News   Jul 12, 2024
 504     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 518     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 275     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Progress on the Kerr St Grade Separation. I believe the work by Dana is related to the fact that they are losing their current loading dock and a portion of the lawn in front of their building.
IMG_20210424_134607479.jpg
IMG_20210424_134612225.jpg
IMG_20210424_134718749.jpg
IMG_20210424_134815604.jpg
IMG_20210424_134825947.jpg
IMG_20210424_134841767.jpg
IMG_20210424_134929903.jpg

^ I didn't catch the construction phasing/timing portion, so I can't speak to the timeline above and if any closure lasts between construction commencing and substantial performance.

From the Ontario Line Shared Exhibition station design
- shifting Go train tracks by what looks to be a few metres. Curious as to why thats needed
- shared go/ontario line platform
- I cant tell if the north platform is shorter than the south or not, wouldnt it make sense if it was when acting as a terminus? if theres dedicated loading/unloading platforms?
- The Tunnel portal was moved from the garrison crossing and rail split to just before the station
- 2 of the 4 tracks are going to be "removed" and shifted upwards to meet the new tracks
- while work is being done on extensions and edits of the tunnel, a new temporary pedestrian bridge is going to be created
1619731587354.png

1619732664240.png

From the Ontario Line Shared Exhibition station design
- shifting Go train tracks by what looks to be a few metres. Curious as to why thats needed
- shared go/ontario line platform
- I cant tell if the north platform is shorter than the south or not, wouldnt it make sense if it was when acting as a terminus? if theres dedicated loading/unloading platforms?
- The Tunnel portal was moved from the garrison crossing and rail split to just before the station
- 2 of the 4 tracks are going to be "removed" and shifted upwards to meet the new tracks
- while work is being done on extensions and edits of the tunnel, a new temporary pedestrian bridge is going to be created
View attachment 316033
View attachment 316034
That is a very strange station layout. So about the platform length, I'm going to guess that the south one looks larger because of some on platform utilities that is shared with the GO platform, or its just poorly drawn. The zoomed in image clearly shows the platform being of equal length. As for the layout, this is interesting, and frankly not in a good way. A shared platform sounds nice on paper, until you realize that the shared platform is between Eastbound OL trains and Westbound GO trains, meaning that most people would not benefit from a cross platform connection, and you risk overcrowding the station platform and the stairs to the platform. I can't imagine passenger circulation being that great.

^Can't find a source link.... can you provide it?

It's a very bizarre layout. But so like ML to suddenly come up with a new idea and rush out with it before all the implications have been identified.

It makes sense to have all the tracks in parallel and at grade, with an enlarged underground passage (or two) providing the pathway for transfer as well as north-south access to the Exhibition grounds.

Once construction starts, FC afternoons are going to be so...... interesting.

- Paul

That is a very strange station layout. So about the platform length, I'm going to guess that the south one looks larger because of some on platform utilities that is shared with the GO platform, or its just poorly drawn. The zoomed in image clearly shows the platform being of equal length. As for the layout, this is interesting, and frankly not in a good way. A shared platform sounds nice on paper, until you realize that the shared platform is between Eastbound OL trains and Westbound GO trains, meaning that most people would not benefit from a cross platform connection, and you risk overcrowding the station platform and the stairs to the platform. I can't imagine passenger circulation being that great.
hypothetically could they reverse the running of the trains so that lsw runs eastbound into the shared ontario line platform?

like the top 2 lines would be eastbound express/all stops
and the bottom 2 would be going westbound?

hypothetically could they reverse the running of the trains so that lsw runs eastbound into the shared ontario line platform?

like the top 2 lines would be eastbound express/all stops
and the bottom 2 would be going westbound?
I too wondered whether they were planning something like that.

But that means turning the entire Oakville line upside down just to accommodate this one junction. And, it affects the routing of trains into Willowbrook and the VIA TMC. And it would have to integrate to how they plan to operate the USRC.

- Paul

Okay this makes sense now, I asked on the call if they want to sync up the go train line to be with the OL.

The answer was them specifically stating EVERY Go train will stop at exhibition.

This would explain why 2 tracks are being shifted with the Ontario line early works
So it would look like this adding a platform between the 2 groups of tracks, terrible mspaint drawing on the zoomed in image courtesy of me

Wonder if they are going to do kinda the same with the east harbour station?
1619738493645.png

They could run Ontario Line trains on the left. Nearly all other platforms are center platforms so confusion issues would be limited.

They could also reverse the Ontario Line at just that station with a bit of a tunnel dance; it's a long enough run from Bathurst/King to have westbound Ontario line trains arrive at the south platform.

Last edited:
They could run Ontario Line trains on the left. Nearly all other platforms are center platforms so confusion issues would be limited.

They could also reverse the Ontario Line at just that station with a bit of a tunnel dance; it's a long enough run from Bathurst/King to have westbound Ontario line trains arrive at the south platform.
The problem is that's a temporary solution. Eventually OL WILL be extended west, and then what? The line will swap sides to accommodate one not so well designed station?

Back