News   Apr 25, 2024
 291     0 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Apr 24, 2024
 1.6K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

My understanding was that a CP set of tracks on the south side of the corridor would have been added, not that they would share tracks. That would definitely have been a nonstarter and hard to force upon the two companies.

Very vague. From as far as I can tell it means a mix of negotiating with CN on good terms and not increasing frequency beyond what CN is willing to offer and which the market hasn't already demanded. If you get along, satisfy the market at your doorstep without stimulating that demand with incentives like frequent and convenient service, voila... you don't need the by-pass.

It's vague, but there are some capacity options between Bramalea and Georgetown that could lead to more service that will cost less than the $5B bypass: 1) third or fourth track addition in downtown Brampton; 2) additional track from Mount Pleasant to Georgetown; and 3) rail under rail grade separation near the Credit River.

April 11
There is light at the end of the tunnel and far from completion, let alone ready to add the 4th track as well shift the existing tracks.
51120335256_1c3835fee3_b.jpg

51119760562_06d861553a_b.jpg

51120080764_a9682d6631_b.jpg

51120243538_bd41a3d2d8_b.jpg

51121127370_c2c082e6ed_b.jpg

51121127335_dd5d795fa9_b.jpg

51119760797_8251ac600d_b.jpg

51120081064_913813f684_b.jpg

51120335341_be7f92fbc2_b.jpg

51121127120_037d54c189_b.jpg

51120335111_2654cef00d_b.jpg

It's vague, but there are some capacity options between Bramalea and Georgetown that could lead to more service that will cost less than the $5B bypass: 1) third or fourth track addition in downtown Brampton; 2) additional track from Mount Pleasant to Georgetown; and 3) rail under rail grade separation near the Credit River.
Having a 4th track through Brampton needs to be a self starter. If they're going to demolish those buildings to the south of the current station they might as well build supports for a 4th track. In the rendering's I only saw a 3rd track proposed.

April 11
There is light at the end of the tunnel and far from completion, let alone ready to add the 4th track as well shift the existing tracks.

Over the Easter weekend, I happened to pass by the area daily around sunset. From the amount of lighting it looked like they were working over the weekend. That implied to me that they were likely lagging on the schedule - hence the need to work at premium hours.

- Paul

Having a 4th track through Brampton needs to be a self starter. If they're going to demolish those buildings to the south of the current station they might as well build supports for a 4th track. In the rendering's I only saw a 3rd track proposed.

Were these recent renderings and were they publicly posted somewhere?

Don Valley Layover - Public Meeting. Co Hosted with MPP Peter Tabuns and Councillor Paula Fletcher
Seems like it would be an easier sell to use an underused rail yard as a rail yard. Why not have the trains continue up the line to Leaside, avoid needing to impact the valley as much with the parking lot and service building, but instead only keep the tracks and upgrade them to operating condition.

CombinedGOOntarioLine.png

Were these recent renderings and were they publicly posted somewhere?
There is a plan floating around that I have seen and no idea if it is this thread or another.
They are tearing the buildings down on the south and you cannot 2 new tracks on that side. One has to be on both side of the existing 2 requiring the VIA station move north for one track.

The big issue is at Mills as it needs to be grade separated as well closing part of Railroad.

ML bought the building east of Main on the north side years ago to allow a track to be built on the north side.

Seems like it would be an easier sell to use an underused rail yard as a rail yard. Why not have the trains continue up the line to Leaside, avoid needing to impact the valley as much with the parking lot and service building, but instead only keep the tracks and upgrade them to operating condition.

The answer is $$$

Reactivating the Don Branch would mean restoring/rebuilding the 1/2 mile bridge across the Don Valley (its in rough shape); as well as rebuilding all the applicable track, and probably putting signalling in as well.

That's also presuming CP would offer up the yard; which would then need to be leased or purchased, as opposed to the Don Branch tracks which Mx owns.

Don't get me wrong, its a fine thought......

View attachment 313262
There is no CP yard there anymore but pile of used ties. I don't think that spur is used anymore. What was an industrial area at one time is turning into big box and residential.

You have a car wash next to CP tracks and a sub station south of it and that is all there now.

Reactivating the Don Branch would mean restoring/rebuilding the 1/2 mile bridge across the Don Valley (its in rough shape); as well as rebuilding all the applicable track, and probably putting signalling in as well.
I won't lie... I dream of the day that trains will run over that viaduct again... hopefully sleek shinkansen type models whisking people to Ottawa some day, but GO diesel fleet headed to park in the Leaside yard for now seems like an attainable goal.

There is no CP yard there anymore but pile of used ties. I don't think that spur is used anymore. What was an industrial area at one time is turning into big box and residential.

You have a car wash next to CP tracks and a sub station south of it and that is all there now.

From November 2020:

1618683872994.png

1618683929495.png

The above 2 are Streetview, from the Arena parking lot on the north side.

The below is from the south side, on Redway Road:

1618684149437.png

Most recent aerial for sure, is TOMaps which dates back to 2018:

1618684372015.png

From November 2020:

View attachment 313266

View attachment 313269

The above 2 are Streetview, from the Arena parking lot on the north side.

The below is from the south side, on Redway Road:

View attachment 313276
I was at the carwash area last week and saw no tracks other than the 2 mainlines and rows of ties on the north side. The ties maybe hiding some tracks, but the area hasn't been use as an yard for decades. I remember in my young days seeing cars in the yard as well the switch to the Don Valley Line.

Was going to check the west side but ended up not doing it. Never venture east where the road ended.

Did take some photos and starting to work on the photos for April 11.

I was at the carwash area last week and saw no tracks other than the 2 mainlines and rows of ties on the north side. The ties maybe hiding some tracks, but the area hasn't been use as an yard for decades. I remember in my young days seeing cars in the yard as well the switch to the Don Valley Line.

Was going to check the west side but ended up not doing it. Never venture east where the road ended.

Did take some photos and starting to work on the photos for April 11.

It hasn't been THAT long. I saw trains there maybe 4-5 years ago.

Took me awhile to dig it up......

I found a Torontoist article showing the yard was active in 2010.......

But this is better:

From the above:

1618685730049.png

Back