like to see more foresight in our public sector projects, just like this.

Back