News   Apr 16, 2024
 445     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Apr 15, 2024
 2.6K     7 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Woodbine Station will have to be completed before they can close and demolish Etobicoke North’s platform.

- Paul

Fully completed? Or could they just align the tracks for the platform configuration and then just build in the platforms, etc.? I'm thinking of the Mount Dennis Station staging as an example.

Does this mean that 2WAD service on the Kitchener line is blocked on Woodbine being completed?

Referring back to message # 16263 - getting the tunnel completed gets a major bit of work out of the way, but there is still a lot to do to get 2WAD in place. And that's just to get to Bramalea. Then there is work to get the 2WAD to Mount Pleasant. And more work to get it to Kitchener.... and that's a long way off. I'm not sure just what service plan ML intends to achieve west of Bramalea, frankly.... there will be improvements, I'm sure, but we don't know how far the service will extend.

ML has this annoying habit of celebrating each small step as if it were a complete and final victory. The tunnel is a big step, but the end is nowhere in sight.

- Paul

No date is given in the article.

But of note, tracks have not been laid, and will not be, under this contract.

From the link:

View attachment 339262
Ye I was just asking if there was a timeline for the next phase to finish. Looks like its quite unclear unfortunately.
Referring back to message # 16263 - getting the tunnel completed gets a major bit of work out of the way, but there is still a lot to do to get 2WAD in place. And that's just to get to Bramalea. Then there is work to get the 2WAD to Mount Pleasant. And more work to get it to Kitchener.... and that's a long way off. I'm not sure just what service plan ML intends to achieve west of Bramalea, frankly.... there will be improvements, I'm sure, but we don't know how far the service will extend.

ML has this annoying habit of celebrating each small step as if it were a complete and final victory. The tunnel is a big step, but the end is nowhere in sight.

- Paul
Ugh, I get that Metrolinx has to be careful with how much they spend at once, but would it really hurt to get a bit more work done in parallel?

Ugh, I get that Metrolinx has to be careful with how much they spend at once, but would it really hurt to get a bit more work done in parallel?

Or just publish the timeline for getting all the pieces done so we don't get our expectations up prematurely.

I'm pretty sure ML doesn't have such a timeline - too many unknowns - which is all the more reason to be transparent about how unclear the completion dates may be.

- Paul

Last edited:
Ye I was just asking if there was a timeline for the next phase to finish. Looks like its quite unclear unfortunately.

Its not even clear to me that they've put out the next stage of work for tender.

Even if it were bid separately, I'd like to see it already calendared so then when crew #1 wraps, crew #2 can be mobilizing within days.

Its not even clear to me that they've put out the next stage of work for tender.

Even if it were bid separately, I'd like to see it already calendared so then when crew #1 wraps, crew #2 can be mobilizing within days.

For the most, I agree with you.

Trying to be charitable to ML, if there is some critical-path task that is going to take forever anyways, then there's no rush to move on the remaining simpler quicker-to-finish tasks...in theory, easier on the cash flow to have fewer things paid for but not needed yet......except....it sure seems that in ML space, "other" things are deferred until they lose focus and then bog down and delay the entire project... or have to be rushed to completion at premium pay rates, etc. to keep up with the promised schedule. ML's project management leaves a lot to be desired, which may be why they are so eager to contract everything out to others.

- Paul

Speaking of Kitchener line, platform work is underway at Malton Go
It appears that the center platform is being widened and 2 tracks will be placed north of it.
20210804_150242.jpg
20210804_150344.jpg
20210804_150222.jpg
20210804_150210.jpg
20210804_150211.jpg

I'm pretty sure ML doesn't have such a timeline - too many unknowns - which is all the more reason to be transparent about how unclear the completion dates may be.

- Paul
It absolutely does have a complete timeline. Not just for this project, but for all of its projects. It has plans for years and years in the future, right down to equipment and staffing requirements, and even staged deployments of enhanced service once the projects are completed.

Whether that timeline is reasonable, achievable, or even capable of being reached under Metrolinx's supervision, on the other hand, is a completely different - and valid - question.

Dan

It absolutely does have a complete timeline. Not just for this project, but for all of its projects. It has plans for years and years in the future, right down to equipment and staffing requirements, and even staged deployments of enhanced service once the projects are completed.

Whether that timeline is reasonable, achievable, or even capable of being reached under Metrolinx's supervision, on the other hand, is a completely different - and valid - question.

Dan
The other question would be…. How much woukd the FOI request cost?

There may be a better thread for this, but - seeing as back around message 7943 we started discussing this here, so I will pick this up here - at a Community Town Hall last night, City staff indicated that the City is reviewing the cost-benefit of the Portlands Spur. Ports Toronto feels it may never be needed again.

One less bit of trackage down around Wilson Yard.

- Paul

Realize this isn't on topic but wanted to provide an update to Paul's post from last year. I guess I could claim it's on topic as I think residents have asked in the past if these tracks could be used instead of GO building the Don Valley Layover.

At today's Port Lands Flood Protection & Lake Shore Boulevard East Public Meeting, there were some images shown of the reconfigured Lake Shore Blvd E. It appears that the rail spur ROW is being protected for. Some quick screenshots I got below. I believe the full deck will be posted here soon: https://portlandsto.ca/august-2021-public-information-centre/

Update: a question was asked in the Q and A: "Are there more details available on the future status of the Harbour rail lead line?"
An audio recording of the response is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eR8QbccxJr-6x8f0kTqbni-ACOO6jzrv/view?usp=sharing

1628185084859.png

1628185293748.png

1628185318049.png

1628187441044.png

Last edited:
Realize this isn't on topic but wanted to provide an update to Paul's post from last year. I guess I could claim it's on topic as I think residents have asked in the past if these tracks could be used instead of GO building the Don Valley Layover.

At today's Port Lands Flood Protection & Lake Shore Boulevard East Public Meeting, there were some images shown of the reconfigured Lake Shore Blvd E. It appears that the rail spur ROW is being protected for. Some quick screenshots I got below. I believe the full deck will be posted here soon: https://portlandsto.ca/august-2021-public-information-centre/

Update: a question was asked in the Q and A: "Are there more details available on the future status of the Harbour rail lead line?"
An audio recording of the response is available here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eR8QbccxJr-6x8f0kTqbni-ACOO6jzrv/view?usp=sharing

View attachment 339600
View attachment 339602
View attachment 339603
View attachment 339611
They stated the line is currently close.

Been close for sometime as tracks are missing or cover over in a number of areas I have seen first hand.

Every time I have use MS team meeting, something doesn't work. Today, couldn't get screen shots to work. The last meeting I could not raise hand and could not talk before then.

Last edited:

Back