News   Mar 28, 2024
 737     0 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 494     1 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 803     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Slides from different presentations: (first up, 'lets get ready to ride)

1662055979931.png

Now from Capital Projects:

1662056053148.png

1662056074355.png

1662056131676.png

1662056169989.png

Text report on Capital Projects isn't up yet.

In the various Northland train announcements, it is suggested that the new train service have a stop at Gormley. I believe that Bloomington would be the better stop instead of Gormley as there is additional parking, physically closer to the 404, and closer to urban centers of Aurora and Newmarket.
They would need to connect the stub track to the main line in order for that to happen.

Re Niagara Region GO/VIA developments.

From a local news source:

Niagara is taking ownership of two historic train stations to jumpstart GO Train and Regional Transit plans.

The Region has acquired the stations in Niagara Falls on Bridge Street and in St. Catharines on Great Western Street after a deal was worked out with VIA Rail.

Back in 2016, the Region committed $40 million to the train station strategy.

Some of the changes and upgrades to the Niagara Falls Station will be new bus loops with nine bays, moving the existing transit plaza on Erie Avenue to be adjacent to the station, modernized washrooms and customer waiting area, and a new Victoria Avenue roundabout that connects Victoria Avenue, Thorold Stone Road (extension) and Bridge Street.

"This project will completely change the way people travel to and from Niagara Falls and spur major upgrades in our downtown core. The scope spans from underground updates to prioritizing safe traffic flow and modernizing the VIA/GO Rail Station into a warm, welcoming hub for travelers. We can’t wait to see it all come together!" ~ Jim Diodati, Mayor, City of Niagara Falls
In St. Catharines, there will be a complete reconstruction of the VIA station site with a new site access road connecting the station to Ridley Road, a new bus loop with six bays, and replacement of the 100-year-old CN overpass (St. Paul Street West Bridge).
"The acquisition of the VIA station is an important milestone that will allow Niagara Region to progress on developing a multi-modal hub that not only supports GO Transit services, but also regional transit and other transit tenants. It will also serve as catalyst for transformational change in the area around the station, as envisioned in the St. Catharines GO Transit Station Secondary Plan." ~ Walter Sendzik, Mayor, City of St. Catharines
Regional officials say work continues on bringing all-day, two-way daily GO Train service to Niagara, and they want to ensure rail and bus connectivity into the stations is seamless, frequent and reliable.
"This is good news for local residents in Niagara who have been looking forward to expanded rail service. The transfer of the St. Catharines and Niagara Falls rail stations to the Region is an important step forward in Niagara's GO Transit development strategy. Today's regional announcement builds on our government's announcement last week of bringing back year-round weekend GO rail service between Union Station and Niagara Falls." ~ Sam Oosterhoff, MPP, Niagara West
"Regular, enhanced GO Train service will provide superior connectivity between Niagara and the rest of the GTHA through public transit allowing people to travel seamlessly along the GO network. The station and infrastructure improvements we are making will create a generational impact on this area, this community, and the way in which transit options are leveraged for decades to come. I look forward to continuing the Region’s collaboration with our partners." ~ Jim Bradley, Regional Chair, Niagara Region

Beautiful and higher capacity stations achieve little without track capacity.

- Paul

While this is true, we have certainly seen the constraints faced by local transit when GO offloads; new bus bays, better location etc etc. will be helpful in this regard, and may benefit the region's transit services even when GO isn't running.

A hub here should have at least some spill over effect to the historic downtown area of NF; and will also support plans for the new college campus next to the station.

The Region now controls Transit in Niagara, with seamless schedules and new livery to begin rolling out next year. So in that regard, this is a good, if modest step.

Last edited:
Badgering Metrolinx to improve the pedestrian connection across the tracks at Old Cummer instead of fencing everything up. Email from Shelley Carroll's office and screencap from her spring newsletter:

View attachment 424628View attachment 424629

Maybe cross-post this one to the Cycling thread; get more potential eyes on it who might help w/the badgering.

Thats great news. Confederation GO will really help open up more of Hamilton to regional rail.
Construction has been "starting soon" since April of 2020, so I wouldn't get too excited. It's very much a "I'll believe it when I see it" type of thing.

Also - Confederation GO is quite a large contract from my understanding as they will be adding a track from West Harbour to Confederation, which should improve travel times and reliability for Niagara trains as a whole as well.

Construction has been "starting soon" since April of 2020, so I wouldn't get too excited. It's very much a "I'll believe it when I see it" type of thing.

Also - Confederation GO is quite a large contract from my understanding as they will be adding a track from West Harbour to Confederation, which should improve travel times and reliability for Niagara trains as a whole as well.
You’re correct about the track work. It’s great they’re doing it because it should allow half-hourly service to be extended from West Harbour to Confederation from day one. Now, if only they’d get moving on Grimsby/Casablanca GO.

Back