News   Jun 17, 2024
 50     0 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 2.5K     1 
News   Jun 14, 2024
 1.8K     1 

GO Transit: Construction Projects (Metrolinx, various)

lol i'm not even going to bother addressing these peoples concerns. All i'm going to say is this; if someone purchases a house next to a rail corridor, highway, airport, or major arterial road and later expect traffic levels to get better or stay the same X years down the road, then that person is living in their own delusional world.

There used to a stop at Lorne Park Rd on the west side and the south side of it and it was move to Clarkson to speed up service.

Hmm, I didn't know that! Lorne Park has always struck me as a good location for a fill-in station. No parking or anything, just a local station for the community. Obviously with diesel bi-levels that type of stop frequency is tough, but with RER I'd like to see it included.

There used to a stop at Lorne Park Rd on the west side and the south side of it and it was move to Clarkson to speed up service.

Yes, there was a stop at Lorne Park, but it wasn't closed to "speed up service".

Lorne Park was used as a CN (and prior to that, Grand Trunk) station to service the western part of what is now Mississauga. When GO was starting up in the mid-1960s, they decided rather quickly that the station site at Lorne Park was inadequate for the station facilities that they had planned, and so built what is now known as Clarkson Station at Southdown Rd.

The problem was that there was already an established commuter ridership from Lorne Park. So when GO started in May 1967, they ran all of their trains stopping at Clarkson save for one pair, which stopped at Lorne Park instead at approximately the same times that the old CN commuter trains to Hamilton did. They arrangement lasted for a couple of months, by which time GO had been able to convince most of the riders to use Clarkson instead.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

If ones look at the homes in this area, we are not talking about houses $500,000 to $1,000,000, but up to $15,000,000.

before making grandiose blanket statements its fairly easy to look at realtor.ca. Homes will go from $1.0 to $1.5M in this area. And in this real estate market this is not even classified as a expensive house.

before making grandiose blanket statements its fairly easy to look at realtor.ca. Homes will go from $1.0 to $1.5M in this area. And in this real estate market this is not even classified as a expensive house.

That would list houses on sale, not all houses that exist.

Yes, there was a stop at Lorne Park, but it wasn't closed to "speed up service".

Lorne Park was used as a CN (and prior to that, Grand Trunk) station to service the western part of what is now Mississauga. When GO was starting up in the mid-1960s, they decided rather quickly that the station site at Lorne Park was inadequate for the station facilities that they had planned, and so built what is now known as Clarkson Station at Southdown Rd.

The problem was that there was already an established commuter ridership from Lorne Park. So when GO started in May 1967, they ran all of their trains stopping at Clarkson save for one pair, which stopped at Lorne Park instead at approximately the same times that the old CN commuter trains to Hamilton did. They arrangement lasted for a couple of months, by which time GO had been able to convince most of the riders to use Clarkson instead.
Hang on - looking at the pre-GO Transit commuter schedule (peak service only), the stops were Sunnyside, Mimico, Long Branch, Lakeview, Port Credit, Lorne Park, Clarkson, Oakville, Bronte, Burlington, Hamilton (CN).

As far as I know, Clarkson dates back to the 1850s.

Here is part of what I have on a web page for Clarkson:

The first station for Clarkson was at Clarkson´s Corner located at Clarkson Road in 1853 service by Grand Trunk. It was known as "The chief strawberry shipping station of Ontario".

The line was single track with sidings until 1922 when a 2nd track was built for TH&B by Grand Trunk.

On May 23, 1967, a new station was open at Southdown Road at Coordinates:43�30'44" N, 79�38'5" W call Clarkson and replaced the Clarkson´s Corner as well Lorne Park station.

The station is on the mainline of CN Oakville Sub at mile marker 26.9km from Union Station.

GO Transit offer hour service for weekday only.

On July 1, 1967, service became all day for 7 days of the week for this station.

I'm not sure how the new Clarkson GO station that is further west on Southdown than the old one on Clarkson would replace the Lorne Park station, given the new Clarkson station was further away from Lorne Park than the old one was!

BTW, here's an old photo of the Clarkson station from the City of Mississauga website:

Not sure where I should put this, but NIMBY folks are at it in Mississauga again from the building of the 3rd Lakeshore Track.

I wonder if they understand what was coming their way during the EA stage or paid no attention to it? Did they attend any of the public meetings and voice their concerns?? I know the issues was raise during the EA.

Another bunch of residents who fail to understand what RR can do in in the future, specially the coming of the RER that will double the current volume of traffic in the corridor.

How long has there been 30 minutes service to this now surfacing??

Metrolinx rail lines a nightmare for Lorne Park residents

As a Clarkson/Lorne Park resident myself, I can attest that Lorne Parkers are perhaps the biggest bunch of babies within Mississauga proper. Bramblewood Lane is perhaps on the lower end of the LP real estate scale ($1 million - $1.5 million range) and perhaps the threat to their already lesser property value (relatively speaking) is what drives their protest.

Birchwood/Whiteoaks of Jalna is just as close to the rail corridor and its property values are immensely higher. Ditto for the Mineola section of Port Credit; yet you don't hear complaints coming from those residents.

While on TTC route 40 bus heading to Dundas West Station Sat April 30, noticed that Metrolinx New Sound Barrier wall at Dupont is heavy tag as well to the south. Nice precast wall at Dupont that tagger likes to tag and how long will it take Metrolinx to remove the tags??

Even the plexi panels above the precast have been tag. Didn't have time to get off the bus to take photos of it.

Screenshot of the corridor just south of Dundas. The inside walls along the entire route are like this. Plexi glass paint are tagged but with less and are less easily visible too

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160501-152917.png
    Screenshot_20160501-152917.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 403
How far is this double-tracking project supposed to go?

It's enough to meet McGuinty's hourly service promise; 6-km between York U and Rutherford. Just enough that 2 trains can pass each-other running in opposite directions.

The EA to double track (triple track some sections?) nearly the entire corridor (for RER) is expected to be finished in December 2016 (start "early" 2016) though I cannot find anything to indicate it's currently in progress. The small chunk with the Davenport grade separation is a separate EA from the rest of the corridor.

With luck, they'll be able to start tendering bridge rebuilds as this small piece of double-tracking is finished.

Last edited:
It's enough to meet McGuinty's hourly service promise; 6-km between York U and Rutherford. Just enough that 2 trains can pass each-other running in opposite directions.

The EA to double track (triple track some sections?) nearly the entire corridor (for RER) is expected to be finished in December 2016 (start "early" 2016) though I cannot find anything to indicate it's currently in progress. The small chunk with the Davenport grade separation is a separate EA from the rest of the corridor.

Hourly service, but only as far as Maple or King City, given that it takes 25 minutes from Rutherford to Aurora and 52 minutes from Union to Aurora. Hourly service any further north would require another siding to allow 3 trainsets on the line.

With luck, they'll be able to start tendering bridge rebuilds as this small piece of double-tracking is finished.

Bridge rebuilds for widening? South of Aurora, all the bridges already support at least two tracks:
Dundas: 2 tracks (overpass)
Bloor: 2 tracks
Dupont: 3 tracks
Davenport: 3 tracks
St. Clair: 2 tracks
Rogers: 2 tracks
Eglinton: 2 tracks (overpass)
Lawrence: 3 tracks
Wilson: 3 tracks
Hwy 401: 3 tracks (?)(overpass)
Sheppard: 3 tracks - some plans for Downsview Park station depict 3 tracks with 2 side platforms
Finch: 3 tracks
Steeles: 2 tracks
CN York Sub: 2 tracks
Hwy 407: 2 tracks
Hwy 7: 2 tracks
Don River: 3 tracks (double tracking under construction)
Major Mac: 2 tracks
Keele: 2 tracks (overpass; already double-tracked)
King Rd/Keele: 2 tracks (overpass)
Bathurst: 2 tracks (overpass)

It looks like the line was double-tracked at some point in the past, which makes me wonder why we even need an EA for the southern portion of the line.

In and north of Aurora, there are some single-tracked bridges, but there are also enough other constraints that I assume those bridge rebuilds will come about from the general study on double tracking.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 01.03.48.png
    Screen Shot 2016-05-02 at 01.03.48.png
    433 KB · Views: 963

Back