News   Jul 15, 2024
 769     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 917     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 639     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Any word on the RER on corridor package?

Also in an unrelated note, UP Express was packed today (didn't seem to be any service issues) which has me more concerned than usual. When Mt.Dennis opens I fully expect that to have a significant positive impact on ridership. I seriously hope they can actually achieve the promised 12m frequencies . . .:/
RER On Corridor RFP to be released around June

"Everything's open to review"...brace yourself.
In the case that they cut the project back what do we expect to see survive?
Here's what I expect: Private Initiative to fill the vacuum. It won't even be solicited by the present regime, it will be proposed by consortiums, most likely through the federal infrastructure bank. Think REM in Montreal, albeit a more robust rolling stock.
Canada Infrastructure Bank invests in Réseau express métropolitain ...

https://www.cdpqinfra.com/.../canada-infrastructure-bank-invests-réseau-express-métr...

Aug 22, 2018 - REM project financing completed Montréal, August 22, 2018 – Canada ... agreement on the investment by Canada Infrastructure Bank in the ...
REM project financing completed - Canada Infrastructure Bank invests ...

https://www.newswire.ca/.../rem-project-financing-completed---canada-infrastructure-...

Aug 22, 2018 - REM project financing completed - Canada Infrastructure Bank invests in Réseau express métropolitain project with $1.28 billion, 15-year loan ...
Canada Infrastructure Bank

https://cib-bic.ca/en/

Canada Infrastructure Bank attracts and co-invests with private sector and institutional investors in new, revenue-generating infrastructure projects that are in the ...

Canada Infrastructure Bank delivers loan for REM project - ReNew ...

https://www.renewcanada.net/canada-infrastructure-bank-delivers-loan-for-rem-project/

Aug 22, 2018 - The Canada Infrastructure Bank (CIB) and CDPQ Infra, a subsidiary of the Caisse de depot et placement du Québec, have entered into an ...
[...] etc...

Last edited:
I suppose though it would probably be the first time that had happened. I would certainly hope you see some limited work continue. Even electrifying LSE alone would be very positive in my mind.
It's essential in my view, and the Georgetown Corridor, but Ford Cantation Nation have an exquisite 'get out of jail free' card by their terms, and it's the Quebec example with REM. I can't believe they're not going to use it. They've already resorted to the "Notwithstanding Clause". They'll do whatever it takes to suck the oxygen out of the room. Oxygen is money.

The infra bank may help fund much needed projects in Toronto, but let's not forget maintenance. As recently revealed, the TTC needs $23 billion to essentially just keep the lights on. Is there a strong business case to be made for private enterprise funding maintenance? It would appear that grand new announcements are "sexier" than nuts and bolts maintenance. And it seems to me that the TTC will still need a stable and substantial revenue source for SOGR, the backlog for which will only grow if private enterprise helps build more transit lines. That being said, I assume contracts will be structured to ensure the private consortium will also fund ongoing maintenance for whatever they build. However, what of current SOGR needs on existing infra?

Is there a strong business case to be made for private enterprise funding maintenance?
assume contracts will be structured to ensure the private consortium will also fund ongoing maintenance for whatever they build.
the TTC will still need a stable and substantial revenue source for SOGR, the backlog for which will only grow if private enterprise helps build more transit lines.
All excellent points. I see it being essential that these questions be answered and the context more widely discussed, because like it or not, it's not a matter of 'if this coming', it's 'when' and 'how much'?.

First question:
There's an excellent case to be made in most instances for contracting out maintenance. That's already here and now, but needs a lot more discussion.

Second:
That will all be part of the contract, and by far, again in most instances for the higher tech maintenance, best those who build it, and own it, maintain it. The advantage there is that it's in the interest of the owners to protect their investment. What's up in the air is whether, like CP and CN, they continue owning the asset, or if it reverts to the 'commonwealth' after a certain amount of time, like Hwy 407. (which is just a lease)

Third:
This shouldn't be affected. I highly suspect when Ford team see the choices in front of them, they won't upload anything. Consider this from their stated ideology ("subways, subways, subways" besides, which is just maniacal ranting): If Enterprise can go around them, and deal with only the Feds (at arm's length, which the Feds will also like, through the InfraBank, but the Feds get credit for it in the Public's eye) then it gives QP far more reason to step back rather than forward.

They will have the perfect excuse, even dealing with their own sycophants, to say: "It's out of our hands, but we will consider being part of that particular consortium project".

I have to repeat, and only a few will take issue with this: In light of the attitude and approach the QP Cons are taking now, and will continue to take, things don't look rosy, and the vision is precarious at best.

I'd much rather trust a consortium under the aegis of the InfraBank who have the Feds at their back to judge situations on a case-by-case basis for a business plan. The plan comes in under a considered threshold to be profitable and sustainable? Then the Feds and/or the Province can step in with a contribution of size to gain voting shares on the board for the building of the project, and in the lease to run the operation, or in part if the lease is private also, then a subsidy determined by contract for operating expenses is also included.

It would behoove VIA Rail and CN/CP to also partake in such consortiums, with agreed priority for passenger of course, but now we're getting down to nuts and bolts. Will discuss that further in an appropriate string if opened at this site. I think such a string would not only host excellent discussion on this, but also educate some readers on the differences between DBFOM and the many other forms of P3, right up to totally private, with no public shareholders.

We have to get in front of this, because it's coming folks. It's already well-handled in Oz, Japan and other nations. Studies and precedents already exist.

Addendum: There's a lot of lit on-line for the Ozzie model, I've just scanned through a number, but this one is particularly neutral and analytical:
The Entrepreneur Rail Model: Funding urban rail through majority private investment in urban regeneration
Author links open overlay panel PeterNewmanSebastianDavies-SlateEvanJones
Show more
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.retrec.2017.04.005Get rights and content
Under a Creative Commons license
open access

Abstract
The 21st century has seen an unprecedented expansion of urban rail as a response to urban congestion, low carbon mobility and as a seed for urban regeneration. Many cities would like to do much more rail in their futures to create knowledge economy centres but cannot find the funding, including Australian cities that are the focus for this paper. Four approaches to funding are outlined from fully government to fully private with two in between. The Entrepreneur Rail Model suggests a majority private sector funding can facilitate the new markets for urban regeneration as well as providing integrated rail that government's usually find difficult to fund. The process requires transit planning to be seen primarily as a land development tool rather than a transport system. This was the historical function of urban rail in the nineteenth and early twentieth century and signals a significant new 21st century rail market as well as the need for new procurement and governance systems for land assembly and transport planning that can ensure network integration, new assessment models and public good outcomes.
[...]

Download PDF

See also:
Transport projects have now replaced mining infrastructure spending in Australia
CHRIS PASH
FEB 1, 2018, 9:43 AM
[...]
While the report doesn’t identify whether the investment is from government or the private sector, or where it occurs, both the NSW and Victorian governments have embarked on massive infrastructure programs in recent years.

Sydney alone has more than $50 billion worth of transport projects underway, including the $17 billion WestConnex tollway, the $14bn Northern Beaches and Western Harbour tollways, the $3bn NorthConnex, the $8.3bn Sydney Metro North West rail line, and $2.1b Sydney Light Rail.

Melbourne’s transport projects include the $16.5bn North East Link toll road, the $6.7bn West Gate Tunnel and and the $11bn Metro rail project.

Latter article above isn't an academic one, but it does give an overview of the scale of investment underway in Oz (a lot of it is P3, some completely private), but to put a perspective on this...what Ottawa has just paid for the Trans-Mountain Pipeline could alone build the full Missing Link to radically transform the ease of Private Finance 'buying into' GTHA rail projects.

And do it without court hearings and other very clumsy moves on the part of certain actors.

To put that into very biased and subjective terms: "They owe us" the Missing Link. What's "good for Alberta" has to apply even more for Ontario, that no matter how you cut it, provides a much greater slice of GDP. Oddly, the Ont-Cons are very silent on that. I blame dogma myself.
https://en.wikipedia.org/.../List_of_Canadian_provinces_and_territories_by_gross_dome...

At the very least, the Feds could put their share required under the Railways Relocations...Act into the Infra-Bank to spur private investment for the remaining 50%. It is guaranteed Section 92 status under the Constitution and various acts, Transportation, Railway Acts over the years, and used some 400 times already in Canada's history to be "Federally Regulated" "for the general advantage of Canada". And the cherry on the cake is that it's been tested and accepted by the Supreme Court many times, also to cover "street railways and tramways" if so desired.

Example (there are many more decisions that quote the Acts)
Supreme Court of Canada
Canadian Pacific Railway Co. v. Attorney-General of British Columbia, [1948] S.C.R. 373
Date: 1948-27-04

[...]
We were then referred to subsection 21 of section 2 of the Railway Act:—

(21) "railway" means any railway which the company has authority to construct or operate, and includes all branches, extensions, sidings, stations, depots, wharves, rolling stock, equipment, stores, property real or personal and works connected therewith, and also any railway bridge, tunnel or other structure which the company is authorized to construct; and, except where the context is inapplicable, includes street railway and tramway;
[...]

Let Ford be hoisted by his own differential! We can work around him. If we pay the piper, we can choose who we wish to pipe.

Last edited:
A few more IO tidbits on GO RER:

“The one thing I can say from my vantage point right now, even though we have a Conservative government and they are watching their pennies, they are also willing to invest in infrastructure.”​
...​
Transit is the major focus, Gauer noted, with the GO Regional Express Rail expansion being the big one coming down the pipe.​
“Those who have been bidding the work have seen about a dozen early works contracts through us but there are many more smaller projects that are being done through direct delivery or traditional delivery through Metrolinx itself,” said Gauer.​
“The big one is really the expansion of the electrification. It’s going to be a new type of contract. In the past we said here is the scope, go build it and give us your best price. On this one we’re saying we want you to operate a railway for 30 years, this is what we think you need to build to make it happen.​

It also appears IO will be doing a whole lot more tenders in the future, including handling the smaller stuff, on behalf of other departments.

translation: delays, delays and more delays

Maybe, but it's also possible sending everything through IO could slightly shorten delays by eliminating the "do we tender this direct or via IO?" decision process.

It's pretty clear Metrolinx struggles to write and enforce quality tenders. I don't know if IO can fix that or not, but Metrolinx needs quite a bit of help.

A few more IO tidbits on GO RER:

“The one thing I can say from my vantage point right now, even though we have a Conservative government and they are watching their pennies, they are also willing to invest in infrastructure.”​
...​
Transit is the major focus, Gauer noted, with the GO Regional Express Rail expansion being the big one coming down the pipe.​
“Those who have been bidding the work have seen about a dozen early works contracts through us but there are many more smaller projects that are being done through direct delivery or traditional delivery through Metrolinx itself,” said Gauer.​
“The big one is really the expansion of the electrification. It’s going to be a new type of contract. In the past we said here is the scope, go build it and give us your best price. On this one we’re saying we want you to operate a railway for 30 years, this is what we think you need to build to make it happen.​

It also appears IO will be doing a whole lot more tenders in the future, including handling the smaller stuff, on behalf of other departments.
Read further:
“This government has taken the handcuffs off our delivery model and really allows us to do the right project the right way, so that’s really a new way of doing things from that perspective,” Chris Gauer told the audience at the Toronto Construction Association’s Annual General Meeting and Best of the Best Awards held Feb. 21 in Etobicoke, Ont.

“I run the P3 (public-private partnerships) team but we just got the direct delivery team put on the team too, so now this new government will actually allow us to do everything from soup to nuts. We are allowed to do small projects, we’re allowed to do the big ones and we’re allowed to look at any kind of delivery model.”

While governments have been committing to infrastructure at all levels, there are questions about the pipeline.

“It’s causing the industry some concern but this is normal in a transition between different governments,” explained Gauer.
The "P3" was perhaps somewhat subtle?

Now I'm very much in favour of Private Investment, I see it as the only way forward at this time, but not by the likes of the leaking Ford crankcase grease pan...
Maybe, but it's also possible sending everything through IO could slightly shorten delays by eliminating the "do we tender this direct or via IO?" decision process.

It's pretty clear Metrolinx struggles to write and enforce quality tenders. I don't know if IO can fix that or not, but Metrolinx needs quite a bit of help.
So by-pass Metrolinx altogether. In fact, by-pass Queen's Park altogether. Time for the InfraBank to step in "for the general advantage of Canada" and offer federal charters to massive projects to do what the pretend construction friendly (read Ford "buddies") are chomping at like piranhas for the DBFOM morsels thrown their way.

Last edited:
On the Kitchener livestream, Phil Verster said that GO Expansion (GO RER) is going before the Treasury Board this week. Would make sense, so it could be considered for the spring budget. Phil is giving some really great and in-depth answers, it's awesome.
Im currently at this town hall, they also touched on the $75 million investment for the Kitchener alone and building slidings between Georgetown and Kitchener for counter morning service.

There are currently 33 at grade crossings Westward from Georgetown. They touched on the need to either close or grade separate to increase service levels.

I’m really excited by the answers Phil and his team are giving. They’re going in depth. Once the video is posted, I encourage watching it.

On the Kitchener livestream, Phil Verster said that GO Expansion (GO RER) is going before the Treasury Board this week. Would make sense, so it could be considered for the spring budget. Phil is giving some really great and in-depth answers, it's awesome.

Update, in a later question Phil said he presented GO Expansion/RER to the PC Cabinet today. He mentioned how RER will save $35 billion in operational costs. He said that they were "switched on" to the idea. Also, it's still up to the bidders to determine catenary or hydrogen. Seems we're close to a decision on this.

Back