News   Apr 23, 2024
 26     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 822     0 
News   Apr 22, 2024
 284     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Site plan approval submitted yesterday to relocate Oriole GO Station to 2760 Old Leslie Street. This is the location of the TTC Leslie Station Parking Lot. The site is located adjacent to the bus terminal entrance of Leslie Subway Station which would greatly improve the TTC/GO connection.
At least Metrolinx is finally getting one connection going in the right direction making the connection with the TTC, while the other (Danforth GO) goes backwards and makes the connection with TTC even worse.

At least Metrolinx is finally getting one connection going in the right direction making the connection with the TTC, while the other (Danforth GO) goes backwards and makes the connection with TTC even worse.

Have we seen the formal application on Danforth yet?

I know I saw modelling with a slight eastward shift.

But last I had heard, they had retained access at Main.

Did I miss something?

^No formal application that I know of yet, but I expect that we'll be hearing more about it in the months to come.

while the other (Danforth GO) goes backwards and makes the connection with TTC even worse.
Is one really necessary? how many riders do you think that use Danforth Go station have come out of Main Street station? Also how many riders do you think Danforth actually sees in a day? I've been at it at many different times of the day and the most I've seen has been 10 other people when there wasn't a problem with the subway.

Is one really necessary? how many riders do you think that use Danforth Go station have come out of Main Street station? Also how many riders do you think Danforth actually sees in a day? I've been at it at many different times of the day and the most I've seen has been 10 other people when there wasn't a problem with the subway.
Insert Fare Integration argument here.

I think that ship set sail when the people of Ontario elected Doug Ford. Even with fare integration I still don't see a reason for there to be any special link to Danforth go train station from main street.

Well youre wrong because anyone who has done school within urban planning knows that intermodal connections are the most important aspect of a properly integrated large transit system.

I've seen a lot more than 10. Heck, I've seen that many on the eastbound platform at times, let alone the one to downtown.

Oriole has 5 departures a day to Union. Danforth has 58 departures a day to Union. Surely Danforth sees a lot more riders a day than Oriole!

Normally I walk off the Danforth platform to the south - but occasionally I walk up to Main Street station. I see quite a few people doing the same.

Well youre wrong because anyone who has done school within urban planning knows that intermodal connections are the most important aspect of a properly integrated large transit system.
Do you think that the premier and his cabinet known anything about urban planning? Don't forget he thinks that a subway to Pickering is a good idea.

I've seen a lot more than 10. Heck, I've seen that many on the eastbound platform at times, let alone the one to downtown.

Oriole has 5 departures a day to Union. Danforth has 58 departures a day to Union. Surely Danforth sees a lot more riders a day than Oriole!

Normally I walk off the Danforth platform to the south - but occasionally I walk up to Main Street station. I see quite a few people doing the same.
Honestly I don't see there being a need for a tunnel to main Street station from their it's just as easy to walk to it, it's not like the walk from Dundas west to the bloor go/ upx station which isn't as easy to find from each other.

Honestly I don't see there being a need for a tunnel to main Street station from their it's just as easy to walk to it, it's not like the walk from Dundas west to the bloor go/ upx station which isn't as easy to find from each other.
Not sure anyone mentioned a tunnel ... the discussion was a connection. Moving the platform further east, makes the walking connection further.

My main point was I've seen a lot more than 10 people at Danforth GO. I might have seen 10 there at some times. But a maximum? At rush hour, or after an event downtown?

Not sure anyone mentioned a tunnel ... the discussion was a connection. Moving the platform further east, makes the walking connection further.
What kind of connection do people mean then. I mean it's not like it's that far of a walk to get from one to the other.

There is no right/wrong here. Knock off the elitism, degrees don’t prove common sense or clear thinking.

I use the Danforth link all the time. It’s shorter than many connecting tunnels or walkways in lots of transit ‘hubs’....or single stations, for that matter. I prefer being on the side of the street rather than in a walled off walkway, as the latter can feel less secure at night. There could be better wayfinding, and a bit of roofing or windbreak might be nice, but that might actually make the streetscape less attractive overall. Maybe Main Station could use an underground tunnel with a south side entrance on Danforth, that would enhance the subway and remove the need to cross Danforth on foot - but that’s a lot of money. Walking is good.

- Paul

looks like Metrolinx is relocating Oriole GO up to Leslie TTC station, finally:

oriole.JPG

Back