News   Oct 15, 2019
 139     0 
News   Oct 15, 2019
 311     0 
News   Oct 15, 2019
 444     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Can someone please explain to me how they expect hurontario to be completed by 2022?
It would be the end of 2022 at the earliest, but most likely early 2023. Unless you are working 7/24/365, going to be hard to make 2022. Eglinton Ave between DVP and Kennedy Rd is a good example what will happen to Hurontario as well how long it will take.

You got one underground station to be built, an elevated section for Sq One Station that will take longer to built than the guideway. Then there is the maintenance complex that needs to be built. The big issue will be when testing of the LRV's can start, let alone operating on a plan schedule for opening day for a few weeks.

Amare

Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a 0% chance Hurontario will be complete by 2022. People underestimate how complex the Hurontario LRT will be. The earliest i see it being completed is late 2023 (if shovels are on the ground by early 2020). More realistically, I see it dragging into early 2024.

I expect Metrolinx will be busy announcing delays to both the Eglinton and Hurontario LRTs in the near future.

lead82

Member Bio
Reaction score
Just look at how long it's taking to build the Viva lanes in York Region. These are much simpler road expansions without any rail installations and it's taken them 3-4 years to complete each project once construction actually starts. I also agree that the Eglinton Crosstown will not be open for business by September 2021. I'd expect at least 1-2 year delay. Hoping it opens in 2022 (which is 3 years later than originally planned - it was supposed to open this year).

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
There's a 0% chance Hurontario will be complete by 2022. People underestimate how complex the Hurontario LRT will be. The earliest i see it being completed is late 2023 (if shovels are on the ground by early 2020). More realistically, I see it dragging into early 2024.

I expect Metrolinx will be busy announcing delays to both the Eglinton and Hurontario LRTs in the near future.
I maybe wrong, 36 intersections will be partly to full closure to build the tracks across them. Some intersections have to be partly close as they are major cross roads as well off ramp for QEW/403/401. This is on top of what I post. Then building tracks over the 401/407. South of the QEW has to be widen.

Until the contact is sign by both parties, only then will we know the real opening date since the contractor will be call the date, not ML Given how late it is in the 2019, 2023/2024 are real opening dates.

cplchanb

Member Bio
Reaction score
Update on Bloomington GO station (with photos):
New GO station blooms from soggy ground in Richmond Hill
I usually try to see through some of the shenanigans ML does but this really is a massive waste and vanity project for a single track rush hour only service.
The size of this station rivals the terminus for LSE and W yet has little to no usage. At least back this thing up with double track and all day 2way service! hell it doesnt even have fully covered platforms!

Leo_Chan

Member Bio
Reaction score
Update on Bloomington GO station (with photos):
New GO station blooms from soggy ground in Richmond Hill
Located on the southwest section of Highway 404 and Bloomington Road, the station will boast a full slate of customer amenities: bus loop, more surface parking, accessible parking, pick-up and drop-off area, seamless integration with York Region Transit, platforms with shelters from the elements, customer ticket and waiting areas, and retail space.
What YRT routes will be using the bus terminal? Also, it’s funny they say this but don’t apply the same logic for Gormley GO.

Streety McCarface

Member Bio
Reaction score
I usually try to see through some of the shenanigans ML does but this really is a massive waste and vanity project for a single track rush hour only service.
The size of this station rivals the terminus for LSE and W yet has little to no usage. At least back this thing up with double track and all day 2way service! hell it doesnt even have fully covered platforms!
I wouldn't be so certain of that claim, Aldershot sees 2.5K boardings per day (*2) and Gormley sees 700 (*2), and Gormley doesn't have weekend service. Bloomington will certainly be a ghost town when the Richmond Hill trains aren't running, however, since it will likely have 2-3* the number of passengers as Gormley after maturation, the station will be very well used when it is used. Peak capacities count, and the unfortunate reality of stations on the Richmond Hill line is the fact that all passengers using it are concentrated to the few peak trains that run along it during the few peak hours when the line is running. Since a good portion of Aldershot's ridership comes from trains that don't run during peak hours, it doesn't need the capacity that a station like Bloomington might need.

More perspective: given the ridership numbers, and if we assume all departing passengers are on morning peak trains, the number of riders/train (and therefore, platform/station space required) is as follows:

(Passengers / # trains between 6:00 and 8:15)
Aldershot — 2,600 passengers / 9 trains = 288.88 passengers/train
Burlington — 3,000 / 11 = 272.72
Oshawa — 3,500 / 11= 318.18
Gormley — 705 / 5 = 141
Bloomington (Low) —1000 / 6 = 166.66
Bloomington (Likely) — 1500 / 6 = 250
Bloomington (High) — 2100 / 6 = 350

And these numbers are assuming Bloomington gets 6 trains (the current schedule has 5 trains to Gormley).

Fritter

Member Bio
Reaction score
I'm not going to fully defend the PC's, but I think some of the re-evaluating that they are imposing on Metrolinx for new builds and station redevelopments is to eliminate some of these Taj Mahal stations that were being built under the previous administration.

raptor

Member Bio
Reaction score
Heavy equipment, piles of ballast on and around the Roger's Rd bridge on the Barrie corridor. Hopefully part of the Barrie corridor expansion contract that was awarded in April.
Also noticed some work beginning in front of the No Frills at Lansdowne, including some ballast.

drum118

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Sept 17
Bramalea GO Station:
I can't believe how long it taking to rebuilt the south platform. Steel up for the roof and roofing about to be seal for it. Most of the platform edge in place and nearing the point snow melting system can be place for the platform.

The new east extension for track 2 & 3 platform is seeing the same thing as the south one. Nothing new for connecting the new tunnel to the centre platform, even though steel is up for the new north entrance.

By the looks of things, precast framing for the parking structure could start to go up in late Oct or Nov. Building the ramp walls now and could be finish end of the month or early Oct.

CN Torbram Grade Separation
Surprise to see the top of the east retaining wall still missing as well back filling. Some sidewalk work needs to be done as well paving the road.

Metrolinx Torbram Grade Separation
Been a busy beaver since I last the site that the south east retaining wall being top off and the will move to the north side this month to start finishing that retaining wall off. The east sidewalk is pour with the south end having handrail on it. Another truck load of handrail show up while there and could have all the railing install either this month or early Oct.

Grading and curbs being pour the north bound lanes and could be ready in Oct for paving.

Either Oct or Nov will see the grade separation cease to exist to the point the road will have to be close to remove the north temporary road so not to interfere with southbound traffic, as well getting ready to start the west retaining walls.

By summer of 2020, all the construction will be finish for this project.

Not sure if the CN track will be move back to where it was over the new 4 track bridge or leave it as it until it known what going to take place at the Halton Junction. A switch will have to be install to have track 1/2 connect to tracks 3 and 4 to the west of the road if CN track is move back to where it was before.

Barrie Line
Had a look at the line at Eglinton a few weeks ago and nothing new for either the Barrie Line or the Eglinton Line station.

Last edited:

joet00

Member Bio
Reaction score
Heavy equipment, piles of ballast on and around the Roger's Rd bridge on the Barrie corridor. Hopefully part of the Barrie corridor expansion contract that was awarded in April.
Also noticed some work beginning in front of the No Frills at Lansdowne, including some ballast.
One of four jobs listed as explanation for the bus-stitution this coming weekend:
  • Installation of concrete track panels and waterproofing on the Rogers Road rail bridge, for a smoother crossing over the bridge and ensuring durability of bridge infrastructure.