News   Apr 23, 2024
 916     2 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 423     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1.1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Ref CN 6167 located just over the fence at the Guelph Station. I know that the City of Guelph has set aside $ to move the loco to another location in the city sometime later this year. Not sure if the new location is inside or out, but an inside location would certainly go further to preserving this historic piece. It has been resting outside in this location for at least 30 years.
Very few places have the $$ to have stuff store inside and this will end up being outside like it has been from day one. The look of the buildings housing this type of equipment needs to fit the area, being fully accessibly and that increase the cost of protection. Need a good group of people spending time keeping the exposed equipment up to date and deal with rust before it becomes a major issue.

Have seen far too many places where exposed equipment finally see the scrap yard, but lack of funds is the main cause. Even some store equipment have seen the same thing since no maintenance has been done on them.

Ref CN 6167 located just over the fence at the Guelph Station. I know that the City of Guelph has set aside $ to move the loco to another location in the city sometime later this year. Not sure if the new location is inside or out, but an inside location would certainly go further to preserving this historic piece. It has been resting outside in this location for at least 30 years.

It's being moved down the hill to John Galt Park, the city voted to move it a few months ago. Contractors are currently debating how they want to move the train.

Contrary to plans of a few years back.........

Metrolinx/GO is planning to grade-separate the crossing of the Stouffville line @ Progress Avenue.

Apparently their initial concept is road over rail, and involves 10m high retaining walls and causes access issues to several businesses.

Given the proximity of one of the branches of Highland Creek, there is no real opportunity for an underpass for road or rail.

I can see that the proposed bridge would cut off Atlantic Packaging's current western driveway/loading area at its north side of Progress plant.

Since I haven't seen the bridge design, not sure if they can squeeze a new access road in along the south side of that building.

Looking at it, their loading area is almost certainly in the floodplain of the creek, it encroaches really tightly.

Might be an idea to shift loading to the opposite (east) side; but assuming that's feasible, I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

Last edited:
Contrary to plans of a few years back.........

Metrolinx/GO is planning to grade-separate the crossing of the Stouffville line @ Progress Avenue.

Apparently their initial concept is road over rail, and involves 10m high retaining walls and causes access issues to several businesses.

Given the proximity of one of the branches of Highland Creek, there is no real opportunity for an underpass for road or rail.

I can see that the proposed bridge would cut off Atlantic Packaging's current western driveway/loading area at its north side of Progress plant.

Since I haven't seen the bridge design, not sure if they can squeeze a new access road in along the south side of that building.

Looking at it, their loading area is almost certainly in the floodplain of the creek, it encroaches really tightly.

Might be an idea to shift loading to the opposite (east) side; but assuming that's feasible, I'm sure it wouldn't be cheap.

They've had preliminary designs up here: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/documents-stouffville-grade-separations-tpap Scroll down and click "Roll Plans".

Dan

They've had preliminary designs up here: https://www.metrolinxengage.com/en/content/documents-stouffville-grade-separations-tpap Scroll down and click "Roll Plans".

Dan

Thnx Dan.

I'll have to scroll through a bunch of these.

The footprint of the bridge and its alignment are large; I can see they feel Atlantic Packaging's north side entrance can be managed with a modest driveway extension; but they appear to suggest closing the one to the south plant!

1588434396456.png

Do we know if Metrolinx (via CN) is building 1 or 2 new tracks between West Harbour and Confederation?

Also this might not be news, but the name “Confederation” is final. I was hoping that it would be “Stoney Creek”, but no. I know West Harbour was called “James Street North” for a while before the final name was determined.

Thnx Dan.

I'll have to scroll through a bunch of these.

The footprint of the bridge and its alignment are large; I can see they feel Atlantic Packaging's north side entrance can be managed with a modest driveway extension; but they appear to suggest closing the one to the south plant!

View attachment 243595

Thanks for sharing that. It looks like the Atlantic south plant entrance would be in the same place. (I think I'm just going based on Streetview) but that a modified entrance would need to be provided for the tile shop and the business west of it.

An access route with a bridge across West Highland Creek to the Self Storage Facility and the business west of it would add significantly to the cost. I'm sure Metrolinx is weighing the costs of buying the businesses out vs. building another bridge and they should be exploring the feasibility of accessing those properties from the south.

Removing the Self Storage Facility and allowing space to re naturalize a portion of the concrete lined West Highland Creek would be nice. Renaturalizing a few orphaned pieces of land would be a nice added benefit to this. One can dream...

Bloomington GO Station (Hwy. 404 and Bloomington Rd.) Update:

IMG_4711.jpg

Superstructure nearing completion. Glass should be coming soon.
IMG_4706.jpg

IMG_4712.jpg

Rendering courtesy Metrolinx:

bloomington-1.png

bloomington-3.png

untitled.png

Screenshot-2019-02-20-11_55_34.png

Screenshot (120).png

richmondhill-map.jpg

Last edited:
Just as Train 84 left Guelph this morning, construction crews started work on weather proofing the section for the new 2nd track on the Wyndham Street underpass.
chq+UhDYTN6Yxjlg+H02hQ.jpg

Whats the status of double tracking on Barrie and Stoufville?

Paused for covid, same speed, or are they taking advantage of the low ridership to expedite work?

Back