News   Apr 23, 2024
 715     1 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 408     0 
News   Apr 23, 2024
 1K     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

By "BCS's" do you mean the Business Case Analysis?

Phil also said last night that they came to an agreement with CN on the "minimum infrastructure required" and that they'll spend $75 million on the Georgetown solution. I wonder when we'll know if they are going to spend anything on the two-track section through downtown Brampton.

Here's the video:

No way it comes out like the rendering. There are huge structural issues with something like that - never mind the cost implications.

the roof just looks bloated and way too big. Why are they trying to design gigantic mausoleums like 407, bloomington and now this for stops that will have few riderships anyways. I would rather have this on a major terminal where the ridership will justify a larger structure. No wonder infrastructure is so expensive these days. We let utopian architects and designers go mad with idealistic and overly grandeur designs at our expense.

Honestly usually I would care but if its being paid for by private investment they can do whatever they want, as long as the station is accessible, heated and has bike storage, etc.

I can see the case for this not being a UPX stop considering that the Finch West LRT would be extended to the airport. The LRT serves the purpose, therefore no one would ride it, and it would be a time cost to everyone else. After all, that plus adding a stop at Mount Dennis would make this far from an "express" train.
But a UPX stop on the Kitchener corridor closer to Pearson would make it easier for eastbound Kitchener GO passengers to get to Pearson. Move Weston UPX to Mount Dennis UPX then the stop spacing should be fine with Highway 27 UPX.

Over what period of time would these savings of $35B be achieved?
Just as a follow up.....this is why we should question things......according to the Metrolinx financial report for the year ending March 31 2017 ....if their operating costs were reduced to zero it would still take over 35 years to save $35B.....put another way, how does an organization with annual operating costs of under $1B ever “save” $35B?

I know about that development, but the flacks didn't say it that way, and the Canadian Press published what they wrote, and the media simply cut//paste it as fact.
In the PR release they don't talk about that development at all. They simply call the station "the project," then say "the project will create 4,500 jobs".
And put a racetrack rabbit in every pot! It's almost as absurd as the '9000 jobs lost if SNC-Lavalin must atone for their criminal activity'.

I'm reminded of the adage: "They couldn't say that if it wasn't true"...lol...

...put another way, how does an organization with annual operating costs of under $1B ever “save” $35B?

It'll be as compared to 12-car diesel trains at 15 minute frequencies which is significantly more service than they provide today and I really doubt the government would launch that level of service with that high of a subsidy requirement. So, it's savings versus a fictitious scenario.

Also, savings like that almost always include inflation and are not scaled to NPV. Meaning, If operating expenses in 2050 might be $3B/year (in 2050 money) and they save $2B/year of 2050 money, they'll have $20B in the total despite only being worth ~$7B today.

So yeah, you're right to question it.

But a UPX stop on the Kitchener corridor closer to Pearson would make it easier for eastbound Kitchener GO passengers to get to Pearson. Move Weston UPX to Mount Dennis UPX then the stop spacing should be fine with Highway 27 UPX.

I thought about that, but why wouldn't those EB passengers just take the LRT to the airport that comes every 5 minutes vs the UPX that comes every 15?

Are we, the public, going to see detailed plans before construction starts? Is the new Metrolinx construction model to have ZERO public input?

Back