News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.5K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 415     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

No fence? Between a public pathway and a pretty fast rail line? What's the speed limit through that piece, west of Woodbine?

The speed limit is technically 90 mph (145 km/h), but that segment is flanked by 80 mph (129 km/h) curves. Trains probably wouldn't bother accelerating above 130 km/h unless they're in an exceptional hurry.

Source: LAKESHORE EAST RAIL CORRIDOR EXPANSION | Don River to Scarborough Station Project EPR (2017), page 10 (PDF page 32)
Knipsel.JPG

^ Wonder if @crs1026 has the roll plans :)

I would try to find them but I find the Engage site hard to navigate. Not sure if they would be on the main Metrolinx website. I guess someone could also email the Toronto.East@Metrolinx.com account.
The track alignment plan from 2019 is here (70MB PDF): http://www.metrolinx.com/en/regionalplanning/rer/LSE_Segment1_Appendix A - Design Plates.pdf.

The new layout for Danforth Station is definitely not what I would have gone with. The station is shown with two island platforms (i.e. quad track express configuration), but this creates a whole bunch of headaches due to the need to shift the outer tracks around the platforms:

From page 14 of the EPR linked above:
The fourth track contains track separation from the existing Track 2 through Danforth GO Station. The Danforth GO Station future platforms will consist of two (2) islands. The platforms will also be relocated approximately 170 m east to allow the track not to impact the existing Main Street overpass.

The new track will take the place of the current westbound platform under the bridge.
Knipsel2.JPG

Knipsel3.JPG

This will make access to Main Street considerably less convenient than today, which in my opinion is a very big deal given the effects on access to Main Street Station. The reason the station is being shifted east is to allow the centre express tracks to have platforms, but without a convenient connection to the subway it wouldn't be worth stopping express trains there anyway. The area itself is quite lively, but it's not a destination to the point that many people would specifically heading there from Durham Region. And I say that as someone who used to live next door to the station.

In my opinion, it would be better to set up the station as local station with side platforms on the outer tracks only. Most importantly, it would allow the current westbound platform to remain as-is, along with its convenient access off Main Street. And the new eastbound platform would be accessible from the existing south exit from the pedestrian tunnel just east of Main Street. The new eastbound express track would take the place of the current island platform, and the new eastbound local track would be roughly in the position of the current eastbound track.

Existing side platform in grey, new side platform in beige:
Capture.JPG

On top of being much more convenient for customers, this configuration would also be much cheaper to build, because it:
- doesn't require the rail corridor to be widened at all
- avoids the need to extend the current pedestrian tunnel northward
- reduces the number of elevators required in the new pedestrian tunnels from 4 each to 2 each.
- avoids the need to rebuild the current westbound platform to the east

Last edited:
^ Thanks! 70MB. Sigh. They should create an interactive map with images that pop up and can be downloaded as .jpeg :)

^ I seem to recall some discussion way back in this thread about how the Danforth station plan has changed again, but I'm mobile and can't scroll back easily.

Those speeds are the "design" speeds for GO trains, presumably.

On the existing tracks, certain VIA equipment (LRC rated, ie P42 locos and LRC coaches, with no HEP or F40's in the consist) is allowed 100 mph in that stretch.

- Paul

^ I seem to recall some discussion way back in this thread about how the Danforth station plan has changed again, but I'm mobile and can't scroll back easily.

Those speeds are the "design" speeds for GO trains, presumably.

On the existing tracks, certain VIA equipment (LRC rated, ie P42 locos and LRC coaches, with no HEP or F40's in the consist) is allowed 100 mph in that stretch.

- Paul
So that is the only design that exists for LSE? they never released an updated design?
Note that the old scarborough station rail-under-rail grade separation is not a part of this

So that is the only design that exists for LSE? they never released an updated design?
Note that the old scarborough station rail-under-rail grade separation is not a part of this
The Scarborough Junction bit was an afterthought (*sigh* ... the need was obvious all along.....) and has its own TPAP addendum.

I seem to recall discussion on UT last year about a new plan that kept Danforth unchanged...... maybe @nfitz remembers?

- Paul

The Scarborough Junction bit was an afterthought (*sigh* ... the need was obvious all along.....) and has its own TPAP addendum.

I seem to recall discussion on UT last year about a new plan that kept Danforth unchanged...... maybe @nfitz remembers?

- Paul

Certainly that was not the alignment envisioned by the proponents of the new development north of Main Square.

Though, they didn't come to agreement with GO on a new entrance, and what the disagreements were I'm not clear on.

But they showed a configuration of side-island-side.

1617120204894.png

In general, its my impression that the significant shift to the east of the station was nixed.

I believe there may still be a small shift, given that Mx owns a lot on Dawes which they intended as PPUDO

wait i thought the 4th track was north of the existing tracks? is that not true?
It varies. Especially around Main Station, which is the foreground of some of those shots. There are station buildings in the way.

Certainly that was not the alignment envisioned by the proponents of the new development north of Main Square.
Which is much more recent.

I've seen numerous different design, all slowly creeping further west. The one in the EA is surely not current.

As far as I know, they haven't finished (or at least bothered to tell anyone) the design through Main yet. But I'm curious.

I'd assume though that the north side is the fourth track, and the south side, would be there equipment and office area is, as that's where there good road access is. Need to cut down a lot of trees for porta-potties! :)

What station is that a render of? It looks good.
Danforth, looking north up Main Street towards the subway station.

Just to keep everyone on their toes, I guess...

The most recent set of roll plans released for the electrification/additional tracks/Scarborough Grade Separation show that the existing Danforth Station will remain as-is, with a fourth track built on the south side and with a new platform servicing it.

Dan

Just to keep everyone on their toes, I guess...

The most recent set of roll plans released for the electrification/additional tracks/Scarborough Grade Separation show that the existing Danforth Station will remain as-is, with a fourth track built on the south side and with a new platform servicing it.

Dan
do you mind sourcing that? i found this, which isnt exactly specific on new tracks or platforms for Danforth https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/lakeshore_east_roll_plan.pdf

do you mind sourcing that? i found this, which isnt exactly specific on new tracks or platforms for Danforth https://www.metrolinxengage.com/sites/default/files/lakeshore_east_roll_plan.pdf

That's the one and the same. It's not very clear at first blush, but if you look closely around Danforth it shows tracks 2 and 3 realigned, with a 4th track located to the south. For whatever reason, they chose not to show track 1 through that section, although it does show crossovers leading to and from it.

Dan

The Toronto Danforth MPP is holding a virtual town hall on the Don Valley Layover.

Public Meeting for the Metrolinx Don Valley Service facility
You are invited to a Zoom webinar.
When: Apr 15, 2021 07:00 PM Eastern Time (US and Canada)
Topic: Don Valley Layover - Public Meeting
The invited panelists currently planned are Floyd Ruskin (Don't Mess With the Don), Paula Fletcher, Peter Tabuns, TRCA, Metrolinx, and Steve Smith.
Register in advance for this webinar:

Utility Crossing Work and Track Resurfacing at Kennedy Station's GO Corridor

April 2-4, 2021​

e9bda7d2-5853-4cc2-92ec-9521da1bf55b.jpg

Crews at Kennedy Station continue with GO corridor development, including utility installations. From Friday April 2 until Sunday April 4, crews will be installing utility casing crossings within the GO track area, followed by track resurfacing. Crews will be working from as early as 6:00am until 11:00pm.​

What to Expect​

Installation of utility casing includes the use of excavators, front end loaders, rollers, tampers, and track resurfacing equipment. Crews will be excavating to install the casing, welding the casings together, and then refilling and levelling the area with fresh granular material and compaction of the material into the ground. The track resurfacing equipment will then run along the track alignment. Noise from construction equipment caused by loaders, trucks, and other machinery, as well as dust and debris removal. Crews will be using a roller to perform backfilling and compaction works. Vibrations can be expected.​

HOURS OF WORK​

• Crews will be working from Friday April 2 until Sunday April 4​

• Crews will be working from 6:00am until 11:00pm​

• Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances​

• The contractor may not always work during the permitted hours but may do so at its discretion​

• This work may take longer or shorter than expected​

TRAFFIC DETAILS​

• All current traffic restrictions will remain in place​

PEDESTRIAN DETAILS​

• All current pedestrian restrictions will remain in place​

• Access to businesses and properties will be maintained​

Back