News   Jul 15, 2024
 217     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

W/o going into detail, Lysyk has an agenda of her own. Very few independent auditors or organizations back her stance. That being said, many P3s have been disasters. None worse than the London Underground fiasco:
[PDF]London Underground PPP: background - Parliament

But many, especially with lessons learned, are highly successful. It's not the model, it's how you build it.

Public private partnership forum examines lessons for transit - GHD
P3 Innovation: The Canadian Model | Public Sector Digest
P3 lessons from Australia | Bond Buyer
Eagle P3 Commuter Rail Project - Railway Technology
Case Studies of Transportation Public-Private Partnerships around the ...
Successful Practices for P3s - US Department of Transportation

Yes, Lysyk some might say 'went on a witch-hunt'.

Not sure if these renderings of Bloomington station have been posted here before (source):
bloomington-1.png

I wonder which subway lines this will be connecting to.

Ontario Transportation Minister pledges expansion into suburbs as part of Toronto subway takeover
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ister-pledges-expansion-into-suburbs-as-part/

I wonder which subway lines this will be connecting to.

Ontario Transportation Minister pledges expansion into suburbs as part of Toronto subway takeover
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/can...ister-pledges-expansion-into-suburbs-as-part/
Thanks for the 'heads-up'. There's irony in that discussion of the subway is no longer misplaced in this string.
In his speech, Mr. Yurek did nothing to quell those concerns. He criticized the city for what he characterized as a time-consuming transit expansion approvals process and “poor” record for on-time and on-budget project completion. He did not mention the relief line – which the city has consistently called its most-urgently needed expansion – but made the point five times that the subway is important to the province as a whole, not just to Torontonians.
There's very serious trouble brewing on this, whether the Relief Line is a subway or not, and whether it services Bloomington or not.

The Toronto subway as is cannot service any regions further afield. If Yurek had half a clue, he'd know that. But not having one is obvious. I wonder what his 'guru' will tell him?

I guess it's not just downtown Toronto that has enough subways, but apparently the City of Toronto as a whole has way too many.

I'm convinced that 90% of our politicians are just brainless dodo's who have never stepped outside of the tiny little 5km bubble radius of where they live. How dozens of individuals (regardless of party affiliation) can come out time and time again and say that Toronto has adequate an adequate transportation system with a straight face, while at the same time all of our roads are gridlocked to kingdom-come is really beyond me.

At this point the only way proper transit will ever be built in this province is if Metrolinx is separated from the Government of Ontario much in the same way the Bank of Canada is separated from the Government of Canada. Crown Agencies/Corporations are clearly useless.

I don't take much of this all that seriously.

It comes on the heels of an economic statement that says Ontario doesn't have all that much money to spend.

It also comes at a time when there are unresolved questions about transit on Sheppard.

And it presumably seeks Federal support in the runup to a federal election in the context of a Province that hasn't played nice on other fronts.

There is simply no way that Ontario could afford to build subway lines to the 905.

What it may foretell is cancellation of some of the LRT projects. And it sure brands the Minister as a guy who is just paid to mouth a script that someone else wrote on a napkin.

- Paul

I don't take much of this all that seriously.

It comes on the heels of an economic statement that says Ontario doesn't have all that much money to spend.

It also comes at a time when there are unresolved questions about transit on Sheppard.

And it presumably seeks Federal support in the runup to a federal election in the context of a Province that hasn't played nice on other fronts.

There is simply no way that Ontario could afford to build subway lines to the 905.

What it may foretell is cancellation of some of the LRT projects. And it sure brands the Minister as a guy who is just paid to mouth a script that someone else wrote on a napkin.

- Paul

Probably part of the Ford playbook - over promise, start vague studies, say you're working on it, and never build it.

Probably part of the Ford playbook - over promise, start vague studies, say you're working on it, and never build it.

Take the first opportunity to declare "Promises kept!" ..... and move on.

I do believe the TTC Subway takeover will happen, and shovels in the ground will happen for Line 2 to STC.....and that will be his Regional System achieved.

- Paul

And it sure brands the Minister as a guy who is just paid to mouth a script that someone else wrote on a napkin.
"Paid mouth"? He ate it, and thanked Lord Ford for the wonderful meal he begat.

The bottom line is that the bottom of the barrel is empty, and at the same time, the Infra Bank is portending opportunity. The one massive factor to get the Ford to turn-over is money. He don't got none. But investors do.

Perhaps Ford is trying to do an end run around the Feds by appealing to investors? Trouble is for Ford, who in the hell would want to do business with Mr Labels going broke? The more Ford tries to crank his engine, and wears down the battery doing it, the further ahead the Feds are.

Here's the precursor to the Island of Dr Morneau's spiel:
OTTAWA—It’s not sexy stuff.

But more money to improve ports, roads and bridges would immediately help diversify international trade and boost interprovincial commerce, says Transport Minister Marc Garneau.

And so Garneau has made an economic pitch to his cabinet colleague, Finance Minister Bill Morneau, who is set to unveil the federal government’s fall fiscal update Wednesday.

“We’re a trading nation” and the world’s second-largest geographically, Garneau said in an interview.

“We need to move our goods as efficiently as possible. If we don’t do it, our customers will look elsewhere, and I’m talking about our international customers and our American customers. So how efficiently we move goods will have an effect on growing our customer base and growing the economy.”
[...]
But there are immediate fixes that provinces, municipalities, transportation companies and other private sector actors have flagged to the federal government that would have a direct and positive impact on trade, says Garneau.

In fact, Garneau was surprised by the “sheer number” of applications that flooded his office after the Liberals unveiled in 2017 a $2.1-billion fund, to be spread over 11 years, to improve critical trade corridors like ports, waterways, airports, roads, bridges, border crossings, rail networks and the interconnectivity between them.

Between 350 to 400 requests for funding arrived on Garneau’s desk, amounting to requests totalling $16 billion.

“We don’t have $16 billion,” Garneau said with a wry smile.

However, he has so far announced 38 projects, totalling $800 million. And that means the first tranche of money is done.

The projects cover a wide range of demands.
[...]
But he said there is a “very clear, strong demand” for more money, and a need “to get rid of bottlenecks.”

“If I can’t get things efficiently to the port of Vancouver to go to Asia, or the port of Halifax or Montréal to go to Europe, then our economy will suffer,” he said.

Garneau wouldn’t say if he’s asked for the remaining $1.2 billion to be released more quickly, or for more money overall for the fund.

“Let’s just say that I would like to have more money and because it is addressing something that I think is very much in demand and has a very important benefit,” he said.

“Anything that can be done that can improve the flow of goods across the country is good for the economy. That’s my pitch.”

Garneau may have found a sympathetic listener in Morneau.
[...]
https://www.ourwindsor.ca/news-stor...u-links-transportation-improvements-to-trade/

The announcement from the Infra Bank yesterday was no co-incidence...

I do believe the TTC Subway takeover will happen, and shovels in the ground will happen for Line 2 to STC.....and that will be his Regional System achieved.
I think so too. The rest is a set-up for it.

But consider for a moment the 'missing Relief Line', the Infra Bank and the resurgence of the Feds talking the importance of transportation... The Relief Line could stone three birds with one kill, commuter, HFR and tying the regions into Toronto, doing what Ford can't and won't do.

Mmmmm...smells like election time coming closer...

Last edited:
But consider for a moment the 'missing Relief Line', the Infra Bank and the resurgence of the Feds talking the importance of transportation... The Relief Line could stone three birds with one kill, commuter, HFR and tying the regions into Toronto, doing what Ford can't and won't do.

Wait what do you mean by this?

And in the meantime... GO Transit? Which literally means Government of Ontario Transit? A system of trains that already run into the suburbs that the province already owns and operates? Maybe step up efforts to run more of those trains?... Maybe...?
Apparently it is now for the "elites", you know those cottage dwellers who have their estates in the cottage regions.

Subways are for the common everyday people, and everyone deserves them no matter where they live.

If a Line 2 extension to STC ends up costing upwards of $4bn or more, it stands to reason that any ridiculous line to Pickering would be over $10bn. Maybe (probably) more. Either way, it's like they don't get that the provincial government already controls Metrolinx, which already operates heavy rail throughout the 905, which already has electrification/expansion projects underway, which already EXISTS, and which has in its name "Government of Ontario" which puts the "GO" in GO Transit. Because they're morons. If they want GO fares at TTC prices, they could do it. If they want 5 minute all-day service on GO routes, they could do it. Yes, it will cost money, but they've thought of that, right?

They can do all the "uploading" they want. It will end up being far more complicated and expensive than they ever thought. And it still won't provide any kind of money for, you know, subways, subways, subways!

Back