News   May 03, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 03, 2024
 615     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 297     0 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

I live by Pearson and never even notice the planes anymore.

I live close to Pearson and I sometimes can hear them. Usually it's when Westbound jets take off in an easterly direction and have to swing around to the north, you can hear their engines strain with the combination of climb and turn. Though it's never a disrupt my conversation in my backyard type of deal. I think people just like to complain sometimes, or are super sensitive.

I also have a CN line running near my house (the proposed GO Bolton line) and I rarely hear the trains, however my brother-in says he can hear the trains clearly whenever he's visiting.

I too live near the Airport and don't notice the planes passing, especially since they stopped using the north runway since the late 90's.
I'm also ~1km from the Georgetown line (Malton GO stn) and have to really listen really carefully to hear a GO train pulling off during rush hour.

Really how much outside noise is heard in a condo is dependent on how well built the windows are, and how much light comes in depends on the blinds being used. I lived in a building next to the Gardiner and heard less than I did living in a building on Eglinton. One building had two panes of glass, one which was quite thick, and the other had a single pane. Complaining about the lights makes no sense... go get a properly sized roller blind.

I disagree to an extent - construction lighting should be shielded, not least to redirect more light onto the actual construction. If it's leaking upward from the lamp (as opposed to surface reflection) then it's waste. Light pollution used to be about effects on astronomy but as we build higher and higher it also affects people's homes.

The Bulletin has a story on Cityplace residents upset by construction noise around Bathurst Yard.

Landsdowne Bridge, Sunday, April 03, 2011

April 03 shots of the new bridges. They were still putting the final peices on the last section of the first bridge at 10:00 am. The first section of bridge 2 is on the flat deck with the the other sections still to come on site after this one is off loaded.
5587383789_446e9d7df3_b.jpg

2nd bridge location
5587966566_053a306fce_b.jpg

5587962580_68c137d0d4_b.jpg

The rest of the photos
[video=youtube;B43eMBeUDRo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B43eMBeUDRo[/video]

GO Bloor St Bridges

April 03-2011
With adding a new track #1 on the east side of the existing Bloor platform, access to that platform will be close of to it from the RailPath. This will require people to use the stairs to Bloor and then backup to the platform. There is very little room to put in a new platform between the new track and the RailPath.
5587961562_758a2c6abd_b.jpg

5587952852_cef87eb1ba_b.jpg

5587359697_ec491df296_b.jpg

Other photos
[video=youtube;3IToczI-_FY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IToczI-_FY[/video]

So this new track is going where that grassy section is? How come?

This area as well the area on the west side of the 2nd platforms, are the 2 remaining places in this rail corridor where new tracks can go without reloacting or removing the existing platforms.

You could removed the RailPath, but asking for nothing but problems in doing so for a new track loction.

This area as well the area on the west side of the 2nd platforms, are the 2 remaining places in this rail corridor where new tracks can go without reloacting or removing the existing platforms.

You could removed the RailPath, but asking for nothing but problems in doing so for a new track loction.
I believe they are intending to put a track through that side as well, taking it from 4 existing to 6 tracks plus the pedestrain bridge.

If you look at the video of the first few photos, you will see where the 2nd bridge is going.

There is talk that the Milton train is to stop here in the future, but would be a waste of tracks to the west of the new far track as well requiring a number of crossover switches north of Dupont and south of Bloor.

Another reason to get trains delay during the winter months going through these crossovers.

I live downtown adjacent to the Go Transit system and they've been shooting piles into the ground during the night. Since I'm renting, I don't think I was notified by the community board. I think this construction has to do with the Don Railyard, a component of the Union Station Renewal program.

I've tried to google some facts about the project but no luck.

Can someone help me?

Thanks.

Queen St Bridges

April 03
The bearing walls are ready for the 2 new bridges to go Queen St at Dufferin and you can see there is still room for 2 more.

New tracks are being laid on the 2 west CP bridges. This will mean the Milton trains will have their own track just north of King St to the Galt Sub in the coming months and not interfer with the other lines.
5587704233_bf73275e62_b.jpg

5588294694_1c8eb08c30_b.jpg

5587689595_464f396eab_b.jpg

5587690987_eb20df77a3_b.jpg

Thanks for the photos, drum. It's always cool to see transit construction photos - they're a little more of a rare find in Toronto than condo construction photos, if you know what I mean!

Another question: why do we continue to lay tracks with wooden ties? Most of the American Class 1 railroads now use concrete ties in new track construction and I can't remember the last time I saw track laid in Europe with wood. Are there advantages/disadvantages to wood?

Back