News   Apr 18, 2024
 734     3 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 251     0 
News   Apr 18, 2024
 585     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

That's much better than I expected date wise actually. I figured it would be next October or something. March is actually relatively not that far away.

The real fun begins next year by the sounds of it then. I imagine the winning bidder will mobilize quite quickly to get moving on construction.

commitment to keep train traffic at current levels on the barrie corridor until electrification is fully complete (apperently 2025 for the barrie corridor)
The exact quote is “The electrification of the Barrie corridor will be after 2025.” I do not interpret that as the electrification being complete in 2025 - unless there’s a subsequent clarification I missed.

The exact quote is “The electrification of the Barrie corridor will be after 2025.” I do not interpret that as the electrification being complete in 2025 - unless there’s a subsequent clarification I missed.
Thing is its ambiguous. It can either mean "The corridor will be electrified after 2025" or "The electrification process will be after 2025". There isn't any clarity whether it means the process or the electrification itself.

Thing is its ambiguous. It can either mean "The corridor will be electrified after 2025" or "The electrification process will be after 2025". There isn't any clarity whether it means the process or the electrification itself.

Surely they'll be finishing the remaining track-work prior to electrification.

^If you remember, the EA for the Davenport overpass was approved with a condition that off peak service could not exceed hourly until diesels were replaced. I’m sure ML will be pushing hard to get this route electrified as more frequent 2WAD depends on wires.

What I can’t recall (it must be in the EA somewhere) is if any overpasses have to be raised to allow that. Overpasses take time.

- Paul

Does this mean Stouffville will likely be the first line electrified?
I believe Metrolinx has always planned for the Lakeshore lines to be first, but the difference will only be a year or two.

Stouffville has a ton of grade separations to be built as a part of the OnCorr works so I imagine it will be a while before they turn on the electricity on the line.

I believe Metrolinx has always planned for the Lakeshore lines to be first, but the difference will only be a year or two.

Stouffville has a ton of grade separations to be built as a part of the OnCorr works so I imagine it will be a while before they turn on the electricity on the line.
IIRC those grade separations are a part of early works are they not?
scarborough junction was supposed to be another early works project but sounds like that was shelved because of east harbour

What about Kitchener and UPX, foundations for the OCS poles can be seen along the UPX spur and around Black Creek Dr. Plus other than the new platforms at Bloor and Weston, the new SmartTrack station at St Clair and the 409/401 tunnel, much of the works are complete thanks to the earlier Georgetown South project.

1622667208788.png

1622667368755.png

1622667399109.png

Since Lake Shore has the maintenance facilities, I would think some portion of LakeShore must be electrified for other lines to operate.

Since Lake Shore has the maintenance facilities, I would think some portion of LakeShore must be electrified for other lines to operate.

That raises the question about the Dunn-Dowling-Jameson-Dufferin bridges. I'm not up to speed on how much work was done on those already.

LSE will be hard to electrify until the additional trackage goes in, and it's a long way to Whitby anyways. That works against Stouffville being done early.

At one time, ML considered a dedicated EMU shop at Islington Ave on the Weston Sub. I could see UPE/Bramalea and perhaps Barrie being early conversions if that were pursued.

- Paul

Verster on Metrolinx changing the way it does tenders. Sounds like they're tired of losing lawsuits.

Mods: I picked this thread as it seemed most relevant to future construction projects. Please move at your discretion.

Member Motion from Councillor Bradford coming to next week's Council Meeting.

It certainly has ambitious asks in it, related to the corridor crossing at Small's Creek.

The City has very little leverage here; though it isn't without some options; but this really be a political decision from on high, within Mx or above, on whether to play ball.

Motion link here:

From said motion:

1622729348614.png

Speaking of the City and Mx...............yet another motion at this meeting seeks to give Mx a hardtime; this one from Councillor Fletcher, seeking to bump up the Don Valley Storage Facility to a Federal EA.

Clearly not a City decision, it would be a City request to the Feds.

I doubt very much that this would qualify for federal intervention..................

Motion Link:

Substance from same:

1622729524707.png

Back