News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 434     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

That's not an accurate representation of the group's position.

They are expressly in favour of the new track.

They simply asked Mx to review alternative designs that would be less impactful on the local ravine.

Its a nice, if small space. It has some rare species and its quite tranquil.

I don't think, based on Mx's proposed track layout and current rules around how to manage railway embankments that there is an option that doesn't cause harm to the local ravine.

The question is more of whether the damage can be mitigated; and/or off-set in some way.

The local group maybe a bit naive, though hiring that particular lawyer (who I know and has a good track record) indicates they have some pocket change.

Mx, on the other hand has been less than transparent, less than forthcoming, and just hasn't ingratiated itself well.
Fine, then actually read what the criticisms are, in full, and reply to each one specifically, with whatever counterpoints you have.

When you dismiss people as Nimbys it presumes there is one {or 3 etc.) clear arguments, that are selfish, and unreasonable, and that the needs of the many, outweigh those of the few.

I would argue, that the arguments here don't lend themselves to such a reductive analysis, across the board.

Keep in mind this group has stated explicitly that they favour a 4th track and 2-way, all-day.
From what I've seen in there communications, there are many in this group who call into question the need for transit expansion. I don't take the supposed support for much, they support it as long as tons of extra money is spent on this section.

Early works underway for the Kerr Street Grade Separation (Oakville). Mainly tree clearing for now. Some roadworks too at Kerr and Speers.

AADC4CDF-5D6E-4A48-9515-279E15DE611B.jpeg
3B5E3887-41D5-4137-9910-2AF92BEA7030.jpeg
DB75C8DA-9D50-4A76-9DF2-0FBAA7A95666.jpeg
4761F7B8-E908-4AB0-A938-8EB3AFA3D59C.jpeg
ABDF9C80-3AF9-4CE5-AF17-F942694FEC63.jpeg
35081A22-70DD-4EBE-90C0-A804B3F32E17.jpeg

As long as the construction doesn't impact sixteen mile creek and is next to the roadway, I can't imagine anyone showing up to complain. Tree removal is more like scrub removal there.
I shot the area years ago and there were no trees worth saving. This is too far from sixteen mile creek to worry about and on the west side of Kerr St.

There will be slow orders for trains until the bridge piers are in place as well the forming of the bridge over the tracks.

I shot the area years ago and there were no trees worth saving. This is too far from sixteen mile creek to worry about and on the west side of Kerr St.

There will be slow orders for trains until the bridge piers are in place as well the forming of the bridge over the tracks.
I thought this was going to be an underpass, with Kerr diving under the tracks. Last report I saw had construction doing the following:
  1. Lay temporary tracks North of the current ones (this is the area they are clearing)
  2. Re-route Kerr to the west, roughly where the Wimpy's and Good Books building is. I'm not sure when demolition will take place.
  3. Remove tracks at the current level crossing and build the underpass with new tracks overtop
  4. Re-route trains to the new tracks, keeping the westerly alignment for Kerr
  5. Complete the new sections of Kerr St
  6. Re-route Kerr to the new alignment and remove the temporary level crossing

I thought this was going to be an underpass, with Kerr diving under the tracks. Last report I saw had construction doing the following:
  1. Lay temporary tracks North of the current ones (this is the area they are clearing)
  2. Re-route Kerr to the west, roughly where the Wimpy's and Good Books building is. I'm not sure when demolition will take place.
  3. Remove tracks at the current level crossing and build the underpass with new tracks overtop
  4. Re-route trains to the new tracks, keeping the westerly alignment for Kerr
  5. Complete the new sections of Kerr St
  6. Re-route Kerr to the new alignment and remove the temporary level crossing
The last I heard and saw it was to be an overpass, but haven't follow it in years. The Rain Condos sidewalks at Sheppard were move to the south for better access to Kerr St

The last I heard and saw it was to be an overpass, but haven't follow it in years. The Rain Condos sidewalks at Sheppard were move to the south for better access to Kerr St
Looks like it will be an underpass, but I was wrong about road alignment. The new road is to the west, with the current road alignment being used during construction. https://www.oakville.ca/residents/rs-studies-kerr-cnr-crossing.html

Preferred Final alignment:
1617744386918.png

Construction Alignment:
1617744569728.png

the community asked us to review two options – a wider slope without a retaining wall, as well as a secant pile wall.

We made our engineers available and sat down with the community group to review. Both options would have required the work area to extend much further into the ravine, resulting in more tree removals.

A wider slope would have resulted in parts of the creek being buried and would require significantly more tree removals.

A secant wall would still need to be placed on the slope, several metres from the current rail, to make space for the new rail and electrification infrastructure. But the equipment needed to build that type of wall must operate on a level surface, which would require an access road and dirt platform to be built. This option would have had the most significant impact on tree removals and the ravine.

Instead, a retaining wall was selected as the least intrusive option. It limits the work to Metrolinx property instead of city ravine lands.

Alongside replanting as many trees as possible that can fit into the area, what else can they do?

Looks like it will be an underpass, but I was wrong about road alignment. The new road is to the west, with the current road alignment being used during construction. https://www.oakville.ca/residents/rs-studies-kerr-cnr-crossing.html

Preferred Final alignment:
View attachment 310934
Construction Alignment:
View attachment 310935
Looks like ML had a hand in the change as eliminate the need for the barrier that needs to be place on the ramp and bridge for the overhead system as well increase the height of the bridge. The slope on the south side would have to be increase to match the new height as well the distance from Sheppard,

Sheppard was moved south to allow the new intersection when Rain was being built a few years ago..

The new alignment straightens out the road which was part of the overpass design.

I’m sure many of you will remember the work done in the lead up to the opening of the UP express. Today’s video discusses one of North America’s most under appreciated transit projects, and one that will be critical to the future of transit in Toronto, enjoy!

Back