News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 394     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

^ The Budget doesn't indicate any changes to the current trajectory. The RFP is still in the market as well. Also, there was a recent regulation posting specifically mentioning electrification.

^ The Budget doesn't indicate any changes to the current trajectory. The RFP is still in the market as well. Also, there was a recent regulation posting specifically mentioning electrification.

I think it's fairly safe to say that electrification is happening. It's just a mere matter of when we can start seeing the first OCS poles go up.

I think it's fairly safe to say that electrification is happening. It's just a mere matter of when we can start seeing the first OCS poles go up.
You won't see the OCS poles, because the piles of procurement paperwork will be higher and will hide them. :)

Less sarcastically, ML seems to be on its same course.

Here are the 2021 (top) and previous (2020) Budget figures for transportation. I don't see any material change, although the money may have been moved around between projects.

- Paul

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.29.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.32.55 PM.png

Which reminds me....the ML Board meeting is coming up shortly. I always make it a point to compare to the previous report to see if anything has been quietly slid off the table. Nothing much has changed and the increase in expenses is as one would expect.

- Paul

Current Board Report

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.42.03 PM.png

Last Board Report

Screen Shot 2021-03-24 at 6.42.29 PM.png

You won't see the OCS poles, because the piles of procurement paperwork will be higher and will hide them. :)
The pace of the electrification project is disappointingly slow, and I don’t understand why. I only hope that I will actually see in complete it the next decade.

The pace of the electrification project is disappointingly slow, and I don’t understand why. I only hope that I will actually see in complete it the next decade.
Its because the focus so far has been on double tracking and station reconstruction, which tbh is kind of a good thing. I'd rather have double tracked and double platform diesel train service on Stouffville and Barrie instead of single tracked electrified service.

Do we know when the electrification work will start? The IO page doesn't seem to have a timeline.
It is part of the OnCorr projects, which the RFP is out, and is currently being bid on by several engineering firms. I don't know when the close is but I think it should be some time this year?

I said back in 2003 when funding of transit was to take place that $3B yearly was required until 2010 when it was to cover a large area at $7B than before. That would been $31B up to 2011. In 2019 the $7B jump to $12B with the Province subway plan and other plans. Up to 2019 $87B should be in the transit funding. Today, funding should be at about $111B.

Where transit was to be by 2020, it has only reach 50% of it at best and will be another 9 years before it reach the 2015 timeframe.

The fantasy thread was more on target than been joke about and what the final cost will be as well beyond what it should cost in the first place.

2022 will see it cost fully cover with the opening of the Crosstown Line follow by 2023 Finch Line and 2024 Hurontario Line. Then there the a number of other projects.

We see part of the money pit for Union Station stopping this year with the opening of the east concourse, but will be many more until the full completion.

2019 was the year EMU's would be running to the airport and looking like 2026 at this time.

Infrastructure building is costly and time consuming that it will be about 2027 when it could be completed, but still require existing sections of the system to be replace on an on going project.

The biggest issue to get things rebuilt, expanded is CN and CP. As long as both railways charge an arm and leg to add tracks and upgrading at their timetable, not ML, getting the GO system to 100% state is unknown at this time.

One of real unknow is the Milton Line as to when it will see 4 track in place of the current 2 with some 3 section which is about a $2.5B project.

Then there are the grade separations that are needed as ML is not funding them 100%. Kerr St is a good example of one that was supposed to happen 5 years ago and no current date as to when it will happen other than a yearly moving target these days by Oakville.

We should be looking at 2025/26 before new rolling stock start showing up starting with the motor power.

We could start a list of projects that are needed to get the system up to 100%, but it will be a changing one as to where the system is going to and a time frame.

To meet the need of any GO line, they needed to be double track 100% to meet future needs with some seeing 3 while others seeing 4.

It is part of the OnCorr projects, which the RFP is out, and is currently being bid on by several engineering firms. I don't know when the close is but I think it should be some time this year?
Yep. Late this year. And according to the Metrolinx website, work on the OnCorr works should start around next year.

John Tory ran for mayor on a platform of SmartTrack and we will be lucky if shovels are in the ground in 2026 for what has been downgraded to a plan to install at grade stations on existing lines? That is disappointing. But considering the first announcements of the Caledonia GO station being close to getting shovels in the ground was made in 2015 and there are no signs of that still I guess we shouldn't be too surprised.

I'm surprised there won't be shovels in the ground on East Harbour station until 2026. Though I guess it's not the most complex part of the Ontario Line.

I'm surprised there won't be shovels in the ground on East Harbour station until 2026. Though I guess it's not the most complex part of the Ontario Line.

East Harbour is not part of Smartrack. Metrolinx took it over and gave the city other projects of similar spending value.

Back