News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 584     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 884     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

As an olive branch/mitigation, it would certainly be interesting to see some kind of accomodation for a trail beside the Layover and connection using the half-mile bridge. Almost similar to the West Toronto Railpath. Thoughts @Northern Light @smallspy @crs1026 ?

There are plenty of railway bridges that have been repurposed for use on a pedestrian or cycling trail, so it's certainly a possibility.

What we don't know is whether ML does have a long term intention to use that bridge for some transit project - eg VIA HFR, or in conjunction with reactivating the Leaside Spur to reroute the Richmond Hill service away from the Don River. (I see the latter as a very long shot, as the NIMBY reaction would be intense.... but it's an option that's on the table in theory). (PS: If Pickering Airport ever were built, an extension of UP on this route might be considered....)

I expect they would not be eager to "temporarily" repurpose it, because that would invite a hue and cry when they tried to take it back for rail use. It's understandable if they prefer to let it sit idle until their plans firm up.... which could be decades.

But if HFR is going a different route, and the Leaside Spur is truly gone..... and the bridge is not needed for transit.....by all means it would make a great addition to the trail network. Given the environment, and its length and height, it would need proper siding and flooring to be safe.... but it's fundamentally good to go in that capacity for another century. Maybe it's a good opportunity to push ML to fish or cut bait.

- Paul

Last edited:
As an olive branch/mitigation, it would certainly be interesting to see some kind of accomodation for a trail beside the Layover and connection using the half-mile bridge. Almost similar to the West Toronto Railpath. Thoughts @Northern Light @smallspy @crs1026 ?

I'm not sure I see a benefit on the section south of the 1/2 mile bridge; there's already a trail below the track and just a bit west.

There may be some value in trail at the 1/2 mile site; but assuming Mx would want to preserve the the option of rail in the future, I assume any trail would be cantilevered off the side; that's not a cheap investment; it also doesn't really produce any ecological benefit.

There are a list of ecological projects that could go ahead in the general area, if funding were in play that would probably be better suited.

1) Removing the cloverleaf at Bayview and associated restoration works
2) Restoration of the current Salt Dome location
3) A site that I know as 'Chester Springs North'; just a bit north of the viaduct
4) A potential restoration of 5 acres near the Millwood Bridge * ( likely tied up by the Ontario Line crossing of the valley in that location)
5) Restoration of the DVP embankment north of Pottery Road

Among others.

Last edited:
Wasn’t sure where to post this and settled on here. I noticed in this video that some bracing has gone up on the St. Marys bridge piers. Though this was likely CN’s doing (they own this part of the Guelph Sub) it makes me wonder if more rehab work is in store for this bridge? The reason only F59s can pull the daily London GO run is due to a weight restriction (measured by axel load) on this bridge. Fixing it would let Metrolinx run MP40s, which would help with operations.

Anyways, anyone have thoughts on this?

8F8C4719-BDBD-48FE-ABF8-53288C26A999.jpeg

Metrolinx's weekly newsletters say that Guildwood is having "signal upgrades" tonight and over the weekend. Does anybody know any specifics? I'm trying to assess whether it's worth going out there for some 'before' photos, and/or hanging around overnight like I did for Waterdown West last month.

We are upgrading the signals near Guildwood GO to support significant service improvements on the Lakeshore East Line. This work can only be done when trains are not running on certain tracks.

Starting late Friday, July 22 until Sunday, July 24 there will be changes to the train schedule, including some cancellations, in the late evenings and mornings. Regular weekend service will be in place for the remainder of the day.

These upgrades will improve train speeds and reliability, allowing us to provide better service to you in the future.

^ That might be part of it, but there's no reason why that alone would require such extensive closures/modifications. Given that they say "this work can only be done when trains are not running on certain tracks" makes me think there's some trackwork involved (new switch(es)? crossing modification?) along with whatever else they're doing (dropping a new location case?). I feel like I'm talking myself into another overnight visit...

Metrolinx's weekly newsletters say that Guildwood is having "signal upgrades" tonight and over the weekend. Does anybody know any specifics? I'm trying to assess whether it's worth going out there for some 'before' photos, and/or hanging around overnight like I did for Waterdown West last month.
It was a combination of things - signal work and rewiring, as well as some track replacement.

In any case, don't bother - the work was cancelled/postponed.

Dan

In any case, don't bother - the work was cancelled/postponed.
That must have got cancelled late. I got notifications yesterday early evening, and the GO site was full of changes.

Looks like there still a bit of late night cancellations. And confusingly though the text has changed, there's still a big red banner at https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/go-service-updates noting that there's time changes and cancellations. With an odd URL that links back to the same page.

This is only going to delay what inevitably needs to be done.
It should be in Leaside Yard. It is 3km further but has much more expandability and potential tie-ins with Ontario Line facilities. At 60km/h it is a 3 minutes away... surely they could figure out how to have a train leave 3 minutes earlier to arrive at Union to load passengers on time.

Finally got around for a walkabout today and got some shots of the progressive of the double tracking and Second platform at Guelph Central.
Heading East from the old Dublin Street Crossing to the station…
75F137A3-6D0D-4D6D-8151-B35FB321A955.jpeg
C2396FF4-EFD6-4455-9A7B-A8E9D1349A60.jpeg
95FC2FEB-030E-4E2F-B4FE-37B5E8FE3089.jpeg
1A7591F5-7CAB-4545-852E-F623C4D1A952.jpeg
F6794163-2BE4-4A96-9FD3-14A6ED56EA19.jpeg
5D4742FC-6E3F-4B9F-93BF-B46340195C4B.jpeg
AF520D88-3C2F-4789-AF8A-99DF2F317BCF.jpeg
6992D3E7-D0E7-43FF-AEC1-1EE2555F6159.jpeg
E72E3D34-308D-47B8-BF14-A1055CF5C116.jpeg

Back