News   Apr 25, 2024
 606     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 505     0 
News   Apr 25, 2024
 752     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

Are there advantages/disadvantages to wood?

Oddly, many locations started using concrete because they simply couldn't get wood chunks in that size anymore. It's the same reason Australia uses steel and concrete for minor electrical poles in the middle of nowhere.

Ontario doesn't have any wood shortages. It remains a very cheap building material. I assume the cost of replacing wood ties every decade (how often do they get replaced?) is the cheaper option. It didn't work out for the TTC tram tracks that way because they bury most of their wood ties under a layer of concrete.

Oddly, many locations started using concrete because they simply couldn't get wood chunks in that size anymore. It's the same reason Australia uses steel and concrete for minor electrical poles in the middle of nowhere.

Ontario doesn't have any wood shortages. It remains a very cheap building material. I assume the cost of replacing wood ties every decade (how often do they get replaced?) is the cheaper option. It didn't work out for the TTC tram tracks that way because they bury most of their wood ties under a layer of concrete.

Additionally, concrete cracks easily under the constant vibrations. I can't imagine concrete maintenance being cheaper than wood maintenance.

I'm under the impression that they don't need to maintain it, just replace it.

Concrete is more expensive than wood, naturally, and concrete is typically used for high speed rail infrastructure which we do not intend to have.

Dupont Bridge

April 03
Bridge 1
5587989328_fd96ec4689_b.jpg

5587990352_5d153e632d_b.jpg

Bridge 2
5587402153_5fa4b00162_b.jpg

5587399855_90b95ce0c3_b.jpg

5587994480_5bdc1018bc_b.jpg

I live downtown adjacent to the Go Transit system and they've been shooting piles into the ground during the night. Since I'm renting, I don't think I was notified by the community board. I think this construction has to do with the Don Railyard, a component of the Union Station Renewal program.

I've tried to google some facts about the project but no luck.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

http://www.gotransit.com/unionstation/en/improvements/trackimprovements.aspx

There are other issues with wood as well, such as ground water or insect populations, or the prohibition of chemicals used to treat and preserve ties. In Toronto and most of Canada, we have none of those problems.

There are three major strikes against concrete ties. The first is cost - they are about 10-times more expensive to purchase than wood. The second is installation - they can not be installed by hand, and require expensive and complex machinery to install or replace. The third is that they have no impact resistance, and have to be replaced in the event of a derailment.

Concrete ties will last 2 to 4 times longer than wood ties, but then again so do composite ties and they don't cost nearly as much and don't require nearly as much machinery to install.

In the case of the TTC, the reason why they had such bad luck with the ties is that they switched from treated to untreated ties in the mid-1970s. The treated ties would last just as long encased in concrete as they would in the open - 20 to 30 years - but untreated actually lasted shorter in concrete than in ballast.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

When I worked in the UK, the big think was passive posts, steel columns that would shear like a wood one would and a driver could walk away from a 60mph crash. The things cost $20,000 each instead of a pair of 4x4s, but it was cost-effective because there is no wood or coal to be had at a decent price.

Concrete ties are used on curves and bridges where a higher stiffness is required. Also in areas with shallow services concrete ties are less deep than wood ties. A treated wood tie has an average service life of about 25 years. The newest big thing on the market is plastic ties. Stiffer than wood, machine or hand installed, and lighter than both concrete and wood.

Ultimately for all the pro's and con's wood is used because its much cheaper than the alternatives. The average cost of a wooden tie from creation to installation is only 100$ There are 3300 tie's in a mile, leading to a total cost of 330,000$ per mile of mainline track. Interestingly enough the GO built GO sub is the only GTA mainline which uses concrete ties for any long stretch, These ties have shown a much greater resistance to wear then the wooden ties elsewhere on the system, rarely needing to be replace. For example, there is a tie replacement program in place on the Oakville Sub and in some stretches they’ve mark every second wooden tie for replacement. On the other hand freight movements are not permitted on the GO sub(though of course there wouldn’t be any point in running freights along the dead-ended sub anyways) and so it has only had 500 ton GO trains travel over it and not any monster 10,000 ton freight. The steel wheels on your average freight car are only taken out of service when a defect has exceeded certain parameters, where as on a GO train the wheels are much more regularly tuned before defects become too prominent. Therefore the wheel impact loads are much greater from your typical freight due to this and the much greater avg weight per car. This greatly increase the forces projected onto the rails and then on to the ties and also exacerbates the creation of further wheel defects.

Clarkson GO Station April 07, 2011

My comments are on my youtube video. Long ways to go to finsh this station off.
[video=youtube;BwNuxngs8KI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BwNuxngs8KI[/video]

I'm surprised that they wouldn't paint the Dupont Bridge after installing it. Do they want the thing to last or not?
The new bridges are weathering steel that don't require any painting.

As for the existing bridges, I'm not holding my breath the Metrolinx will repaint them, considering the poor shape they are in.

All the existing bridges need to be sandblast and repainted.

The new bridges are weathering steel that don't require any painting.

As for the existing bridges, I'm not holding my breath the Metrolinx will repaint them, considering the poor shape they are in.

All the existing bridges need to be sandblast and repainted.
I'm reasonably sure that the City of Toronto is responsible for the bridge maintainance from the deck down. Otherwise it's CN/CP (whichever specific one). Either way, in this case Metrolinx only is responsible for making new things, not fixing old ones.

Burlington +30 bridge walkway

April 07
Caught 655 lashed up to 607 going to and from Aldershot. I caught it lashed up at Barthurst Yard in Feb and this has been the longest I have seen new power lash up. This is the last of the new power for the fleet until the next order.
5600052012_88a22a7b47_b.jpg

5600042408_1f329d7092_b.jpg

[video=youtube;jhedaBDLYZE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhedaBDLYZE[/video]

It sure is creating a lot of rust. That cement was bright white and now has rust stains all over it.

http://urbantoronto.ca/forumdisplay.php?8-Transportation-Infrastructure

"Weathering steel, best-known under the trademark COR-TEN steel and sometimes written without the hyphen as "Corten steel", is a group of steel alloys which were developed to eliminate the need for painting, and form a stable rust-like appearance if exposed to the weather for several years."

Essentially, the outside layer is expected to form a heavy layer of rust. This layer of rust is actually the protective coating once formed which prevents the inside from deteriorating.

Think of it like a scorched log in a fire. The outside charcoal, if you can prevent it from flaking off, can reduce the rate of burn for the wood on the inside

Last edited:

Back