News   Jul 15, 2024
 401     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 529     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

VIA Rail

I'm guessing they will be Siemens Charger Locomotives, similar to what Amtrak has recently started receiving?

is there any other product in the offering from their portfolio? Shame that MUs will probably not be possible. sad ending for bbr though... they lost out bigtime in the domestic market

if can con requirements can be eliminated from train orders, the orders will get a lot cheaper. That article is mainly complaining about the lack of can con requirements, but IMO the price premiums are not worth it. I remember reading somewhere that can con requirements often add 30%+ to the price tag.

Lol. Not happening. We could save billions doing the same on the defence side. Government doesn’t care about this. Jobs >> everything else.

is there any other product in the offering from their portfolio?

Siemens designed and engineered an FRA-compliant DMU as part of the tendering process for the contract that lead to SMART ordering from Nippon Sharyo.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

With the backstabbing from Bombardier with the thousand of layoffs, governments better be wary of continuing the corporate welfare.

That is just it, some of Bombardier is not worth saving. However, their railway division is sound. They just need to work on being better with deadlines.

That is just it, some of Bombardier is not worth saving. However, their railway division is sound. They just need to work on being better with deadlines.

If anything from Bombardier is worth saving, it's the aerospace division, from the Canadian perspective. The aerospace division is based in Canada. Bombardier Transportation isn't. The aerospace division is an anchor company for the entire aerospace sector which creates tons of high paying and high skill jobs through ancillary companies (CAE, Pratt, CMC, etc). Building steel boxes to run on rail doesn't really do much of that.

I'm guessing they will be Siemens Charger Locomotives, similar to what Amtrak has recently started receiving?
Oh wow, I just searched for Siemens Charger. They look like ancient garbage, so I hope there's a better option. And this after we had waited so long for modern trains.
Does this mean plans for electrification are not happening for the foreseeable future, or will Via be getting a dual-mode variant?

So apparently Metro North also recently ordered Dual Mode Chargers if someone wants to look into that
The Metro North order was to replace the locomotives on the Port Jervis lines, which are mostly single mode diesel GP40s IIRC. There is a strong likelihood of Amtrak/LIRR/MN joining up to replace with P32ACDM and DE30AC with a single dual mode checking all three railroads’ boxes, and it is supposed that Siemens are in pole position for that order, but those are third rail units so of no interest to VIA.

I am not an expert on international trade....but can someone tell me why our free trade agreements prevent us from favouring a domestic supplier while another signatory to some of those agreements has “buy America” and slaps tariffs around Willy-nilly?

Because that would unfairly advantage domestic companies, and foreign countries want equal access to our markets. The advantage is we get open access to bid on projects in their markets.

Not a response to you, but somewhat relevant is Bombardier's history of bribing countries for contracts: https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...cess-fees-inside-track-deals/article37454077/

Because that would unfairly advantage domestic companies, and foreign countries want equal access to our markets. The advantage is we get open access to bid on projects in their markets.

I understand the concept.....but I don’t understand why we are bound by it but America can have “buy America”. Why would “Buy Canada” be any different?

FYI....I am a believer in a low tariff, free trade world......I just don’t understand why we can be held to a higher standard than our major trading partner.

Back