News   Jul 11, 2024
 440     0 
News   Jul 11, 2024
 571     1 
News   Jul 10, 2024
 711     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ Thanks. So the 4th track will swing to the right (heading westbound) to get past the upright + bungalow? I assume the separate ground-level signal will be 'vader' style and not 'searchlight' style.

^ Thanks. So the 4th track will swing to the right (heading westbound) to get past the upright + bungalow? I assume the separate ground-level signal will be 'vader' style and not 'searchlight' style.

As I understand it, yes - how high a mast it gets will be interesting.

- Paul

^ My mind immediately went to this signal and its height. RH line, Bala Sub near River and Bayview.

1696263173346.png

^ My mind immediately went to this signal and its height. RH line, Bala Sub near River and Bayview.

It depends on how they intend to use that new track. I have heard different stories and I'm not sure they have even landed. Seems to depend on things like how the platforms at Liberty will work.

If the track is for local trains that will mostly be stopping anyways, a low mast is OK because visibility is not a concern for most moves. The train will have plenty of time to see the signal while the trains are stopped.

But if that is slotted to be an "express" track, they will want the signal high (as those on the tower already are) so it can be seen from further away over the "clutter" of the platform.

- Paul

It depends on how they intend to use that new track. I have heard different stories and I'm not sure they have even landed. Seems to depend on things like how the platforms at Liberty will work.

If the track is for local trains that will mostly be stopping anyways, a low mast is OK because visibility is not a concern for most moves. The train will have plenty of time to see the signal while the trains are stopped.

But if that is slotted to be an "express" track, they will want the signal high (as those on the tower already are) so it can be seen from further away over the "clutter" of the platform.

- Paul
The latest images of new stations suggest that the south-west 2 Kitchener Line tracks will be for stopping trains, with express / limited stop trains on the north-east 2 tracks.
1696345716997.png

1696345774914.png

These from: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2023/ex/bgrd/backgroundfile-234904.pdf

What exactly is the supposed lack of communication? Given this individual's fervent (thankfully ineffectual) activism on the matter, they've clearly been well aware of the significant disruptions, and the blocked connection is nothing new.

Having seen her most recent tweet, she seems to want day-by-day visual updates from Metrolinx. What a shock that the agency isn't interested in fanning the flames by pointlessly releasing pictures of the ravine under construction. Of course, if they had released pictures, our friend would simply shift back to criticizing the construction. These groups simply do not operate in good faith.

What exactly is the supposed lack of communication? Given this individual's fervent (thankfully ineffectual) activism on the matter, they've clearly been well aware of the significant disruptions, and the blocked connection is nothing new.

Having seen her most recent tweet, she seems to want day-by-day visual updates from Metrolinx. What a shock that the agency isn't interested in fanning the flames by pointlessly releasing pictures of the ravine under construction. Of course, if they had released pictures, our friend would simply shift back to criticizing the construction. These groups simply do not operate in good faith.

With great respect, I know Alisa; and she's a very reasonable person.

No she does not expect daily or weekly updates, but yes she would like to know when major milestones are hit or missed, the timeline revised, or other material changes made to the plans since they were announced.

The simple truth is Metrolinx did not keep their word here, not merely on updates, the number of trees saved was far less than promised and the destruction greater.

The project has not been delivered in such a way as to inspire confidence in Metrolinx or its contractor here.

That's a fair take, not an extreme one.

next week news story:

jimmie simpson park's fence takes 1m more of space from the park than expected during construction

View attachment 511135

Not that 1M would necessarily be insignificant (it could be the difference between a viable sports field and none at all); but your association of a hypothetical, and unlikely future complaint that you would choose to dismiss with a real event that has already occurred that is tangible and is not about 1 tree or 1 meter of land is not reasonable.

We all get here that you're a bit of an apologist for the provincial government (on a wide range of projects, in multiple threads); and that you wouldn't care if every tree on earth were chopped down, notwithstanding that it would literally make the planet unlivable. You're allowed your preferences.

But randomly inserting them, again and again in multiple threads when you have no news or insight to share is really inflammatory, and not necessary. You seem to live for taking digs at others with whom you disagree. Its not persuasive, it doesn't change anyone's view and its not a good look. Just sayin.

Last edited:
Picture of the state of Small's Creek Ravine as at this week:

View attachment 511117
Photo Credit Alisa Metcalfe

Text from her FB post (which features additional pics)

View attachment 511118
Staying on the topic of the post, I wonder if it's a worry at this particular moment the water isn't flowing through and that's part of the implementation plan and if it was always intended to be 'turned on' at completion. I'm certainly not a water expert. I seem to recall that the water already wasn't flowing through and that one of the goals for this project was to fix that.

Not that 1M would necessarily be insignificant (it could be the difference between a viable sports field and none at all); but your association of a hypothetical, and unlikely future complaint that you would choose to dismiss with a real event that has already occurred that is tangible and is not about 1 tree or 1 meter of land is not reasonable.

We all get here that you're a bit of an apologist for the provincial government (on a wide range of projects, in multiple threads); and that you wouldn't care if every tree on earth were chopped down, notwithstanding that it would literally make the planet unlivable. You're allowed your preferences.

But randomly inserting them, again and again in multiple threads when you have no news or insight to share is really inflammatory, and not necessary. You seem to live for taking digs at others with whom you disagree. Its not persuasive, it doesn't change anyone's view and its not a good look. Just sayin.
I used to engage with people after posting my opinions, but spending hours and hours debating people with the same arguments is kinda pointless.

for the next part This is on-topic of the trees at smalls creek alongside a GO CONSTRUCTION PROJECT

As for the trees you must have misunderstood me.
To be clear heres my opinion. Save this if you need to. Because I stand by it
If the only thing stopping infrastructure serving millions of people is a few trees, then it is in the public interest to build the project. Now i know theres a big hole in that argument where highways can be built using that argument especially 413 but Im not in favour of highways hell even roads at all. Theres a reason im here and not on cartoronto.com LOL.

Are you sure that everyone is that concerned with climate change? If we are in a place that 100 trees will save the planet, id literally donate to someone to do so. But it isn't is it?
If we refuse to tear down the Gardiner, close highways and encourage more non-car uses. If we refuse to tell the suburbs to stop whining about their commute times. If we refuse to even tell people to take the train to save the environment Then why should I care about killing 5 trees for a transit station? Hell we even complain when transit station construction that don't cut trees increase commute times. This is ridiculous

I dont care about some trees because to me no one wants to change their lifestyle.

Staying on the topic of the post, I wonder if it's a worry at this particular moment the water isn't flowing through and that's part of the implementation plan and if it was always intended to be 'turned on' at completion. I'm certainly not a water expert. I seem to recall that the water already wasn't flowing through and that one of the goals for this project was to fix that.
I think that the comment merely refers to that the flow isn't going through the new culvert - the old one is still there for now, as they aren't overlapping.

The old one was mostly fine, and water moved through it fine. The very south end of the old culvert was collapsed but significant flow was evident - and they didn't ever try and dig it out to see what the situation properly. This is an example of ineffective Metrolinx communication where they pretended that the culvert replacement was driven by the broken culvert, and that's what triggered the change from the original EA - rather than flood-stage issues for the entire embankment, which were never considered during the EA studies.

Communication isn't just saying things. It's avoiding lying through your teeth to cover up the slightest hint of error or ignorance.

If the only thing stopping infrastructure serving millions of people is a few trees, then it is in the public interest to build the project.
How then do you justify all the trees that had been planned to be removed on the south side, west of the culvert, that weren't actually necessary to complete the project; some 100+ years old?

If you could identify the trees by the number assigned to each one, in your response, that would help put it in perspective.

Reactions: max
I used to engage with people after posting my opinions, but spending hours and hours debating people with the same arguments is kinda pointless.

for the next part This is on-topic of the trees at smalls creek alongside a GO CONSTRUCTION PROJECT

For clarity, my concern is that your post was entirely a flame-war type move.

There is no added value, no new information, no opinion not previously offered.

Your post seems entirely, solely to have no purpose but to inflame.

As for the trees you must have misunderstood me.
To be clear heres my opinion. Save this if you need to. Because I stand by it
If the only thing stopping infrastructure serving millions of people is a few trees, then it is in the public interest to build the project. Now i know theres a big hole in that argument where highways can be built using that argument especially 413 but Im not in favour of highways hell even roads at all. Theres a reason im here and not on cartoronto.com LOL.

Swell, but this isn't about 1 tree or 10 trees; you have collectively across multiple thread said more than 20,000 trees don't matter.

Ontario Line, Ontario Place, GO Construction threads.......

Math matters. Its not one tree, its not 5 trees its 20,000 trees when you add them up.

Its also countless rare and endangered species that grow under those trees that will die-off when the trees are cut.

You also have a tendency to make false connections and misreport people's positions.

I don't recall anyone saying don't expand GO Service, or add tracks, the question is how, and with that off-sets for any damage done.

Likewise, No one opposed the Ontario Line in principle, people raised concerns about Osgoode Station, and about the combined track segments on the surface in the east end and the impacts of the Maintenance facility.

None of that is an argument not to build the Ontario Line/DRL, the discussion is over the form and the detail.

You have this propensity, across multiple posts, that anyone who questions any detail of something you support is a mortal enemy and an idiot beyond salvation.

It might serve you well to ask, could they possibly be my fellow project supporter who simply wants to see a better version of the project implemented?

There is room for varied opinion, yours and others; but you have to acknowledge that.

Are you sure that everyone is that concerned with climate change? If we are in a place that 100 trees will save the planet, id literally donate to someone to do so. But it isn't is it?
If we refuse to tear down the Gardiner, close highways and encourage more non-car uses. If we refuse to tell the suburbs to stop whining about their commute times. If we refuse to even tell people to take the train to save the environment Then why should I care about killing 5 trees for a transit station? Hell we even complain when transit station construction that don't cut trees increase commute times. This is ridiculous

I dont care about some trees because to me no one wants to change their lifestyle.

Again, so far, you're in favour of cutting down 20,000 trees, not five, or fifty or five hundred.

You seem to lack an understanding of cumulative effect. You also don't get a number of other nuanced details.

It is possible to disagree respectfully.

But you don't allow for that, you metaphorically spit at people who question anything you support in any way, instead of seeking nuanced compromise.\

I answer your questions even when I'm irritated with you, and I do so fairly and impartially.

Its possible to disagree with someone and still intelligently debate the facts.

That means, meme-free, and only after doing all your homework and reasoning out a thoughtful response to someone rather than name-calling or giving the proverbial finger.

For clarity, my concern is that your post was entirely a flame-war type move.

There is no added value, no new information, no opinion not previously offered.

Your post seems entirely, solely to have no purpose but to inflame.

Swell, but this isn't about 1 tree or 10 trees; you have collectively across multiple thread said more than 20,000 trees don't matter.

Ontario Line, Ontario Place, GO Construction threads.......

Math matters. Its not one tree, its not 5 trees its 20,000 trees when you add them up.

Its also countless rare and endangered species that grow under those trees that will die-off when the trees are cut.

You also have a tendency to make false connections and misreport people's positions.

I don't recall anyone saying don't expand GO Service, or add tracks, the question is how, and with that off-sets for any damage done.

Likewise, No one opposed the Ontario Line in principle, people raised concerns about Osgoode Station, and about the combined track segments on the surface in the east end and the impacts of the Maintenance facility.

None of that is an argument not to build the Ontario Line/DRL, the discussion is over the form and the detail.

You have this propensity, across multiple posts, that anyone who questions any detail of something you support is a mortal enemy and an idiot beyond salvation.

It might serve you well to ask, could they possibly be my fellow project supporter who simply wants to see a better version of the project implemented?

There is room for varied opinion, yours and others; but you have to acknowledge that.

Again, so far, you're in favour of cutting down 20,000 trees, not five, or fifty or five hundred.

You seem to lack an understanding of cumulative effect. You also don't get a number of other nuanced details.

It is possible to disagree respectfully.

But you don't allow for that, you metaphorically spit at people who question anything you support in any way, instead of seeking nuanced compromise.\

I answer your questions even when I'm irritated with you, and I do so fairly and impartially.

Its possible to disagree with someone and still intelligently debate the facts.

That means, meme-free, and only after doing all your homework and reasoning out a thoughtful response to someone rather than name-calling or giving the proverbial finger.
You seem very confident in that 20,000 trees number? If youre going to take the high road id recommend providing proof

don't recall anyone saying don't expand GO Service, or add tracks, the question is how, and with that off-sets for any damage done.

Thats the thing right? "We dont want it cancelled , We want transit done right" is the motto right? Which by itself implies that transit is not being done right and that they have a better solution.

What the motto always skips over is that the "better solution" is A. more expensive B. more length delays or C. completely unworkable
list of times this happens
- Leslieville
- smalls creek
- msf
- osgoode hall
- don valley
- REM LEST

When you point this out that this adds billions (i can source that) in extra costs, which in turn get projects cancelled. Super easy example: the REM LEST
- go to top-

see what i mean? ALL of these are the exact same thing It happens again and again and again, its exhausting, Its very annoying and honestly im sick of it. I'm sure theres people supportive of the REM LEST, im sure theres people in Smalls creek supportive of more transit service in the corridor. But that does not mean that they know more than the engineers who had spent years trying to build a good plan.

I have specifically READ people claiming they do in fact know more than engineers which is completely ridiculous

I get tired of having to repeat myself as you can see above. I didn't want to get into it. which is why I posted the forest gump meme. I was satirically saying that everyone knows my opinions theres no point in getting into detailed discussions
Obviously it didnt seem like it came off that way. Forum posts suck for sentiment

Now sure you can disagree whether the project plan is good, but in my opinion unless your new solution can fit all 3 criteria BEFORE proposing it then there you shouldnt be proposing it. Even proposing non-workable solutions adds delays and uncertainties to projects.
I hope I dont open up discussion on Osgoode hall, but honestly all of the "alternatives" either added delays, cost or were completely unworkable. I highly doubt that can be disputed

To summarize, I think the idea of normal people proposing "alternatives" is completely ridiculous.
Im always happy to hear how during consultation an idea is proposed to see if its possible to do x. Once its determined that it isnt, then that should be the end of it. for example as seen in leslieville: "the sound would be really loud, if you built it with noise barriers and use sound dampening techniques, can you do that?"

Back